My new 1985 spree, need advise on upgrading.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

My new 1985 spree, need advise on upgrading.

Post by evilone »

I just picked this spree up. I was looking for a 94-01 elite but can't find one I like. I paid $106.00 for it, it didn't run so I took it home and cleaned dirt out of muffler, now it runs great...at 27 mph. Anyways, I want to hit 40 mph. Does anyone have one that does 40+? If so...what mods did you do? I was thinking about putting a 96 or 97 piston and head on it, shave the head and do pulley mod. I know I can't expect much speed from a spree but know others have hit higher speeds, tell me your setups. Thanks! I was going to post pic but don't know how.[/img]
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Spree mods starting with what to do first.
1. Dill 2 exhaust baffles (shove bit up pipes tip, drill 2 plate)
2. smooth out intake pipe
3. mill head .020", be sure to use a new gasket and torque properly in an x pattern with a tourqe wrench to 9-10 ft/lbs
4. Port exhaust (raise a ring width), clean casting defects in the cases intake area
5. install a 1/2 inch auto belt instead of the stock metric one, this will up your gearing to take advantage of the take off power the above mods make.
6. enjoy your maxed out engine, top speed should be around 40 with good accel (belt mod)or 35 with crazy accel(factory belt).

Notes

Do a plug chop after doing any sort of modding.

Start with a motor that has good compression and a nice bore.

Before starting clean carb and muffler, replace air filter and spark plug.

Decarbonize engine while your in there.

If you take off the jug, have it rehoned and put in new rings while your in there if over 1000 miles.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

how do you port the exhaust?
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Not something one should attempt if you dont know what it means.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

... do you just grind out where the exhaust is attached to the engine?
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You have to remove the jug and VERY carefully and slowly grind out the port. To much material removed and it will run like s***, dont clean up your work properly (rubbing some super fine sandpaer on the new cuts to take some of the edge off) and it will run like s***. You will also need to rehone and buy new rings.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Kenny, i'm doing the mods you recommended. Question #1...are the baffles in the muffler back about 6 inches? That's how far bit goes in before stopping. Question #2...Is the rear axle arm or whatever it's technically called supposed to have some play or do I have possible worn bushing? (I can move rear wheel and all side to side a half inch or so). And finally, I got the belt off, it's original and with 3300 miles probably worn, going to store for 1/2 incher now. Thanks for the help.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

You will never get a spree to do 40. 35 to 37 at best with major porting of the intake and case, and a 85' or 87' exhaust.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

evilone wrote:Question #2...Is the rear axle arm or whatever it's technically called supposed to have some play or do I have possible worn bushing? (I can move rear wheel and all side to side a half inch or so).
There's no bushing involved. Sounds like the nut that holds the rear wheel on is very loose or completely missing...

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Gamemedic wrote:You will never get a spree to do 40. 35 to 37 at best with major porting of the intake and case, and a 85' or 87' exhaust.
Odd, according to some guys on here once in a while one will show up going 40 box stock from * casting on the exhaust port area.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Gamemedic wrote:You will never get a spree to do 40. 35 to 37 at best with major porting of the intake and case, and a 85' or 87' exhaust.
Odd, according to some guys on here once in a while one will show up going 40 box stock from * casting on the exhaust port area.
An exhaust leak? That'd cause it to run faster for sure...until the lean condition burns the motor up...
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Kenny, you didn't answer me! Are the baffles about 6 inches in? To the others commenting...it's worth a try doing the mods, I've heard of people getting 40 without MAJOR mods and some have had 35 mph out of the box on 86 and 87 sprees, seems like 5 more mph isn't asking too much! Gamemedic, I see someone got the Elite and posted it on the forums. One of these days I will find one closer to me.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

CharlotteSpreeRider, i'm talking about the whole "arm" that the wheel and everything else is attached to. I'll have to take a closer look.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Wow...did the 1/2 inch belt and muffler baffle mods! 1 MPH gain :( At least the cops can't get me for going over 30 yet!