two scoots, one title.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

delux68
Noob
Noob

two scoots, one title.

Post by delux68 »

I've had my black 86 Aero50 for about five years now. It's been great! A few weeks ago, I bought the red 87 with no title/paperwork for parts. Looking at them both, the red one is better in many ways. The frame is nicer, fork is in much better shape, it stops quicker etc. The idea was to transfer all the good parts from the red one with no title to the black one which is registered and titled in my name. I live in Florida, would it be a big problem legally to build up the red one and use the title from the black one?

ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: two scoots, one title.

Post by ped »

hi delux.
I think if you leave it red you will get pull over. they will check the vin.
If you paint it black and get in a fender bender, they will check the vin.
If you get pulled over in florida they will check the vin.
If it gets stolen and found they will check the vin.
swap over the parts is your best bet. IMO.
:imo:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The VIN stays with the frame. Is there something wrong with the frame that has the good VIN?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
delux68
Noob
Noob

Post by delux68 »

Thanks for the replies. The frame on the black one is overall rustier and the hole in the centerstand are wallowed out and that causes the stand to be wobbly and hang low resulting in dragging in turns. Overall not as nice as the red one with no title.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

delux68 wrote:Thanks for the replies. The frame on the black one is overall rustier and the hole in the centerstand are wallowed out and that causes the stand to be wobbly and hang low resulting in dragging in turns. Overall not as nice as the red one with no title.
It will be worth the work to fix the titltled frame, for how much trouble you could get in with a wrong Vin. But I do see why you dont want to use the titled frame though, just hate to see you end up in hot water. Insurance companies might deny payment if they found out the Vin doesn't match the paper work after a crash or mishap. Its a technicality that could cause big issues.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

It's either that or find a way to title the untitled frame. That technicality (diff VINs) may even open yourself to get the scooter taken away.
delux68
Noob
Noob

Post by delux68 »

patthesoundguy wrote:
delux68 wrote:Thanks for the replies. The frame on the black one is overall rustier and the hole in the centerstand are wallowed out and that causes the stand to be wobbly and hang low resulting in dragging in turns. Overall not as nice as the red one with no title.
It will be worth the work to fix the titltled frame, for how much trouble you could get in with a wrong Vin. But I do see why you dont want to use the titled frame though, just hate to see you end up in hot water. Insurance companies might deny payment if they found out the Vin doesn't match the paper work after a crash or mishap. Its a technicality that could cause big issues.
didnt think about this...
delux68
Noob
Noob

Post by delux68 »

i've actually already switched over a bunch of the easily swappable parts to the black one.
S4Patrick
Elite
Elite

Post by S4Patrick »

How hard could it be to just apply or a new title on that 1987 red Aero 50? Big process? Worth inquiring upon/ researching.
'87 Aero 50 STOCK (only 350miles)
'87 Aero (AF16 Corsa-PG-Short-OKO24mm-8.44)
'86 Aero (AF16 Corsa-SEF Black-OKO21mm-8.44)
'98 Live Dio ZX - 50th Anniversary Edition 68cc
'92 Super Dio ZX - AF18 Corsa

Visit: http://www.airtoolsforless.com
delux68
Noob
Noob

Post by delux68 »

Not sure what it would cost to get a new title here in Florida, my brother who worked in a motorcycle shop said it was usually hundreds of dollars to get a new motorcycle title so I never considered it.
Dust-it
BMX
BMX

Post by Dust-it »

Your brother would be correct ,at least from my experience . To transfer and tag an already titled bike with the previous owners signed over title runs around $150.00. No title in hand means a state form they send to last known owner , and you hoping some one will reply . If they do reply and don't have the title it will cost another $75.00 to get it in their name to sign over to you so the state can destroy that title and then charge the $150.00 for your title and tag .
The DMV has little incentive to do any thing in my area of Fl. other than to send you packing out the door . Oh and before you waste any time at least run the vin. on the Fl. free state vin check . Funny how so many Fl. Craigslist bikes and scoots
are for sale with no title .
Last edited by Dust-it on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tattoli
BMX
BMX

Post by tattoli »

Sent you a PM :peace: