My 86' spree wont Kick!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Pennyyy
Noob
Noob

My 86' spree wont Kick!

Post by Pennyyy »

Hello All- I would like to thank you in advance for ANY help that you guys can offer. I have been all over this forum and just cant seem to find the solution to my problem. You all seem very knowledgeable, so here goes:
I have a 1986 Honda spree that wont kick, or start. It has been sitting for about 3 years. I drained and replaced the gas, oil, and checked the air filter. I also bought a new battery. I got a new spark plug that I set to a 0.6 - 0.7mm gap (0.024 - 0.028 in) The electric start works, but wont grab, and I know better than to wear it out. The kicker moves about 1/2" and then locks up. I removed the spark plug and tested the spark, and it was a very bright blue. I kicked it with the plug out, and it spits oil. Lots of oil! I put the plug back in, and it kicks 1x as if nothing is wrong, and then right back to total lock up. I did this 3x with the same results. At this point, I think the reed valves aren't opening. I removed the air filter, carburetor, (o rings looked good and I sprayed it with brake cleaner) intake, and reed valve. I cleaned the reed valve (which did seem to be stuck) and put it all back together. I was hopeful! I kicked it 2x with no problems, and it sounded right. 3rd kick, and back to total lockup.
HELP!
My next thought is to test the auto fuel valve and my lines. Make sure that I am getting gas, as its spitting so much oil without the plug in?!
I am no mechanic or expert, but Im not a dumbass (at least I dont think I am?)
Am I missing something? Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be GREATLY appreciated! I would love to get this Spree back on the road! It was a gift from my Dad about 10 years ago. It was good to me for a long time. I moved to Colorado and let it sit in the garage. (I didn't trust anyone with it) I would much rather try and fix it myself than bring it to a small engine repair shop. I am not opposed to doing so, I would just like to exhaust all options before doing so.
patthesoundguy

Re: My 86' spree wont Kick!

Post by patthesoundguy »

reeds wont lock it like that. Now the question of the day is... when it locks up does it free up as soon as the spark plug is removed? if it spits oil when you crank it with the plug out it very liley has a crank case full of oil. the oil pump can leak oil over a long time sitting. when you kick it over the combustion chamber could be filling with oil and oil does not compress. so it locks up. when you get the oil out of the crank case it should go. make sure to set your plug gap to 0.025" 0.028" just doesn't work.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pennyyy
Noob
Noob

Post by Pennyyy »

You Said: Now the question of the day is... when it locks up does it free up as soon as the spark plug is removed?
Me: Exactly! We got the oil out of the crank case, and tried to kick it. It kicked 1x and froze up with the spark plug in. Repeat removing spark plug and kicking and removing, and had the same problem. The oil was filling up as fast as it was coming out.
Should I be checking the auto fuel valve? Im only smelling oil, no gas. And I still feel that it is getting waaaaay too much oil, say a shot glass full in 2 kicks with key off and no spark plug in. Is that too much?
Again, Thanks for your help!
ClemSpree
Spree
Spree

Post by ClemSpree »

Waaaaaaay too much oil. If you are fairly certain you have tons of oil just flowing into the motor, I'd suggest emptying the oil or disconnecting temporarily and turning it over on premix. Id pull the pipe as well and drain it out, it might have a bunch of oil in it. It wont run well without a pipe but I think they will start and it will keep you from pouring oil into the pipe.

I'm not sure what happens if you pull out the innards of the pump but maybe thats already been done and you are gravity feeding oil.
84 Aero125 Goldie, For Sale, parts bikes too
09 Stella For Sale
86 Razz
87 YSR50
56 LD150
79 P200