new boy

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: new boy

Post by drizzle »

Lunytune wrote:
bigluelok wrote:a zoomer/ruckus variator swap there are a few big bore kits available.
Interesting. Sounds like a major operation, in consideration the SB50 is fixed pulley, no variator.

Tazland 44mm kit will help, but you can't expect it to compare to an Elite SA or SR.
the vision is like the US Aero. SE50 motor, variator, limited (but available) aftermarket selection.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

drizzle wrote:the vision is like the US Aero. SE50 motor, variator, limited (but available) aftermarket selection.
Okay, missed that somehow. Seems I read that early on but forgot.

The Aero has same motor as the 89-93 Elite SA. daywot has a 65cc Polini that works pretty good. I have one on my 89 SA.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

i only seem to have a 12 digit engine vin number and a 11 digit chassis number, so how the heck do i decode it to determine what model it is.
On my documents it says at honda NB50MF
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The US has mandated a 17-digit VIN since the '80s. Evidently this is an U.K. model. Odds are it's the same engine specs as the '86-'87 Aero and the Elites in the US up to 1993, but be careful. Engine detail specs differed in different countries. The belt/transmission components are almost guaranteed to be the same, but intake manifolds, reed blocks and airboxes can be different. If you can get some close-ups of the engine disassembled, I or someone here can surely help.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

Ok so been doing some mods this weekend like adding new tyres and adding an extra front light, the only problem is i have wired in the extra light but i seem to only get 9v AC from it and i think 12v AC come from the flywheel to the headlight.

The way i wired was taking a spur from the dash board headlamp indicator bulb down to a switch then from the switch to the light, also adding a ground from the horn.

The normal headlight works fine but no light from the new light, any one have any ideas?

Here is what she looks like now!!
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

easily the most beautiful scooter paint job i've ever seen. :worship:

and its good to see i'm not the only one running knobbies on an aero!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

deckstar wrote:Ok so been doing some mods this weekend like adding new tyres and adding an extra front light, the only problem is i have wired in the extra light but i seem to only get 9v AC from it and i think 12v AC come from the flywheel to the headlight.

The way i wired was taking a spur from the dash board headlamp indicator bulb down to a switch then from the switch to the light, also adding a ground from the horn.
I'd chase down where those 3 volts are being dropped between the stator and ground. Then home in on the exact location.
  1. Stator headlight coil (its the yellow wire for US Aero) to ground. If this is low, then check the headlight wattage, it could be too high for the stator output.
  2. Aux headlight to engine stator coil (same yellow wire)
  3. Aux headlight ground to engine ground
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

are you sure it is a fixed pully?
Ride it like you stole it'
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

Thanks Drizzle! :thumbwink: i like it, i've got a few graffiti mates over here in the UK bit like banksy so got them to do it for me.

I took the bike out for a spin today and try the light whilst running and the light comes on, so i think maybe at low revs there is not enough voltage to make it light. Mouswheels i think your right about the wattage as it is a 48watt bulb which works out as 4A which is quite a lot as i think the aero only has a 7A fuse.

Can anyone think of any more modifications i could do which are cheap and easy?
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

take off the restrictor plate from the back of the variator. upjet the carb from 80 to 85. don't know if these hold true for the UK NB50, but it's true for the US version.
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

drizzle wrote:take off the restrictor plate from the back of the variator. upjet the carb from 80 to 85. don't know if these hold true for the UK NB50, but it's true for the US version.

thanks drizzle, are they both easy to do?
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

deckstar wrote:i only seem to have a 12 digit engine vin number and a 11 digit chassis number, so how the heck do i decode it to determine what model it is.
On my documents it says at honda NB50MF
The NB50 MF should have the model number as follows:

AF09 NB 50 G-H / MF Aero / NE 50 MF (England)

Honda scooters all have a 12-digit frame number in addition to VIN numbers that may be obligatory in some countries.
The frame numbers for NB 50 MFs started numbering from AF09-1000038.

The engine number should start with AF05E

EDIT:

Check out my website for a fuller description of how the VIN code can be read:

http://www.scooterpartsauction.com/hond ... Codes.html
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

deckstar wrote:
drizzle wrote:take off the restrictor plate from the back of the variator. upjet the carb from 80 to 85. don't know if these hold true for the UK NB50, but it's true for the US version.

thanks drizzle, are they both easy to do?
depends on your set of tools.
the re-jet is easy, although you have to go to your local dealer and order the 85 main jet. the elite 50 has the same carburetor, so if they don't have it for the aero, just ask for the elite 50 par.t

this link shows the restrictor plate/"outer ring". you can take it off to get a few extra MPH/KPH or whatever.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4513

also, if you have access to a rotary tool to grind a few mm's of metal from the starter housing, you can find a used cheap honda ruckus/zoomer variator to put in, and that will give you a good extra 5mph to use.
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

thanks guys, i will have a go today :thumbwink:
deckstar
BMX
BMX

Post by deckstar »

drizzle wrote: this link shows the restrictor plate/"outer ring". you can take it off to get a few extra MPH/KPH or whatever.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4513
Do i just take the outer ring off, and put the whole thing back on without it? How does the rollers and everything stay in as the outer ring holds it all together?