Tire recommendation for Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

porter92
BMX
BMX

Tire recommendation for Spree

Post by porter92 »

Does anyone recommend a replacement tire for the front wheel of the spree? Does it have to have a tube or can I get a tubeless tire? Thanks
Wheelman-111

Running Topl... - I mean, Tubeless

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Very few people know what precisely distinguishes a tube-type rim from a tubless one. I am one of the people that don't, but I read something somewhere that describes a sort of flange affair that holds the bead securely. It may be possible to seat the bead of a tubeless tire on a tube-type rim, but there is a danger of sudden deflation if you encounter a sharp bump - like a pothole - that can spoil your whole day.

Unless you swap for a tubeless-type rim, you need tubes.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
porter92
BMX
BMX

Post by porter92 »

a tube tire is fine, think i'll order off bikebandit. thanks for the input
Wheelman-111

Safety Hump

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I found several places where the distinction between a tube-type and tubeless rim is described. There is a "safety hump" that prevents the bead of the tire from drifting away from the outside of the rim on a tubeless rim. That hump is lacking on a tube-type rim. If you mount a tubeless tire to a tube-type rim, sudden rapid tire compression can result in the bead breaking its airseal against the rim and a sudden deflation to 0 PSI.

This is what can ruin your whole ride/day.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
kho20
BMX
BMX

to tube or not to tube

Post by kho20 »

wheel man said it all
the differnece is the tubless have stronger side walls and the rims have bead groves or lockers this is what is refered to when they say u gotta seat the bead . the bead locks the tire s side walls against the rim edge thus crating the seal...
a tubed tire has no beads and the tire is pressed against the sides of the rim thes tires donot hold up well in high speed hard turns or slides, or pot holes like wheelman thats why bicycles have tubes and ferraris dont,
Wheelman-111

Tubes

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Kho20 submits:
thats why bicycles have tubes and ferraris dont,
Ah, but we're behind the times. In the ceaseless effort to save precious milligrams, even bicycles are going top-... uh, I mean tubeless. You can spend the price of a nice new scooter on a set of carbon tubeless 700 rims alone. On windy days you have to tie the wheels down if you're fixing a flat. They get a lot of flats...

If it turns out that I can tell the difference, I'll join the Tour de France. Can I ride it on the Aero?
Last edited by Wheelman-111 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

haha, theres a bicycle classic in redlands, where i live, we ride the course on scoots the week before, its a good time!