Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

Post by eclark5483 »

Just rewatched that run. You know what I like best? The pickup till the MLM and horsepower start to shoot up. Obviously, we lose bottom end a bit up until about 18-20 when it finds it's groove. On a Spree without the gears, you feel it at what?? 12-15mph? Myself personally, I'm happy with that kick starting at 20 since my boy will only hover around 20 for the most part. Then, when you're past 20 and hit heavier traffic, just slam that throttle and watch it work it's magic.. VERY SWEET!! What was 35mph... something like 8800rpm? 20mph at 5500rpm...
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Im worried the mlm pipe may be shooting rpms too high for the bore and causing what you call a double band or something like that, when the bore loses the rmps the pipe picks up. I thought it could cause a issue if I am rembering right. Its like you get the first shot of power then another and a lot of people tuen for that low shot and it leans out to the top shot of power. Something like that.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

TEMPS? What was the temperature doing on that epic 40mph run? My cht always showed that the heat would fly off the charts after 30mph for even just a few seconds at wot. One time when it soft seized, the temp on the cht actually kept climbing even after it had shut off for about 5 seconds. Sure, getting to 40mph is quite a feat for a Spree motor but holding it there for awhile is gonna be the goal, eh?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yep, holding is the goal. No Temps to show, had a temp laser but didn't use it because it's hard to hold the phone at the Dyno screen and take readings at the same time. Don't wanna worry about Temps this run till we can drop that stoich more and it has extra gas to spare for its cooling properties. Didn't seem to feel like it was getting warm like it did the first set of runs, but that's a guess, and we had fans hitting it to, so I honestly can't say either way about heat yet. Just gotta get some jets from Taz, and we can take it from there.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Meatball wrote:TEMPS? What was the temperature doing on that epic 40mph run? My cht always showed that the heat would fly off the charts after 30mph for even just a few seconds at wot. One time when it soft seized, the temp on the cht actually kept climbing even after it had shut off for about 5 seconds. Sure, getting to 40mph is quite a feat for a Spree motor but holding it there for awhile is gonna be the goal, eh?
My spree held wot for long periods with no problem with the BBK. I got between 40 and 45 All the time temps max 350f
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:Im worried the mlm pipe may be shooting rpms too high for the bore and causing what you call a double band or something like that, when the bore loses the rmps the pipe picks up. I thought it could cause a issue if I am rembering right. Its like you get the first shot of power then another and a lot of people tuen for that low shot and it leans out to the top shot of power. Something like that.
Thanks for that info, I'll put it in my notes. And you might be on to something here.

Let's see if I can get a bigger image going here, but yeah, you absolutely see 2 power bands going on here. 3 If you count the pilot band. First one peaks at like 7300rpm, second one peaks at about 8300rpm. I think the Spree was doing something like 26-27mph on the first peak & like 31-32mph when it hit that 2nd peak.

Edit, I guess there is another too in the 9k to 9500 range. Perhaps that might be what you're talking about. Isn't a stock Spree tapped at like 8k, and the MLM brings it at up to 11k or somewhere about?

Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Here's a larger image of that stoich.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I wonder what the stoich graph would look like on a completely stock Spree fresh out of the box...hmm.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Meatball wrote:I wonder what the stoich graph would look like on a completely stock Spree fresh out of the box...hmm.
Yeah, it's too bad wwolvert didn't post that information, maybe he still has it? I would think so.

But anyways... here comes the NEXT video. I'm still trying to sort out how I want to present them. But remember my words from a couple posts ago when I said POD FILTER WINS.

Now, here's is where I am REALLY gonna blow your socks away when you watch this, so just because I said... in this round, POD filter wins.. don't think for a second that the battle is over.

AIRBOX did show what it COULD provide. I don't want you to look at top speed runs, or horsepower, or torque that I got out of it, I want you to look at STOICH.

I'll bore you with the progressive sampling videos later, but in this video, you will see where I ultimately chose to place 3-9.525mm (3/8)inch holes.

Ultraliner says he has 2 20mm holes but no change plugging 1, So I just went somewhere in between and placed all 3 holes, inline, just above where the air inlet on the box lid actually starts. If you look at the underneath of a Spree airbox lid, you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

I figured this is the next important video to share because it talks about all the things we have discussed about it in the last couple pages.

