New to sight from Ohio.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

greyhawk
Noob
Noob

New to sight from Ohio.

Post by greyhawk »

Recently purchased a 1992 Elite 80. It's a fun little machine.
We are a retired couple with a travel trailer that we pull with a P/U truck. Wanted a small scooter to load in the bed of the truck and to use for running around campgrounds and/or exploring new areas in foreign lands - so to speak.
Started riding in 1962. My first scooter was a Lambretta. I've owned several motorcycles over the years, everything from a 175 Enduro up to a 2007 Goldwing. Due to joint and muscle pain, I was forced to abandon full size bikes. However, I still enjoy riding.
This past spring. I sold an R1100RT BMW and purchased a Yamaha Majestic that is great for local commutes (<<- I hope I'm not using any bad words here) but it's too big for loading in a P/U. That is when I found this Elite. That prompted my on-line search for information - and here I am. Thanks for all of the good information on here. Looks like I have hours of reading ahead. :thumbwink:
Only have one subject for question (for now); Does the Elite 80 have lights to illuminate the dash panel?? If yes, How many are for that purpose?? Can the be changed w/o removing the entire cluster??
Thank you in advance for your help.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: New to sight from Ohio.

Post by mousewheels »

Hi and Welcome!
You can download the Elite 80 service manual at this site from this link. Click Me!

From the electrical diagram it looks there may be more than one dash lamp (not all lamps are labeled). I've never been into the dash of an Elite 80, getting to the dash lamps of the 50's is not too bad. It requires pulling the head plastic, and disconnection of the speedo and harnesses.
greyhawk
Noob
Noob

Post by greyhawk »

Thank you for the warm welcome and the link.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Welcome greyhawk... :hi:
The Elite 80 is a darn reliable machine.
Have one and have been on many more.
Parted out one not long ago and have some spares if you need anything as small as a clip, bracket, etc.
Still have the cluster, and probably all they lamps in it.
Holler if you need help. .... :urban:
I ride my NS50F more often than anything now.
Attachments
True Grits 2012 B 047.JPG
True Grits 2012 B 047.JPG (151.25 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Congtats on the Elite 80 and welcome to the Site. Just a handful here speak 4-Stroke. Just sold my last Sportster today. I'm having more fun with light and nimble too.

Glad you've recovered your vision.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
greyhawk
Noob
Noob

Post by greyhawk »

Thank you for the warm welcome. If I have anything to say that will add value to the forum, I'll be sure to post it. For now, I'm enjoying the threads and learning as I go. I'm kind of an information junkie.
Thanks to mousewheels, I was able to download the user manual. It was a great help.

I changed the cluster lights this evening. Wasn't all that difficult. There are 3 total. Also went over the paint with some "mothers" "back to black" to remove the oxidation. It cleaned up pretty well. The plastic is good except for a small hole in the front right corner of the front finder. The seat is like new. Bought the Elite from a dealer so it wasn't a steal but more like a fair deal at $650 out the door. It has a new battery and a rebuilt carb. I have the Shop Inspection Reports and it looks to be in good shape. Runs super with a top speed of 45 on flat roads. The odometer read 1840 miles when I brought it home last week. I've put 40 miles on it already. :thumbwink:

I have a 12" X 24' workshop with a good selection of mechanic's tool. Back in the mid to late '60s, I worked as an auto mechanic before beginning a 30 year career as an industrial mechanical/electrical technician. Not a stranger around things mechanical.

I live in a small town that is located in farm country. We have 3 stop lights, 1 gas station and a grocery store.I find myself taking short rides on the Elite everyday, and loving every minute of it. :coolcruise: My 400 Majestic is feeling left out. :mrgreen:

Thanks again for the help and all the kind words.
Last edited by greyhawk on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greyhawk
Noob
Noob

Post by greyhawk »

Thought I would post a few pictures. Damage to the front fender is visible in the 2nd. photo.
The basket is a little "Jakey" but I like what it says and it sure comes in handy until I find something more appropriate.
Pretty clean for being 22 years old.
'92 Elite (1).JPG
'92 Elite (1).JPG (243.82 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
'92 Elite (2).JPG
'92 Elite (2).JPG (222.72 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
'92 Elite (3).JPG
'92 Elite (3).JPG (241.88 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
greyhawk
Noob
Noob

Post by greyhawk »

@ motormike.
Love your NS50F. Wasn't familiar with that model.
After researching it on-line, I can see why it would be your main squeeze.
Guess the "small & nimble bug" has landed at my place. :rock:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Thanks greyhawk... :oops:
I got pretty lucky when responding to a local Craigslist ad that was claiming to be selling a "little dirt bike".
BTW, my ladyfriend rides a CH80 with the same front corner damaged, and I have had zero success in finding a good used piece to fix it.
Better luck to you... :thumbwink:
I almost want to take the good one off of my 80 and send to you.....almost... :hi:
Love the description of your town...sounds like home... :love:
As for the milk-crate, it IS iconic, indestructible, and couldn't have been designed any better for scooter use.
My CH80 always has one held on with 4 zip-ties.
Trunks are good for dry storage when weather takes a turn, but trying to stuff a guitar in one doesn't work.
One item before I stop...gas mileage on your 80 can be expected to reach 100 mpg with an easy throttle hand.
Orange is my favorite color.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"