would it be legal to build a spree-rex???

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Spreetard
Elite
Elite

would it be legal to build a spree-rex???

Post by Spreetard »

like a t-rex but with 1151cc less displacement :twisted:
extend the floorpan out, sit where your feet should go. 1/2 spree, 1/2 go-cart.
moped laws in michigan allow for two or three wheels, and the vehicle would be largly stock from the floorpan back, have brakes, brake lights turn signals, etc. needed to be legal
does anybody think i WON'T go to jail for building, registering and riding this contraption???? i've got a spare bare frame that has a good vin number...
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: would it be legal to build a spree-rex???

Post by mousewheels »

Spreetard wrote:like a t-rex but with 1151cc less displacement
Hereis a quickie link to wiki for those who want to see the t-rex Spreetard is talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campagna_t-rex

I can't say what MI would do about building one, but like trikes. I posted this pic before. Personally for where I live it is too low for comfort in traffic. But looks fun.

From eBay in MI! A Honda Express powered this.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Put your seat where your in the area that your feet now go then extend your feet in front of the front wheel on a boom. Lower handle bars so you can see over them. Here is a pedal powered version of this type of bike.
You wouldn't need pedals just foot rests.

The trike idea is very cool thanks for sharing that photo.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Looks cool but something tells me Michigan is going to nix that totally, won't even let it on the street, even with lights, license and all. You could really suck up under an 18 wheeler with that one... If you're brave enough. :shock:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No height restrictions in Michigan, perfectly legal. Have fun dieing!
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I don't know if that would be legal in michigan...In Iowa, we have to register mods but for something like that it might be easier to get it registered as a home built and get a new vin. it all depends on the amount of paperwork required in MI, call your registration office to be sure.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

We can register anything in Michigan, mopeds are easiest, fake a BOS and cough up $15 for a three year sticker.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
fujioko
Noob
Noob

Post by fujioko »

Cool! the three wheel Honda express pictured in the above post was mine! Sold it on ebay last fall. Its strange to see my driveway in a random post on the internet.

Anyway the "Stinger" was not street legal. I never attempted to ride it on public roads.

I recently seen it was for sale again. I believe it is in Brighton Mi on Craigslist.
1984 Spree, 1986 Spree, 1977 Honda XR75 1979 XL75
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

fujioko wrote:Cool! the three wheel Honda express pictured in the above post was mine!
Nice work! Found your auction last year, and posted it here since many are in MI. Hope you'll fill us in on building and riding it. :mrgreen:
And what are you doing these days?
fujioko
Noob
Noob

Post by fujioko »

The ÔÇ£StingerÔÇØ was built by unknown persons for an unknown reason. I bought it and got it running again in late summer 2008.

The vehicle was set up to go in a straight line. The steering geometry was set up so the trike was stable at high speed. The top speed was 30 MPH.

ItÔÇÖs possible the trike was originally set up with a better performing version of the Honda express drivetrain, however when I got it the drive system was basically stock.

The ride was extremely comfortable as far as absorbing bumps. The majority of the weight was on the rear wheel. There was no front suspension I believe some flexing of the chassis was intended.

Overall the vehicle was built light weight. The body was hand formed sheet metal over a tube frame. The craftsmanship was generally pretty good. Some of the welds looked to be done at a latter time.. not quite as good as the bulk of the welds.

The brakes sucked and took a while to slow this thing down. The rear brake wasnÔÇÖt connected, however there was a handle for the rear brake.

To service the engine pull out the pivot bolt and disconnect the rear shock and slide the engine out from under the chassis. The throttle cable and fuel line were long enough to do this.

If this thing was built slightly larger it may have been worth modifying and making it street legal. LOL in Michigan anything can be street legal .

Jim
1984 Spree, 1986 Spree, 1977 Honda XR75 1979 XL75