Plugchop chart results....

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Plugchop chart results....

Post by dr.ona »

Maybe this will help everyone doing plugchops that have questions? I found this chart on the internet...not the best pictures but it should help. If there's a better one out there, can we put it or this one in the Advanced Documents section? Just a suggestion...

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
D-fog
BMX
BMX

Post by D-fog »

This would have been perfect back before I really knew what a plug chop even was....
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

I hear you...
I think this needs to be in the Advanced Documents for easy access if the Admins are watching..

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

dr.ona wrote:I hear you...
I think this needs to be in the Advanced Documents for easy access if the Admins are watching..

Robert
why Advanced Tech Docs and not just Technical Documents?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

Oops...that's what I meant :oops:
"I can't drive......35!"
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

I've never heard the tem "plug chop" before coming to this forum so what exactly is it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this chart may no longer apply as the gas has changed and HAS done strange things to spark plugs like "growth" on spark plugs that look like small round balls. We normally see this more often in Minerelli style engines.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Keoni wrote:I've never heard the tem "plug chop" before coming to this forum so what exactly is it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this chart may no longer apply as the gas has changed and HAS done strange things to spark plugs like "growth" on spark plugs that look like small round balls. We normally see this more often in Minerelli style engines.
you recommend i take down this chart?

Well Keoni, In hawaii how do people check to see if there bike is running lean or rich?

The color of the plug has always been a good guild that allot of people on there strongly trust. What a plug chop is, when you put in a new plug, go out on a ride, run it WOT for a while then kill the motor at WOT.
Cost to a stop, and check the plug. white=lean. Dark=rich. Co-co=perfect.

The hole idea behind it seems odd to me because when i do it on my bike i always come out lean. but if i leave the plug in there for 15 miles or so it comes out looking perfect. I would really like a new way of finding out.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

yea me too i would like a new way to find out, plug chops just dont seem to work allot of the time
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

OMG!
You better hope Kenny doesn't see this :evil:
"I can't drive......35!"
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

[quote=Dac]you recommend i take down this chart?[/quote]
Nah leave it up it'll show people how to read different conditions of plugs.

[quote=Dac]Well Keoni, In hawaii how do people check to see if there bike is running lean or rich?[/quote]
I can't speak for everyone else but I will read a plug but not within a few miles at WOT which will seize a new cylinder which is when I mess with jetting. I personally tune by feel and sound then read plug after a good amount of time.

[quote=Dac]The hole idea behind it seems odd to me because when i do it on my bike i always come out lean. but if i leave the plug in there for 15 miles or so it comes out looking perfect. I would really like a new way of finding out.[/quote]
You are correct sir, it is a junk method and one I normally don't recommend but the only other way is to know what you are doing after years of experience.

This "plug chop" thing is pretty worthless if it doesn't work in a mile which is all it will take to screw up a new motor or even an old motor. It also won't work if you use fuel additives like fuel stabilzers or octane boosters because this will change the color to something that won't be read.[/quote]
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

isnt that chart for like car plugs? i really dont think the pics really apply to a 2- stoke. :?
~2004 Geely Fashion~
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

tamos is a moped brand though i think i have seen that befor some were
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

chevyguyjay wrote:isnt that chart for like car plugs? i really dont think the pics really apply to a 2- stoke. :?
no dude, the chart is for 2 strokes.
1991--------Tomos Targa-