Few pic's and a question...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Motorcity
Noob
Noob

Few pic's and a question...

Post by Motorcity »

I got sick of sitting on a small chair fingering my moped :shock: so I busted out with my miter box saw stand and it fits perfect. Now I have a nice work area for my old elite. This moped has been sitting for 20 years and now starts right up after soaking the carb in carb dip for a few hours. Soon i'll have a new air filter which hopefully will take care of the bogging down once the throttle is opened. I guess all my years of working on big trucks taking drastic measures to rebuild 50 thousand dollar engines made me forget the simple laws of physics. It sure is dirty and i'm going to detail, paint, fix and repair this thing to new, just like the day I bought it 21 years ago. Enough babbling...

The one question...... The clutch, is the heat blue from factory hardening or was it overheated at one point due to a dumb kid (me, back then) riding it hard?

The stand.

Detailed some plastic :roll:

Wheel cleaned up nicely, did it in the kitchen sink :shock: Don't tell my wife, lol. :evil:

Motorcity
Noob
Noob

Post by Motorcity »

Little more Honda *....

50cc you say??? How about 1500cc baby!!

mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

and the sad thing is i have seen mopeds that will beat that bike to 70mph
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Motorcity
Noob
Noob

Post by Motorcity »

mopedman wrote:and the sad thing is i have seen mopeds that will beat that bike to 70mph
Not sad, simple power to weight ratio, mopeds weigh 100 pounds if not less. Big bore all the crazy mod's (same mod's I'd like to learn about) and LOTS of money can give you speed. Years ago I owned a 69 VW beetle with a 2490cc stroker motor that would do 10 sec quarter mile runs at 150 mph, it weighed 1070 pounds and I had 28K invested into it, it was street legal :wink:

The valkyrie is a balls out fast * bike 100hp, 100lbs ft of torque 800 pounds, eight feet long. There's lots of bikes that will beat it, but there aren't many bikes that can lay a solid quarter mile burn out shifting through gears up to 100 mph, the valkyrie will do that.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

mopedman wrote:and the sad thing is i have seen mopeds that will beat that bike to 70mph
Yup I agree nothing sad about that, but you're also comparing apples to oranges with bikes like that.

I've launched and beat a goldwing in my 90cc Vento before, past about 2 gears.. but hey thats physics in action heh and power-weight being the deciding factor

Keep it up on the Elite then dio swap and turn it into a real monster :twisted:
projects galore :nerd:
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

The one question...... The clutch, is the heat blue from factory hardening or was it overheated at one point due to a dumb kid (me, back then) riding it hard?
Most likely the blue color was caused by the clutch slipping at some point from you riding (hard or whatever you were doing to it) but so long as the clutch springs get replaced and the clutch pads aren't damaged it will be fine.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.