25 year old sticker removal

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

scottorious
Goped
Goped

25 year old sticker removal

Post by scottorious »

anybody have any advice on how to get my crummy 25 year old decals off my aero?
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 25 year old sticker removal

Post by mr pibbs »

You may apply heat to re sticky it, but you will likely have mixed success with their age and run the possibility of warping the plastic (been there).

I would try a plastic putty knife and some goo-gone. I found my bottle of googone at the dollar store.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

When I use to bring in the bikes from Japan I had to remove old sticker all the time. I use to use a steam gun first to get the sticker off then used goo gone to remove the old adhesive goo. Hope that helps. The best part about this is no scratches or digs into the panel.

Taz
fatrat440
Goped
Goped

Post by fatrat440 »

Soak plastics in very hot water for half hour or so, makes those stickers come right off.
1984 Honda Spree Iowa.

1986 Honda Spree Iowa.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Save yourself the cost of Goo-Gone........once you peel the vinyl, the best thing I've found is plain old WD-40 to dissolve and make the adhesive become very easy to wipe off. If you have ever got any carb cleaner on plastic, you'll know the hazzard of that. WD-40 is oilly enough to NOT have the same disasterous affect.......try and see........ :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
scottorious
Goped
Goped

Post by scottorious »

Cool, thanks for the info. I tried a heat gun and it worked pretty well but I am going to try the hot water tactic next. I have both goo-gone and wd40 on hand so I'll try whichever works better but I do typically just use wd40 for this type of thing.
scottorious
Goped
Goped

Post by scottorious »

just got the decals off with a little heat and an old gift card that I sharpened an edge on. The only problem now is that in the 4 minutes I let the goo gone and wd soak neither produced good results...so I sprayed one side down with wd40 and the other with goo gone and im gonna let them sit a while and see if either works.
scottorious
Goped
Goped

Post by scottorious »

just let the goo gone and wd soak for an hour and it didnt even touch the adhesive. any suggestions? Would rubbing alcohol harm anything?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

What's the end goal here? Are you prepping them for paint, or just want them off?

I use a razor blade to remove them. Sometimes some laquer thinner if I think it will help. This takes off paint too, but I only do this when I plan to repaint anyway.

If you want to remove them and save the surface, the methods you're using will probably be fine.

Either way, it takes some time and patience.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I use lighter fluid I find it works the best for me. Ive used it on many many things from guitars to saxaphones to cars. Although goo gone and WD-40 also work ,lighter fluid seems to be faster for me. Somtimes i find that a little heat is needed to get the sticker itself off first, or at least a corner to get some Lighter fluid at the adhesive. I like the sounds of the plastic gift card I will try that trick as i travel a lot and have tons of those credit card hotel keys kicking around.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock