Got me another bike!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Got me another bike!

Post by wikked_spree57 »

So a friend of mine had this CH80... Well, let's just say it was one die hard son of a gun. Till he ran it out of oil. He said it started dying a block and a half from home and it quit right when he rolled in, and he opened the filler cap and could see the bottom of the crank case. He says it was locked up for a little bit but freed up pretty easy, but now it won't start. I haven't done a compression test, but any idea if I can bring this thing back to life without spending a fortune?

I hope not, I traded a laptop I just paid $250 for for it. He said when he noticed low oil, he unsiezed it and hasn't messed with it since except for the gas tank valve he used on his CH150 he bought last night...

Any ideas though? I'm sure it needs rings, but any suggestions would be wonderful. I made a post in W/FS also.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Got me another bike!

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Even if it will run, it will burn oil like a freight train. Discolored rod/crank=replace.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I got it apart today and it has just a tid bit of aluminum smear in the cylinder, but not a scratch otherwise, and the piston and rings are fried. So I need to redo the top end, no discoloration on anything.
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

if there are any pieces missing from the rings or piston, it is a good idea to replace the end bearings.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I have to replace all the bearings at the piston end of the rod. It moves back and forth real hard and the wristpin is shoved though one of the circlips. It's pretty messed up.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Evidently, unlike my Spree and Elites, this does not have a wristpin bearing. It's pressed in, so it has to be pressed out. Great... What a mess! I tried to heat that stupid thing up and knock it out with a hammer and got nowhere, this thing is becoming a headache. So far, I figure $60 in parts before shipping. That's piston, rings, wristpin, clips and gaskets.