Never let friends ride your scooter. Seriously.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Cubey
Spree
Spree

Never let friends ride your scooter. Seriously.

Post by Cubey »

I went against my better judgement. I have a 55 year old friend who has ridden motorcycles and ATVs all her life. She has a $40k Goldwing trike and a 4 wheeler. She has been riding motorcycles for some 30 years.

She got on my Spree and barely got 150 feet away before she crashed it. Luckily she's ok. She said the throttle got stuck. I guess her weight put the throttle cable in a bind and it wouldn't close. And she didnt hear me point out the kill switch. So she kind of paniced and was headed for a ditch but laid it in dirt/mud/grass of someone's driveway rather than going into the deep ditch.

The carb had to be readjusted for some reason after that but now it's finding just fine. It's just cracked the upper plastic piece around the speedometer up by the headlight on the left side.

It knocked the handlebar out of whack with the wheel (it's not lining up completely straight) and the headlight isn't pointing straight. I'll fix that stuff tomorrow. Both easy fixes.

So now I'm off to look on the for sale forum to see if anyone has one. She'll probably pay for it if I tell her how much it'll be even though It's really minor damage. Probably better off leaving it be since it didn't lose the piece of plastic that was bent backwards. I was able to bent it back to normal. Some super glue and touch up paint would probably do just fine being such a tiny piece. But I'll see about replacing it anyway.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah, this is like the 50th time someone has posted a topic like this.

i let someone ride my 92, someone who races dirt bikes. He deiced he was going to hit the "clutch" (clutch on a dirt bike, rear brake on a moped) and dropped it in a gravel pit. busted up the front plastic, and put minor scratches over the hole right side.

Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

To fix the handle bars just whip them the other way till they line up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dac wrote:yeah, this is like the 50th time someone has posted a topic like this.

Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:To fix the handle bars just whip them the other way till they line up.
Tried that. Didn't work. Better off just taking off the 2 pieces of plastic and doing it the right way with the adjusting nut.
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

My new sig!
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

When I called the fellow who was selling, what is now my Spree, he told me up front that I would probably not like it since I had owned a larger scooter. He said the tires were small and narrow and you really had to keep your head out of your * to ride it.

He was right. There is a lot of difference between the Spree and even my larger TBG Key West 49cc scooter. It is way more difficult to handle, very unstable in the wind and I would not recommend it for older riders who may not possess the skills to control it safely.

That said, I'm 54 and I love my Spree.

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i dont know what that has to do with this topic but cool.

i love the color of that spree.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

Sweet looking Spree for sure....
I've had nothing but luck I guess...
I've let at least 8 people ride any of my Sprees....all who have never riden a scooter before.Maybe it's becuase they've never been on anything other than a bike, that they are very carfull. I had one girl bump into a picnic table and put a minor scratch...no biggie.

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

my girl road into a door on a storage unit, with my elite.... it was the first moped she road, she was yelling how do i turn then bam
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

when was this????
1991--------Tomos Targa-