My crappy day working on a scooter...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

My crappy day working on a scooter...

Post by 87spree70superbee »

First off, sorry but I didn't take pictures. My camera broke.

Anyway, my uncle purchased a used non-running 1987 Honda SE50P Elite from someone, wanting to replace his Spree in the trailer. Being a scooter buff, he tossed me the keys and told me to get it running. So I checked the gas tank and... Totally empty. I pulled the sending unit and the tank had no rust in it, shockingly. I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and pushed it to the local gas station, about a block away. Filled it up with premium (less ethanol in it) and gave it a kick... Surprise surprise, it started right up. :naughty: I let it warm up for a minute while I purchased a drink and paid for the gas (I kept an eye on it) and rode it back to the shop. It would bog and die if you went over 15. :sad: I limped it back and pulled the side cover... Holy moly, spiderwebs and a birds nest under the side panels! :surprise: I got to work and cleaned all that up, and pulled the air filter cover. Disintegrated. :( Pulled the carb and cleaned it out.

So the next day I come back out to check it out, and the rear tire is flat. I call my local Honda dealer, and they have a tube, but they tell me they have to order the filter. No problem, so I pull the spark plug. Carbon built up everywhere. I know my uncle doesn't want to spend much money on the thing, so I put the plug in the vise and heat the thing up red hot with the torch. I Let it cool down and sanded it, and it looks brand new. :wink: I went to put it back in, and I notice something weird, it looks like there's mud in the cooling head fins. I pulled the plastic shroud, and oh my god... Someone went mudding with this scooter and only cleaned the outsides... Not one cooling fin didn't have mud in it. :surprise: I put the plug back in and broke out the power washer... The flywheel and fan were coated too. Thankfully this thing didn't seize.

I pulled the rear wheel off and got the old tube out. It was cracking, so I didn't want to try patching it. I also figured out why the rear brake doesn't work. The actuator lever that twists and expands the pads seized in the braking position, and the previous owner continued to drive it and just wore out the brake pads. :eyeroll: I couldn't get the stupid thing un-seized for the life of me... Torching, hammering, WD-40-ing, nothing worked. :evil: so I pulled out the brake pads. It's not coming loose. :*: maybe I'll try again later, I don't know.

Then I got a call from the Honda dealer while I was putting the shrouds back on. They can't get the air filter. :x Apparently the SE50P is a one-year model, and most parts are discontinued. So I had no other choice... I had them order me a 95 main jet and I got a K&N filter for it. Picked the tube and jet up, and put both in. I fill the tire up only to realize that I pinched the tube somewhere and it's leaking. :evil: I pulled it back out and found the pinched spot... It's patchable. I hopped on my Spree and rode the 10 blocks to the hardware store, only to realize that I forgot to put my license plate on it... (facepalm.) I picked up an inner tube patch and managed to get back to the shop without getting pulled over, and put it back in again... This time it held. :D

I got everything re-assembled and put my Spree license plate on the Elite. (This way the cops don't have a reason to pull me over) and went out for a test drive. Top speed with the de-restricted intake was 34 MPH. :geekdance: Overall I was happy with the result. All we need is the kick start, if we put a battery in it, everyone would forget to turn off the key. We just have to be careful when driving it, seeing as that it only has a front brake. Even so, it stops very well. I set the brake so it still stops quickly, but won't lock up on pavement. I was doing full speed and got cut off in traffic, then he decided to stop quickly. With only a front brake, I went from 34 to 0 very easily, and at no time did I feel like I was going to lose it.

So there's my nightmare for the year.
Nick
Last edited by 87spree70superbee on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Re: My crappy day working on a scooter...

Post by Pineapplegti »

I've got a af05 variated kickstart cover and kicker if you need it
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

I appreciate the offer, but we have the kick start. I was saying that if we put a battery in it, it'll just get killed right away.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You may have to "persuade" the brake cam out with a hammer. Then you can ream out its corroded aluminum socket and smooth the steel cam with wire brush. Dont remove too much material, and grease generously with Lithium grease before reassembly. Just dont ride without both brakes. The life you save may be your uncle's.

Nice job resurrecting. You can use the airbox cover to trace on a urethane sponge. Oil before install.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Wheelman, I tried everything to get that stupid thing out. If we ever wanted to get it working again, I'd probably have to drill a series of holes in the cam shaft and totally destroy it to get it out. It was really in there. I have no idea how steel rusts to aluminum, but it happened here. My uncle is okay with only having a front brake. This thing was a no-title bike and it is only used as a get-around at the drag strip. It's all paved, and there's a 20 MPH speed limit in the pits, so the likelihood of someone getting injured is far less than if it was a streetable scooter. If he had the intentions to ride it on the street, I would've probably drilled it out already. :-)
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Rear brake... galvanic corrosion, steel to aluminum. Can be very difficult to remove. Penetrating oil and time are best, but front brake is ~70% of stopping... so for track, probably fine.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products