Gyro Exhaust Mod ---Will this work?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Gyro Exhaust Mod ---Will this work?

Post by bakaracer »

thats why you curl the stinger pipe back in the direction you want the silencer to be. you can make a reverse cove design like the dio can style pipes are and make the baffle inside. just take a aftermarket dio or se50 pipe and start from there. you just will have to use a smaller diameter header pipe to match your cylinder.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
motormike

Post by motormike »

That works to keep the silencer within the sphere of the powerplant..............
we'll call that the "back-up" plan..............tnx baka......................... :hi:
as I look at these pix, I ask myself................Self, why dont you just de-restrict the factory pipe :?: :?: .....
whadda ya think :?: :?: ................................................................ :coolcruise:
Attachments
z-3.jpg
z-3.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (145.44 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

Anybody ever split a stock gyro pipe :?: ............................ :urban:
RideRed
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

motormike wrote:I figure if it works for 100cc, it will work for 50cc.............. :urban:

Hey Mike,

A 100cc pipe wont do very well on the 50cc engine.

Look into the pipes made by Malossi, maybe you can find something similar to the "Wild Lion" they once produced for the Gyro...
motormike

Post by motormike »

Yeah brad3.........agreed.......what I was saying is,.....since the theory works for Yammy 100, same theory, different measurements, will work for 50......this whole thread has developed new trains of thought all along.....uncertain what will actually come to be, but credit the collective minds.................... :confused: :nerd: :sad: :happy: :surprise: :urban: :wink: :naughty: :love: :crazy: :smile: :geekdance: :nervous: 8) :twisted: :| :D :D :D :D :D :D
RideRed
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

2 stroke exhaust tuning is a lot of math and physics with a little magic thrown in. 4 stroke exhausts are simple compare to a 2 stroke pipe.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

It is a bit overwhelming.........i'm hoping to stumble into something along the trail of learning............Yeah, I was real lousy at physics,...2 F's & a D,....or was that chemistry?.......................... :urban:
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

Picking it up again with bits of the puzzle that have returned from Indy with me.......specifically, an RLV Supercan exhaust, Yamaha yt100, ...... :ndance: :ndance: ........as fate would have it, during the recent moped rally[INDY] a very good friend donated his spare can for the cause.....saved me $90.....wont take long to fab this to a head pipe and see what happens.....here's a few shots,......taken hastily in poor setting, with my eyes shut,....one foot,....no underwear.............. :coolcruise: ................... :urban:
Attachments
DSC00532.JPG
DSC00532.JPG (160.96 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
DSC00531.JPG
DSC00531.JPG (161.56 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
can.jpg
can.jpg (2.39 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
RideRed
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Nice... Any free RLV parts are good... !

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure how well that particular RLV exhaust can will work on your gyro. I think I've read that the RLV can is designed for a more "stock" class of kt100 racing; it does not have any type of "cone contra-cone" design as in most 2 stroke expansion chamber pipes. I kinda doubt that this pipe will allow your engine to "get on the pipe" at a specific rpm.
I do think it will flow much more free than the stock exhaust, but that's not always a good thing. Honda designed even their scooter exhausts to make efficient "power" and flow as the engine should.
Why not adapt an actual expansion chamber designed for a 50cc engine? Just an idea...

Keep us posted, dude- j :thumbwink:
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motormike

Post by motormike »

z50r-ghost wrote:Why not adapt an actual expansion chamber designed for a 50cc engine? Just an idea...
Chances are good that what you suggest will happen......all this being an experimentation...... :confused: .......it is more logical to use an expansion chamber, however....I've started down this avenue of thought and come to the point of having actual parts in my hand[no cost].......the "plumbing" on the gyro has been the driving force behind my quest to find something that both increases performance and stays compact and tucked-in out of the racing space......your point that the "CAN" exhaust is intended to keep horsepower limited is understood......the only way to satisfy my curiosity is make the can fit, test for improvement, and see what the result is......if all this comes proves to be worthless, then I find a pipe to try.......a circuit pipe seems to be the best answer for keeping everything compact, but even then, I'll have to be changing the geometry........okay, moving on...........thanx ghost............................ :urban:
RideRed
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

I just read this thread and am interested in the results.
One thing that kept sticking to me:
what's good for 100cc should in theory be good for 50cc
the smallest they make is 80cc

so then I thought, didn't someone say there was a big bore kit that adapts easily to the Gyro?
I would talk to Tazland001, I'm sure he's at least attempted it, if so, rather than refab a 80cc pipe for a 50cc engine, why not go easier and make the engine a 80cc to match the pipe?

Just a thought.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

also, at one point I almost bought a little folding moped and came across a German site as dedicated to Di Blasi as we are to Spree/Elites here.
This is the expansion exhaust they put on:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... asir7.html

just more food for thought for you.
motormike

Post by motormike »

thanx eft37........Di Blasi pipes really small that first one.....really like the second circuit pipe.....I'll pm taz but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer....no bbk yet....no kit easily adaptable either that I have found......in due time , I suppose.......this bike only had 1K miles when I started racing it.....content to run it til it blows and worry about upgrades later.....I'll probably manage to burn it up trying use this exhaust.......chase the dream
taz has piston that will work in my bore once it is opened up to 44mm......
RideRed