fuel filter

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

porter92
BMX
BMX

fuel filter

Post by porter92 »

Hi,

I was thinking of perhaps installing a fuel filter on my '86 Spree and was wondering if anyone can recommend the kind to get? I think this topic has been covered before so if there is a link to that thread please feel free to direct me to it. Thanks.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I'm a newby so this may sound dumb. Is the Spree any different than a 'lite? I looked at my "E" and "SA" which both have filters, and it doesn't look anything special. I would take the fuel line off and take it to the local parts store. Most auto parts stores handle accessories for small engines, and he/she should be able to find a small filter which will fit your fuel line. Just splice it in and put a couple of clamps on it, and you're good to go.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

what Luny said, but some people (including myself) have had trouble with the large, clear pleated paper type filters. I think these are made for use with a fuel pump and after a while won't allow enough gas to get through. Right now I've got a red briggs and stratton lawn mower "screen" type filter to catch the big bits and then a pressed cone small motorcycle filter to get the fines. Seems to be working great so far and I have a pretty rusty tank.
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

coolbeans wrote:what Luny said, but some people (including myself) have had trouble with the large, clear pleated paper type filters. I think these are made for use with a fuel pump and after a while won't allow enough gas to get through. Right now I've got a red briggs and stratton lawn mower "screen" type filter to catch the big bits and then a pressed cone small motorcycle filter to get the fines. Seems to be working great so far and I have a pretty rusty tank.
I second this big time! I had a clear pleated paper filter and it was a fuel restriction. I havent invested much time into finding one that works yet. There is a filter in tank, so for now I am relying on that one.
84,85,86 sprees: Intake mod, drilled pipe, .020" milled 1985 head, dome piston, 2mm raised exhaust port, sb50 reeds, 34mph average.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

For any model scooter, but hondas especially do the following:

1. Drain gas and unscrew petcock
2. Remove stock "strainer" filter, it will likely be dirty rusty and overall pretty nasty, now chunk that sucker!
3. Reinstall petcock
4. Hookup an inline fuel filter anywhere downstream, I prefer right after petcock
5. Reconnect lines

Here is the filter you want, similar to these:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/CarbnJe ... Filter.jpg
http://snowcitymi.com/catalog/images/fuel%20filter.jpg

Paperless filament type that is "high flow". Most motorcycle shops will carry these and also some autoparts stores' lawnmower filters look like this. AVOID the paper filters, they flow poorly
projects galore :nerd:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Point well taken on the paper element. But I've had lawnmowers with in line filter, guess I just haven't paid attention to the type element. I'm working on my riding mower today, and it's got a paper element but it also has a fuel pump to force the gas through the paper. One thing's for sure: Water is death on paper filters. Thank God for plastic tanks which takes care of a lot of the rust problems, but water still stops a paper filter.

Burnt Toast, I like the links provided. Those look like what I had in mind, probably what I've got on my "E". I would check it, but too much trouble to pull the plastic. I avoid that when I can.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

pulling plastics are an absolute joy on hondas (spree, elites) compared to SOME models, trust me ;)

I'm a private scooter mechanic and have worked on many chinese models that just make you want to kick em over and break stuff just trying to take off panels haha
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

burnt_toast wrote:For any model scooter, but hondas especially do the following:

1. Drain gas and unscrew petcock
2. Remove stock "strainer" filter, it will likely be dirty rusty and overall pretty nasty, now chunk that sucker!
3. Reinstall petcock
4. Hookup an inline fuel filter anywhere downstream, I prefer right after petcock
5. Reconnect lines

Here is the filter you want, similar to these:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/CarbnJe ... Filter.jpg
http://snowcitymi.com/catalog/images/fuel%20filter.jpg

Paperless filament type that is "high flow". Most motorcycle shops will carry these and also some autoparts stores' lawnmower filters look like this. AVOID the paper filters, they flow poorly
I have cleaned my in tank filter and reinstalled it mainly to keep junk from clogging up the petcock.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I'm a private scooter mechanic and have worked on many chinese models that just make you want to kick em over and break stuff just trying to take off panels haha
Burnt Toast, wash your mouth out with soap for saying that dirty word! I'm on a mad anyway, watching all our industry being outsourced to !@#$%. When I hear somebody say they bought a Chinco scooter, my jaw drops in amazement and it takes me several seconds to recover. Hondas and Yamahas may cost a little more, but darn well worth it IMO. Now if I can just find a dadblasted filter made in USA, I'll be okay!!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I have worked on them as a private mechanic ie as a JOB

a JOB right here in America, I don't care what brand (just not vintage crap.. no offense lol) I work on scooters part time as a small business.

Didn't say anything about owning them, although I have had several Ventos. Highly doubt that impacted the economy much especially considering each one was a private buy :roll:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

That's okay Toast, I'm just on a tear today, but it is improving. Thought I had a burnt valve on my mower, (Kohler), but compression was good and solved problem with just some light maintenance, tuneup and carb cleaning. So I'm better now.

Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day. That's my other problem. Can't mow and can't scoot.