Briefly out of commission

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Briefly out of commission

Post by breaze »

Hi all,
Got some new tires for my 85 Aero 80, slapped em on, and went for what I thought would be a quick test ride (this was Sunday 4/27 midday). I always thought of myself as careful and observant when riding but there are some situations that can't be avoided.

I was turning left onto a 4 lane road following right behind another vehicle. I noticed a car preparing to leave a gas station on my left but never thought they would go - there was on-coming traffic and, of course, me in the way. I guess they were planning to beat the on-coming traffic and slip in behind the car in front of me - they accelerated very quickly and I had no time to do anything except watch them hit me.

Ended up with 4 broken ribs and a lung contusion (think that just means bruise) and lots of road rash - could have been much worse.

Witnesses described seeing a black Nissan Sentra with 2 teenage kids - they took off after the accident. Witnesses also described seeing an old man flying about 12 yards thru the air - took me a minute to figure out that was me.

Anyway, somewhat dissappointing how little police work was done - when I talked to the detective, he hadn't talked with anyone, or checked any of the cameras around - a week later?

Luckily I have the scooter insured and will be able to recover all expenses thru uninsured motorist coverage (expenses above and beyond health insurance).

It's gonna be a while before I'm back riding again but it will be interesting to see how it feels.

Not sure what the blue book value is but the front fork and wheel were destroyed and, of course, those beautiful plastics aren't so beautiful any more.

Just another reminder to watch out for the other guy.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Re: Briefly out of commission

Post by Dio89Elite »

Sorry to hear about your accident, as you mentioned sometimes, no matter how careful you are, accidents still happen (because of the other person(s)...) :shock:

that's appalling to hear about the police work... :( I guess it wasn't a top priority to the detective :roll: :?: ... even though you could've very well been killed. o.O

It was sad that those teens made it worse by running away from the scene... probably was scared out of their wits... but still man! someone's been hit! and it's their fault! whatever happened to common sense with youngsters nowadays?

Anyway, rest well, heal quickly, and hopefully you'll be back riding again soon enough ;). :coolcruise:
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Holy cow, so sorry to hear. Screw the bike, those kids or adults in the sentra will find karma is hard to out run. I was mowed over almost two years ago and still feeling it. Ribs heal but it's painful for a while. Hope you recover soon.
No good pictures from the accident due to vanity but destroyed phibia, tibia plateau, and shattered knee cap. New knee cap, a plate, 2 rods, and 12 screws and minus a few months of my life. Lady had no insurance.
Last edited by LMH on Tue May 06, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Breaze:
I noticed a car preparing to leave a gas station on my left but never thought they would go
That is where you erred. Same thing happened to me. White Accord leaving the bank parking lot on my right 50 yards ahead. The driver had her head turned the other way. I initiated a hard stop, and came to a stop about 3 feet from her side door. The look on her face when I gave her a little wave was priceless. Always assume the worst in people. You'll never be disappointed.

Sorry for your injuries, and please accept my best wishes for a quick recovery.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me"...etc.
DAMMMMN sad news to hear about you breaze.
We all know the dangers...but we can't always react in our own best interest.
Police are mostly useless when it comes to crime these days,
at least, this has been my experience in recent incidents of theft and vehicular crime.
My hope is that the guilty driver worries about his guilt and responsibility every minute of every day,
until he gets caught being stupid again, before another person is injured or killed.
I encourage you to prosecute fully if the chance is given.
May you be blessed with quick and complete healing... :urban:

RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

wow, hope you get well quick!
and really hope the cops get after the kids...they'll never learn a d*** thing without being caught...
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Dude glad you are still on the green side of the grass :-) I hope they find the * that need to rot in *.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Thank you all for the kind wishes. After those pics from LoveMyHonda I realize it could've been much worse. Would love to have been there to see that wave, Wheelman - bet she told whoever she was talking to that some crazy, dangerous motorcycle rider almost hit her - something needs to be done about cell phones. Has anyone else noticed what a joke 4-way stops are now - you look around and at least 2 of the 4 drivers are on cell phones and have no idea when it is there turn.

Quick update: My daughter ("* hath no fury" in skinny jeans) went to the gas station yesterday to speak with the manager. Even after calling the detective twice and suggesting he do the same, the manager informed her that no one had been by to talk to them. He told my daughter that they should have video footage and that the same person who was working there that day would be there today at 2:00. She is planning to head up there and see what they have.

Funny thing - I really have no animosity toward those kids. I can't imagine that they are better off living with that moment for the rest of their lives, but who knows what their story is.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Karma will prevail. What goes around comes around
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

patthesoundguy wrote:Karma will prevail. What goes around comes around
^^x2
Karma really is not very fun (to say the least) when she's perturbed...
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

But that's why you have uninsured/underinsured coverage with pretty high limits. That's the only insurance you buy that actually helps you. They are supposed to treat you like the other guy's insurance should, so you can ask for reimbursement for lost earnings, things that you had to pay someone to do at home because you were hurt, medications, pain, limits on your abilities that might be permanent. It's very important coverage and you should not cheap out on it.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

wentwest wrote:But that's why you have uninsured/underinsured coverage with pretty high limits. That's the only insurance you buy that actually helps you. They are supposed to treat you like the other guy's insurance should, so you can ask for reimbursement for lost earnings, things that you had to pay someone to do at home because you were hurt, medications, pain, limits on your abilities that might be permanent. It's very important coverage and you should not cheap out on it.
On the money - I was lucky in that I had my scooter insured with the same company as my automobiles so my uninsured motorist limits were expanded to that coverage also. That will more than compensate for my injuries, etc.

They offered me $600.00 for the scooter and they haul it off or $300.00 and I keep it. I chose to keep it and am just now getting around to checking it out - think I'll need another front fork:

Other than the fork, a few scratches on the plastics, one mirror gone, and cracks inside the glovebox, not too bad - cranks right up.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
motormike

Post by motormike »

... :smile: ...In your hands breaze, she will never die.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I have a set of aftermarket mirrors that look just like the original ones I will donate to the cause :-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Very kind offer that I will keep in mind. Let me make sure I get that front end straightened out first.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90