Finally got a dio of my OWN!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Towlieee
BMX
BMX

Finally got a dio of my OWN!

Post by Towlieee »

Been borrowing my friends purple honda dio for a while now.. Finally got me one for $75! 1994 with 3300 miles, with a clean and clear title (I don't have the title, but I did run a vin check on it)

From a junk yard, blown top end.. It sat out for around 2 years in a muddy area, the cylinder was covered, but still got a little moisture inside..

Crank doesn't spin, but only appears to have slight surface rust.

I plan on purchasing all new crank, bearings, top end, carb, exhaust, and already have a $350 shock from my crf 50 which I plan on fitting to the rear.
I have big dreams for it.. Before it will ever run I already plan on going full 120cc liquid cooled stroker.. Running the $300 shipped 120cc kit off ebay, adding in a stroker crank from vt cycles, 28-30mm intake and manifold, not sure on the exhaust, and will obviously have to upgrade clutch variator and gearing, and rig up my own radiator and water pump.
I'm guessing it's going to be at least $800, probably closer to $1000 before I ever even get this thing running.. Going to probably start the project this fall.

Btw I'm not just talking crazy, I dumped over $800 in the motor ALONE on my honda crf 50, as well as over $1200 into the suspension and chassis.. So dropping $1000 on a street legal moped is definitely something I'm willing to do.
I love my hondas ;)

Shes rough, but a little fiberglass, maybe some new body parts, and she'll look good as new.

veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Finally got a dio of my OWN!

Post by veedubh20 »

someday big stroker motor will blowup! :lol:
there are many seller sell their stroker motor, decide to go back to stock motor and build 72cc more reliable running. :P

just go 72cc :mrgreen: I had one 98 purple s had over 9,000 miles stock honda crank honda bearings seals and malossi mhr bore 4,500 miles.. :D
Last edited by veedubh20 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Towlieee
BMX
BMX

Post by Towlieee »

veedubh20 wrote:someday big stroker motor will blowup! :lol:

just go 72cc :mrgreen:
but then I'll just rebuild it!

I would go with a smaller bore, if I didn't already have to purchase a crank

I want big power out of this thing :)
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Towlieee wrote:
veedubh20 wrote:someday big stroker motor will blowup! :lol:

just go 72cc :mrgreen:
but then I'll just rebuild it!

I would go with a smaller bore, if I didn't already have to purchase a crank

I want big power out of this thing :)

crank froze, just buy new honda crank seals and bearings, and corsa bore kit, is just bolt on.

taiwan bore kit not good as japan or italian parts.

buy cheap parts, money waste.

buy good stuff! save money in the long run..
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

CHT gauge is a must.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

As far as rebuilding things when they blow up, you can always throw a new bore on the top, but once you cut that crankcase for a stroker, there is no going back.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

I'll have a nice stock cylinder and head for sale next weekend if your interested. PM for details. :D
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
TURN1
Spree
Spree

Post by TURN1 »

Nice find. Best of luck on your build. Believe me it doesn't look that bad. Liquid Cooled monster :shock: Try to stealth mount a small radiator behind the front nose cowl and istall black mesh to cover the gaping hole you'll need to cut out. Run the hoses out of sight. Keep it sleeper looking. Don't forget the high performance milk crate in the back :lol:
Pass on the ALOHA Spirit!!!
Towlieee
BMX
BMX

Post by Towlieee »

I have no problem destroying this motor, as I see used running motors go for $100-$250 so I'm not tooo concerned

I wont go stroker if its 100% not reliable.. But if it's even somewhat reliable, thats the route I wanna go!

I want my bike to be like diospeed demons.. Definitely plan on using a small radiator stuffed in the front plastic just like his

I just want a good looking, clean, stockish looking, ridiculously overly fast for what it is moped haha:)

I'm not worried about noise, I'm not worried about cops. I plan on insuring it just for safety as it will be considered a motorcycle on the road, but I don't have plans on registering it or wearing a helmet unless I get pulled over.. lol..

I ride a sport bike as my daily driver, and a couple little dirt bikes. I just want this moped for a toy to have fun :)

To bad I won't be able to start the build tell this fall!

Also my friends going with a 70-80cc big bore, and giving me his stock top end :) But I think I'm still going to need a crank, so I'll probably just wait tell I get the full stroker setup going.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you keep it well oiled with good oil and jetted properly there is no reason for it to be unreliable.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

If your fine with possibly finding another motor later then by all means go for it.

Nothing lasts forever, and it's just a given that the more you deviate from stock, the less reliable it will be. A stroker will run for a while with good tuning and good oil. In general taiwan parts aren't known to last very long.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Get a 72cc Corsa, turn it into ministroke, variator, up gears, and a few other things, and you should be fine with a ministroke, just open your oil cable up.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

This is interesting. I just bought a junkbasket a couple of weeks ago, that looks almost just like your 94 and just about as rough . Mine is a 2001 SA50, been in a barn for a few years, not in the mud, so I'm probably in better shape. Been on vacation for a week, so now I get to start playing with it this summer. I don't feel any compression on the manual kickstart and will start with compression check. I'm not interesting in racing, just a small overbore kit.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes