CHT guage where to find them?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

CHT guage where to find them?

Post by Flea_Biskit »

I am in need of a cht gauge where can i find a relative inexpensive one i thought there was already a post on this and searched but found nothing so does anyone have one they want to sell or a link that i could buy one from thanks
Ride it like you stole it'
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: CHT guage where to find them?

Post by mousewheels »

This will get you some names and prices - but shop around for price. The Westach and VDO gauges are some that folks use.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges.html

TrailTech Vapor can do CHT plus tach/speedo/clock
http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

keep your eye on ebay, i got mine for 15 bucks shipped.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

My CHT is made for snowmobiles.

Its not all big and bulky :naughty:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Here's a 2" one FS on Egay for around $30 shipped
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

yah i was looking at that also but it is in c* metric that would upset me if i did not catch that
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The CHT will give you delayed temp info and will not inform you soon enough to prevent a seizure. An EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) will tell you soon enough for you to prevent the seizure by shutting the engine off.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

thanks for the input i don't think i really want to drill a hole in my exhaust and a cht is better than a no temp gauge i just want it for rough estimates any ways more for curiosity and the effects of jetting to the chtemp thanks im thinking im just gonna break down and get the trail tech vapor
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

thanks for the input i don't think i really want to drill a hole in my exhaust and a cht is better than a no temp gauge i just want it for rough estimates any ways more for curiosity and the effects of jetting to the chtemp thanks im thinking im just gonna break down and get the trail tech vapor
The Trail Tech Vapor looks good to me. I'll buy one eventually. Feature/dollar wise they are good, and owners postings here have been positive. If you know you want a tach and its other features, in the long run it saves $$.

On the very low end, an electronic meter like used in the CHT thread and a homemade ring for a spark plug or head bolt mount can get you in for about $12. Downside with this meter is measures degrees C only. Another option is you can get DMM's with a thermocouple input for around $25, including the thermocouple. Both are covered in this link: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =8&t=12078

Low cost meter link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-LCD-Type-K- ... 35a889d700

The Microfilight CHT's as sold on eBay (search for CHT there) + probe will get you in a panel mount gauge around $50 (BTW - I've not totaled the shipping costs). However they have no thermal compensation. The thermocouple sensor is a *relative temperature* sensor. Thus if in the morning, the temperature is 50F, and in the afternoon, baking in the sun your CHT is at 120F, there is an error in readings between morning to afternoon of 70F. Because of the differential nature, when its cold out, the meter reads high. When it's hot, the danger is it reads low. This style of meter is accurate at exactly one temperature, usually around room temp. A thermally compensated meter would correct for ambient temperature.

Electronic meters can implement temperature compensation inexpensively. I found that the $12 meter had temperature compensation.
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

thanks!