Wait... is this an AERO?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

snikro
Spree
Spree

Wait... is this an AERO?

Post by snikro »

For the longest time I thought my spree was, well... a spree. When I bought it and I didn't know anything about scooters, the guy just told me it was a spree and I thought no more about it... But the more I look around the forums etc and get familiar with this family of scooters, I notice more and more differences here and there that make me say "huh this doesn't look like its from a spree, like the ones in the photos..." IE gauges/controls, taillight and rack, turn signals (rear), my CDI box being on the LEFT side instead of the right... I just never realized this because I've never had the body panels on cause ive been working on it. Tonight it hit me... do I have an aero? :shock:

If this is true, will the SPREE air filter I just ordered still fit??
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

I don't know if it's an Aero, but it's definitely not a Spree.

A Spree air filter won't fit an Aero.
'86 Spree x 3
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Well, it just seems to have the aero taillight + rack, and body panels, etc. That's what tipped me off. Also, when I look up parts for an aero online from a local dealer, on the parts diagrams the airbox actually looks like the one thats on my bike, not from the spree. I also saw a CDI on ebay that looked just like mine, but for an aero. Is there a way to tell model/year from the VIN?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Where can I find the engine number on the bike?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

snikro wrote:Where can I find the engine number on the bike?
Im not sure. The vin is on a small tag behind the front wheel and a plate welded to the frame under the floorboard.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

So it would be pretty likely that that's an aero engine in there? People don't tend to swap spree engines into aero's, right? Also, what are the differences between the two motors?
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

I found the vin plate and according to the website it's an 85 NB50M. Does anyone know the difference between the NB50<b>M</b> and NB50?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

might be a more restricted version thats slower to comply with moped laws.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Funny thing about that is the 86 and 87 Aero's were called just NB50, and the "M" wasn't marketed anymore. But they're pretty much the same throughout those model years, right?
cardiffchris1
Noob
Noob

Post by cardiffchris1 »

cheer up, you have a faster 50 cc bike. my old beat up aero 50 would go 38 mph on flat ground.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

just to confirm, definitely not spree. spree has a simpler fork setup, and slightly different headlight.
projects galore :nerd:
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Its an aero cuz it has a one piece trans cover! Now what car can you get aero emblems off - just got mine from a junk yard, yea name the car!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
spreedio
Noob
Noob

Post by spreedio »

its not a spree. But it is a aero, the tank and the tail lights give it away.
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

It's and aero,but why is the front fork backwards?