Just bought 2 86 sprees for $400, I'm new to scooters TIPs?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

john.t
Noob
Noob

Just bought 2 86 sprees for $400, I'm new to scooters TIPs?

Post by john.t »

Hello,

I just bought two 86 sprees in ND for $400, 1 running, 1 needing carb work or new carb (previous owner rebuilt motor with new cylinder and piston, told it idles great, but stutters on acceleration, I haven't started it yet). These are my first scooters, but they seemed like a deal compared to other options in the area, as anything with a motor in ND has about 50% inflation compared to the rest of the US.

The running one is titled, the other one isn't. I was debating on using the second for parts or to fix it up and work out the title issues seeing as it is so close to running.

Any suggestions for keeping up the maintenance up on these things and for the second scooter?
1986 NQ50 Spree Stock Red
1985 NQ50 Spree Stock Red- Non-running.
patthesoundguy

Re: Just bought 2 86 sprees for $400, I'm new to scooters TI

Post by patthesoundguy »

You will find everything you need to know here to get them working A1 tip top. If you havent already done so go and download the manual its amazing with all of maintance specs in there. Start at the top of the scooter and work your way down. Go through everything from tank to tires. The intake systems on sprees are the biggest cause of issues hence the carb on your non runner. Check this airbox and make sure there is a proper air filter element that is oiled . and that the airbox has a cover and the hose to the cab is there and connected. The number one no start cause is a clogged orifice in the float bowl of the carb that feeds the auto enrichment circuit (choke). You rarley need a new carb unless you have a physically damaged one that is beyond repair. Another good maintance item to check is the final drive gear oil, I'd change it. A fairly simple process for piece of mind. Also checking the condition of the belt could be helpful as they do wear narrow from regular use and the scooter gets slower from the slight change in gear ratio. A new spark plug NGK BPR6HS gapped to 0.025" is the way to go. Tires are also important to have a good look at. Baking the exhaust in the BBQ or a campfire for a few hours and letting it cool on its own will go a long way to ensure proper operation. Hope this gives a head start. Welcome to scooters! It's loads of fun
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I forgot that one of your scooters had a rebuild, you may want to check what cylinder was installed, it may need a break in and some 2 stroke mix in the tank for the break in. I wonder where the top end came from. There are great ones and some not so great ones that don't really work. And it could be a big bore kit which could need some tuning. There could be any number of things wrong. Im sure we can walk you through making it run.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
john.t
Noob
Noob

Post by john.t »

thank you so much! I'll start digging when I get out of class later today!

UPDATE:

I've started going through the running one:
-replaced brake light
-replaced battery
-need to replace headlight, I have to pick up the part
-the scooter will die if I don't have a little throttle in, I've adjusted the throttle stop screw to the point where it takes the least amount of throttle to keep it running (about 1/8"-1/4"), but it will still eventually idle out and die if I don't keep my hand on the throttle.
-next step is to clean the exhaust on the campfire
-air filter looks clean and oiled
-other than the idling issue its been running well around town, topping out around 27-28 mph on flat ground (I weigh 260 lbs, plus I carry a backpack with books and computer)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

john.t wrote:thank you so much! I'll start digging when I get out of class later today!

UPDATE:

I've started going through the running one:
-replaced brake light
-replaced battery
-need to replace headlight, I have to pick up the part
-the scooter will die if I don't have a little throttle in, I've adjusted the throttle stop screw to the point where it takes the least amount of throttle to keep it running (about 1/8"-1/4"), but it will still eventually idle out and die if I don't keep my hand on the throttle.
-next step is to clean the exhaust on the campfire
-air filter looks clean and oiled
-other than the idling issue its been running well around town, topping out around 27-28 mph on flat ground (I weigh 260 lbs, plus I carry a backpack with books and computer)
If you do the idle air mixture and idle speed procedure that spree should idle for you, its a little lean on the idle by the sounds of it. Great to hear its running so well otherwise nice work! :coolcruise:
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
john.t
Noob
Noob

Post by john.t »

I've been toying around with the idle speed and air mixture and I still can't get it to idle for longer than 10-15 seconds. I'm going to bake the exhaust to see if that might be the issue. If that doesn't work, I'll clean the carb.

Also the headlight is intermittent and fairly dim when it does work, the bulb is good (previous owner had rigged it up so that it would take a standard motorcycle light). I think the issue might be within the three way switch on the handle bar, so I plan on using on electrical cleaner to clean the switch out.

Other than that it's been a joy to ride! Had to fill the tank for the first time today and the clerk gave me a weird look when it only took $1.43 to top it off. Is there a recommended two-stroke oil that seems to work best in these things? Or is just personal preference?
motormike

Post by motormike »

john.t wrote: Is there a recommended two-stroke oil that seems to work best in these things? Or is just personal preference?

It's strictly whatever you want...but I would advise to buy major brand.
Honda GN2, Klotz, Royal Purple, Lucas, Motul, Amsoil...I use Motul because it's what my local shop carries,
but I ran Amsoil for a while in my Aero 125 and I swear it ran better after the first bottle.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Headlights on spree get dim most of the time from a bad ground. Pull off the regulator and clean where it bolts to the frame and clean the contact point on the back of the regulator. I would check the wattage of the replacement bulb if it's too high a wattage maybe it's keeping it from idling. Spree headlight is 35 watt x 35 watt. Baking the pipe certainly won't hurt, then you will know for sure that's not your issue.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
john.t
Noob
Noob

Post by john.t »

Thanks motormike!

And thank you patt! You have been wonderful in helping me get this thing going!! I'll check the regulator in the morning, although I think I might switch the headlight back over to the stock bulb if I can get my hands on the replacements.

The PO found an extra engine block and brand new cylinder in his shed and gifted them to me so I might use those as a base for the big bore kit in the future.

A friend of mine took interest in the second spree (He owns a Ninja 650 R and knows his way around bikes). We're going to tear it down completely and rebuild it over the summer. We poked into it tonight and found that the carb/engine wasn't getting fuel, and the fuel line was dry, so that's a start. Plus it needs an entire rewiring, thus it'll be on the backburner for now.
john.t
Noob
Noob

Post by john.t »

I figured out the idle problem. The PO had put on a new bystarter and had extra wire on the tail so he had put on a rubberized heat protector around it and left it in the engine area. After riding the scooter for a while, these wires moved around and came in contact with the exhaust and melted the coating and wire insulator, shorting the wires causing the bystarter to not work and leave the choke in the rich position, bad enough to the point it wouldn't idle. I didn't notice this when I looked into the engine earlier. I cut the excess wire off, soldered the wires back together and voilà! The spree idles like a champ and I picked up 2-3 mph on the top end after I reset the idle and mixture to manufacturers specs.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

john.t wrote:I figured out the idle problem. The PO had put on a new bystarter and had extra wire on the tail so he had put on a rubberized heat protector around it and left it in the engine area. After riding the scooter for a while, these wires moved around and came in contact with the exhaust and melted the coating and wire insulator, shorting the wires causing the bystarter to not work and leave the choke in the rich position, bad enough to the point it wouldn't idle. I didn't notice this when I looked into the engine earlier. I cut the excess wire off, soldered the wires back together and voilà! The spree idles like a champ and I picked up 2-3 mph on the top end after I reset the idle and mixture to manufacturers specs.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock