I GOT A TICKET... *

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

nparks
Spree
Spree

I GOT A TICKET... *

Post by nparks »

So I was riding to the post office to drop off a package and an undercover cop pulls me over, tells me that I need to be wearing protective eye wear and that since I was not he'd be issuing me a ticket for not having the proper safety equipment. He went back to his car and took over 30 minutes before he came back, in the meantime I was dying in the sun and running late for class. I was so * off.

I got home and checked out the Statutes and the safety equipment laws don't apply to anyone over the age of 16 riding a scooter with a motor under 50cc's that doesn't exceed 30mph on flat ground. As far as he knows it only goes 30 as he didn't even give me time to accelerate up to speed before he pulled me over.

I'll be taking it to court; I am not paying $91. I explained to the officer that I had no idea it was a law and I would be wearing glasses if I had known that it was a law. He said he didn't care to hear about "my story" and to remember to always wear eye protection. It really annoys me that law enforcement around here gives out citations as lame as these. A warning would have done it's job.

Here's the FL Statute:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 1#0316.211

It's listed under section 3a.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

its a basic law here in hawaii.. in fact anytime your riding anything besides a car, you should be wearing sun glasses for the day and clear lens for the evening, or a helmet. Its pretty common sense that if something goes in your eyes and blinds you , and then you could cause a more serious accident. I know it sucks, I have alot of friends here who get caught for that. and here its a $95 ticket.
good luck in court, hope you can convince the judge
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You won't have any problem getting the ticket thrown out. Cops don't keep those statutes in their back pocket; you may want to though when you ride. You definately will need to take that statute into court.

Eye protection is a good idea but not law on 50cc bikes in many states.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Re: I GOT A TICKET... *

Post by Elite-ist »

nparks wrote:So I was riding to the post office to drop off a package and an undercover cop pulls me over, tells me that I need to be wearing protective eye wear and that since I was not he'd be issuing me a ticket for not having the proper safety equipment. He went back to his car and took over 30 minutes before he came back, in the meantime I was dying in the sun and running late for class. I was so * off.

I got home and checked out the Statutes and the safety equipment laws don't apply to anyone over the age of 16 riding a scooter with a motor under 50cc's that doesn't exceed 30mph on flat ground. As far as he knows it only goes 30 as he didn't even give me time to accelerate up to speed before he pulled me over.

I'll be taking it to court; I am not paying $91. I explained to the officer that I had no idea it was a law and I would be wearing glasses if I had known that it was a law. He said he didn't care to hear about "my story" and to remember to always wear eye protection. It really annoys me that law enforcement around here gives out citations as lame as these. A warning would have done it's job.

Here's the FL Statute:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 1#0316.211

It's listed under section 3a.
You should be able to sue cops personally for wasting your time when its their job to know the law they are supposedly enforcing and they don't bother to get it right. I've been pulled over I swear just because the cop wants to check out my scoot and is bored.
Mrkunio
Noob
Noob

Post by Mrkunio »

Thats pretty bogus seeing that you don't have to wear any protection. The county should give you money for wasting your time. :P
Red '84 (crime) Spree!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i got pulled over the other day for having expired tags, but he didnt give me a ticket because he wasn't a *
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

It's really too bad you aren't from Saginaw, MI LOL. The cops here have stopped me several times, for of all things, speeding, normally at least 10 over, just to check out my scooter and tell me they didn't know it went that fast. And I almost never shield my eyes nor wear a helmet. On top of that, my exhaust is noisy but not obnoxious.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
nparks
Spree
Spree

Post by nparks »

I requested a court date and signed an affidavit of defense stating that I should not have to pay for a ticket that is clearly not a law that should be enforced.
hondaken
Noob
Noob

Post by hondaken »

I got pulled over and told that my scooter needed to be registered, but looked up the law and it says it doesn't. But atleast the cop didn't give me a ticket, just told me to go home. :?