Variator question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Variator question

Post by SE50_4_ME »

G'day all. Thought i'd stop by and say hello. Hello. :hi:

I have recently renewed my interest in rebuilding my scooter. A 1992 Honda Dio SR.
I bought it as a parts bike, as it was stripped down a fair bit. (although I think i may have bitten off more than i can chew :confused: )
No dash, handle bars, throttle control, brake levers, brake lines, top end of engine was stripped, kick-start assembly missing, the whole cvt section stripped and missing pieces, no belt, no rear rack or lighting etc and a couple of other misc things... although, all the plastic body panels were there and in somewhat reasonable condition.

So i have been saving my pennies and buying some parts from the wreckers/Honda/ebay.

Now i have one question:
I bought a new replacement variator from ebay but it does not come with the rear plate, (the one the gets held on with 3 small bolts) or threaded holes to attach the old one.. just wondering what happens now??? If i install variator without the plate wont the ramp plate come off and the weights go everywhere??

Appreciate your answers for a relitive newbie in the hobby..
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Variator question

Post by swimmingfree »

no it will go faster lol
when you put it in dont put grease in it run it dry hope you got new rollers as well
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

you that extra plate with three screws was a restriction to keep the ramp plate and rollers from moving out as far as they can
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Post by SE50_4_ME »

Yes i did. I got 7 gram ones... compared to the standard 8.5 gram ones. (which were quite flattened off)

But yeah, i did some more searching and found this thread...
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =4&t=18261

Which was yeah basically what i was asking (how do all the pieces stay inside?)
All good thanks for your advice swimming free and mystic. :worship:

So is there anywhere where in the whole crankshaft/kickstart section which requires grease??? What about the rear shaft where the clutch assembly goes????
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

no ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

Not really, you can put a little grease under the castle shaped gear that engages the drive face on the kickstarter and a small amount of grease on the roller bearings inside the clutch but you want to use a hightemp grease that doesnt harden otherwise its best not to use any at all. No grease on the rollers :P
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The rear pulley sits on roller bearings over the clutch shaft. Once in a while, disassembly cleaning and fresh grease might be a good idea, but the seals keep the good stuff in and the bad stuff out. Time to malfunction may exceed the life of the rest of the scooter.

The kickstart shaft is in a bushing that might need attention periodically. The shaft and the half-moon gear as well as the spindle gear should keep a nice coating of grease to work well. If the pedal doesn't come up freely as you release kick pressure, it's time to have a look.

The early variator assemblies had an o-ringed cover and ran in grease, but Honda-san realized it was more trouble than it was worth, and discontinued the cover/grease in 1994. Run the rollers dry. "Rounding off" the ramp plate to keep it from cutting into the rollers is the only step necessary beyond Honda's to make the roller weights last a bit longer. The roller weights stay inside their tracks simply because the gap between the ramp plate and the variator doesn't open wide enough to let them out.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Post by SE50_4_ME »

Thanks again for advice guys... heres some pics to show you ....

Empty varitor case ready for parts... Took me ages to clean it up, was coated in thick black 5hit.

Parts layed out including new pulley boss, belt, nuts, varitor, weights...

Nearly ready for cover