I was using a brand new, oiled by Honda even, OEM Honda filter.. like I said before, I am trying to keep these runs as close as possible to STOCK, your results may vary.

In this run, I have already introduced the oil premix into the tank, The 3 holes that I decided on were drilled, airbox is on, filter is in.

I TOLD SHAWN TO CUT AT 8000 RPM, wanted to get a feel for lubrication.

It was kind of a weak run by comparison, but pay attention to STOICH and DON'T knock "AIRBOX" down for the count just yet.

Here ya go, and again... PAY ATTENTION TO STOICH

Here is the next video to feast your eyes upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybDRKmT7Fo
Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

At 1:24 then after that at 1:33 listen to the pitch rpms dont really drop or gain that much but the pitch is when the pulse current through your ports is falling flat for the bore and dropping power, then the pipe picks up. When you cut the boost port out of the gasket and put the bore on, did the gakset fully clear the port?
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

MrJumps wrote: When you cut the boost port out of the gasket and put the bore on, did the gakset fully clear the port?
When I was cutting my boost port on the gasket during my installs, I noticed some additional trimming that needed to be done in other areas of the gasket. Some edges hung over into the other ports and more slight trimming was made for absolutely nothing to be restricted. I pre-fit the gasket on the jug AND on top of the motor before I mated them together. Good call, Jumps.

Yes, eclark. Looking at stoich is really the key ingredient. The speed, HP and torque peaks are just a byproduct of proper stoich.

That last video shows it hovering around 13 all the way up, give or take .1-.2...That's the most stable Ive seen. Dude, you are getting close!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Meatball wrote:
MrJumps wrote: When you cut the boost port out of the gasket and put the bore on, did the gakset fully clear the port?
When I was cutting my boost port on the gasket during my installs, I noticed some additional trimming that needed to be done in other areas of the gasket. Some edges hung over into the other ports and more slight trimming was made for absolutely nothing to be restricted. I pre-fit the gasket on the jug AND on top of the motor before I mated them together. Good call, Jumps.

Yes, eclark. Looking at stoich is really the key ingredient. The speed, HP and torque peaks are just a byproduct of proper stoich.

That last video shows it hovering around 13 all the way up, give or take .1-.2...That's the most stable Ive seen. Dude, you are getting close!
Stan "THE MAIN MAN" MECHANIC, ALSO CUT THE BOOST PORT TO WHERE HE THINKS IT SHOULD BE. All hail STAN the boost port man!!! This guy smokes alot of cigarettes, but knows his *. WE GOT THIS YO!!!!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In this next video, you hear me say it's gonna be our last run, but I change my mind at the end and do one more run, which would be the run at free air where we did 40.

But anyways, this run was done after we tested 3 holes. This we are just guessing here, is probably somewhere in the range someone gets if they run a pod filter. Maybe we are wrong, will find out for sure in the next set of runs with the pod filter in place. In this run, it's not too bad, The Spree has more to give be we don't wanna push it too hard. We take the tach into about 9500rpm with just a filter in place. What we are looking for in this run, is the stoich difference between the air box lid with 3 holes and the lid with just a plain filter letting in free air. NOT BAD per say, but an increase in both pilot and main could potentially make this run pretty decent with the stoich for pod filter users.. same thing with that last video with 3 holes. In this run, air idle could have used some adjustment but I decided we can sort that out later, that's easy. But here ya go..

No lid, filter in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX6IGOnuuvQ
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

How do you plan on changing the pilot? Just get the Polini carb?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Good question. Taz is sending me some stuff right now. We'll up it with what he provides and go from there. The Polini isn't in my budget at this time, but before I commit to a high dollar purchase like that, I wanna see what I can get out of a regular carb and run with that. The runs so far are making me lean more and more with going for the Polini. And I'm super extra curious about this intake.. But now I'm delving in "HOW FAR DO I WANT TO TWEAK IT OVER STOCK??" And will this work on the Spree? With a Polini on a Spree?? Hmm..

http://japan.webike.net/products/373376.html

Regardless if I go with the Polini and new intake or not, that's just something I'll put out there for those who REALLY REALLY wanna tweak it more aggressive then what I will be doing.