Help with problem [Spree Won't Take Throttle - Ed.]

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

smsudad
Noob
Noob

Help with problem [Spree Won't Take Throttle - Ed.]

Post by smsudad »

Hi, My 1986 spree was running great till this morning when it started bogging down, no throttle response except for a gasping sound. It will idle but dies as soon as you advance throttle. It seems that fuel is arriving at carb. Cannot advance throttle at all. Like its either flooded out or starving for gas. Any suggestions will be appreciated.......... I changed the plug, readjusted the carb settings, I even kicked the tire once. Doug
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Help with problem

Post by fastplastic »

check for air leaks
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

smsudad wrote:Hi, My 1986 spree was running great till this morning when it started bogging down, no throttle response except for a gasping sound. It will idle but dies as soon as you advance throttle. It seems that fuel is arriving at carb. Cannot advance throttle at all. Like its either flooded out or starving for gas. Any suggestions will be appreciated.......... I changed the plug, readjusted the carb settings, I even kicked the tire once. Doug

Stop kicking the poor thing and look for an air leak. Like the tube between the carb & air box or the box lid? That is what I would look at. :hi:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

Thanks will be first on the list............ Air leak will be back with results
one_wierd_guy
Noob
Noob

Post by one_wierd_guy »

My spree does this every now and then too, and I'm surprized that someone hasn't said this yet, clean the carb out. Sometimes just draining the bowl out and spraying some carb cleaner through it works for me, and sometimes I have to take it apart and deep clean it, but either way the carbs on these things don't take much to plug them up, and if the gas can't flow freely through the jet then it won't do much more than idol. Even if that's not the problem, it never hurts to clean the carb out, just my 2 cents from personal experance.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

New fuel lines and an inline fuel filter would prevent most of this sort of thing.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

one_wierd_guy wrote:My spree does this every now and then too, and I'm surprized that someone hasn't said this yet, clean the carb out. Sometimes just draining the bowl out and spraying some carb cleaner through it works for me, and sometimes I have to take it apart and deep clean it, but either way the carbs on these things don't take much to plug them up, and if the gas can't flow freely through the jet then it won't do much more than idol. Even if that's not the problem, it never hurts to clean the carb out, just my 2 cents from personal experance.
dude you need an inline filter if this keeps happening and new fuel lines like bear said or do a better clean out on your carb :thumbwink: and maybe check your tank for rust to
one_wierd_guy
Noob
Noob

Post by one_wierd_guy »

fastplastic wrote: dude you need an inline filter if this keeps happening and new fuel lines like bear said or do a better clean out on your carb :thumbwink: and maybe check your tank for rust to
I have an in-line filter, and I know my tank has rust, that's a later project. For now I carry a can of carb clean with me and use it at the first sign of a dirty carb :2thumbs:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

one_wierd_guy wrote:
fastplastic wrote: dude you need an inline filter if this keeps happening and new fuel lines like bear said or do a better clean out on your carb :thumbwink: and maybe check your tank for rust to
I have an in-line filter, and I know my tank has rust, that's a later project. For now I carry a can of carb clean with me and use it at the first sign of a dirty carb :2thumbs:
Just install new fuel lines and the issue will "go away." Quit screwing around with carb cleaner.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Help with problem [Spree Won't Take Throttle - Ed.]

Post by fastplastic »

any one scared of the smaller rust maybe making it to the boar and hurting anything?
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

I could never find an air leak....... with the intake tube off and covering the carb intake with one finger ( choking it ) it started running better, eg: would rev with throttle opening. This may have cleared some dirt from carb ( i cleaned it twice and rebuilt it ) I'm still not sure why but it started running better. Rain here today so I'll post when it stops and I can ride more. I will install an inline filter tho. Any idea what size fuel hoses are on these. On a lighter note I bought another spree last night and am cleaning carb and tank now. It looks like the owner was using 2 stroke oil ( the pre mix type) and not injector oil. Any chance this will harm anything. I plan on draining tank and replacing with Yamahlube injector oil. Thanks again, Doug
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

Rain stopped and no improvement on spree. I can still hold half of the intake opening blocked and it seems to accelerate fine while in garage. If I stop blocking the carb intake it fails to accelerate and still has the gasping noise. It seems like this would be an indication of not enough fuel, or too much air going into engine but I know not which. I removed carb again and cleaned everything. I also moved throttle needle up one notch 9 it was on 3rd and I moved to second ) and still seems not to help. scooter starts well and idles well, ( hunts a little ) but seems steady otherwise. Any suggestions? I also added an inline gas filter and cleaned tank out but found no dirt. The gas valve appears to work ok, I used vacuum on lower hose and fuel flowed freely to carb. Thanks again, Doug
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

Little more update, removed and cleaned carb again, got scoot to accelerate some but now it bogs down at about 1/2 throttle, can't go over about 15 mph. it continues to run at steady throttle but misfires and coughs if i try to accelerate. Any help will be appreciated.