How long should one drive/oil question....

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dr.ona
Spree
Spree

How long should one drive/oil question....

Post by dr.ona »

I was talking to a friend who knows more about motorcycles and 2 stroke than I do...He brought up something along the lines of how 2 strokes shouldn't be drivin for long distances at fast speeds and such. Sooooo... is there a guideline for the Spree as far as how long ( timewise ) one should drive without giving the Spree a break. I know there's not a precise answer but let's say I was to drive 25 MPH for 2 hours straight with no breaks, could that in someway do damage?
Also...he recommended mixing the gas/oil and getting rid of the oil pump. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't such a bad idea. I can easily carry a little container of oil in the Spree's glovebox and just mix it if I need to stop at a gas station. Has anyone ever accidently ceased an engine due to not knowing if the oiler was working?

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: How long should one drive/oil question....

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

dr.ona wrote:I was talking to a friend who knows more about motorcycles and 2 stroke than I do...He brought up something along the lines of how 2 strokes shouldn't be drivin for long distances at fast speeds and such. Could lead to overheating problems, just run on the rich side and do the shroud mod if your worried.
Sooooo... is there a guideline for the Spree as far as how long ( timewise ) one should drive without giving the Spree a break. I know there's not a precise answer but let's say I was to drive 25 MPH for 2 hours straight with no breaks, could that in someway do damage? Probably not.
Also...he recommended mixing the gas/oil and getting rid of the oil pump. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't such a bad idea. I can easily carry a little container of oil in the Spree's glovebox and just mix it if I need to stop at a gas station. Has anyone ever accidently ceased an engine due to not knowing if the oiler was working? You cant just remove the oiler, its a pain in the * to disable it andI have NEVER heard of the stock systems failing.

Robert
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

a stander 2stroke and a spree are really quiet different.

I have this same talk with a friend of mine who works on 2 strokes for a living ( Jet Ski's, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, things along that that line)

See with sprees ( and stock elites) is that they dont rev up that high like allot of other 2 strokes. So with stock setup you can go for long long times and you will be good. But if its like 110* F out side, and you ride for 4 hours straight at top speed you can expect something to fail.

But with stock stuff, the motor don't rev to high. It can handle allot of riding not problem. If you are going to be riding for long times don't run at top speed. Running top speeds over long times is very hard on the motor. What ever your top speed is -5mph and that is your cursing speed.

Now about the oil pump VS. premix...

Forget what your friends were saying, Stick with the pump. The pump is perfect. It puts the perfect amount of oil into your motor, in the perfect spot. Premixing is just a bad idea all around. I unhooked the pump on my 96 elite and took the tank off when i first got it. Comes spring ill be putting it all back on.
Premixing you got to get the PERFECT amount of oil, to much you will run rich. To little you will run lean. Running lean means not enough oil, things get hotter and your bike wont last long. Rich, you will get tons of smoke, your tail pipe/ head will get carboned up allot faster, Its just a bad idea.

Plus, taking the pump out will ruin the amount of space in the crank case, there for ruining the little performance the spree has. You could keep the pump in there and just unhook the lines. BUT the pump will still turn. Over allot of time it will seize. When the pump seizes it will grind the * out of the gears on your crank. or the pump will brake up, bounce around your crank ruining everything. It would not be pretty...
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Your question is a good one. There's alot of doomsayers out there.
Honda has one of the best reputations in the world for small engines.
Using a good injector type oil and keeping your air filter clean is about all you need to do.
Issues related to most small engines, 2 or 4 stroke revolve around stale fuel or rusty tanks. Once those are clear, they're quite reliable.
Go for it and let us know how well the trip went.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

i use to put alot of miles on mine in one day and we never have had a problem
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

Right on...thanks for the replies. I really didn't want to remove the oiler. I probably won't be doing any long trips till Summer...actually most of my driving is just in town driving.
Thanks again for all the info :D
"I can't drive......35!"
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

Post by DrZ34 »

[quote="Dac"]
What ever your top speed is -5mph and that is your cursing speed.

quote]

lol cursing. :roll: cause it wont climb the next hill :D
Green for tha' money gold 4 tha honeys :roll: