New-To-Me '87 DJ-1

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Late Night, Early Morning

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I can't believe I'm typing this but by the time I installed my TinyTach on Flash, packed up a sold clutch, sanded & primed my '01 wheel ... Well I've got to be up at 5 tomorrow and it's 12 now.

I want to take the Deej to the carwash because I'm dropping the engine and taking it all inside to examine & dismantle. I'd rather start fresh, so it'll have to wait to manana. Pics promised.

Uhh, what's a AF19? Is that a SE or a SA. :)

BTW Flash buried its needle deeper than ever tonight - wasn't packing GPS but 55 for sure! 10-Knot tailwind...:)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

chassis code for dj1rr.that bike came out in 88
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I wish I had a cool skooter like dat :| lolz
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

And The Winner Is....

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Well I haven't taken any pics yet, but I did have time to stop at the self-serve car wash with a spray bottle of S-100. Used the whole thing too.

Several spray-downs and high-pressure sessions later, as great steaming slabs of the decades' worth of accumulated crud and sludge were peeling off, I was able to read the engine code:

Are you ready?

Here it comes...

It's an AF....

05 E

Yes, notwithstanding the very cool anodized 2-piece belt cover, the markings were as plain as day. Exhaust port points out to the right. I haven't yet dropped the block for dismantling, but I suspect it has the same case intake port too. Could be worse. AF05 with bolt-on parts is good for 55 on the Aero. No telling how fast on this much smaller, lighter, more-Aero Deej.

How's them adaptors a-comin', Werx?

I don't know what I'm a-gonna do with it just yet. I've almost got li'l red Flash done, just a carb and a clutch and a front wheel/brake to receive and install. However my work life suddenly became annoyingly more time-consuming, to the point where it's threatening to encroaching on precious Scooter-wrenching time. That plus the apartment complex neighbors have been pretty tolerant of my Midnight Mods down on the ground floor landing under the steps. I'm not sure they'd be so accommodating if there were Two scooters chained to the railing.

I'll smuggle it upstairs under the cover of darkness and work clad in Fruit of the Looms in the comfort of my Boudoir.
I wish I had a cool skooter like dat lolz
(BurntToast)

Toasty, you better be careful what you wish for! The P.O. munched the switch wiring because he had no key. Hot wired for now. It needs a mirror and an oddball taillight that'll be a challenge to find. Other than that it's complete, for now. Flash is envious of the split cover and the sidestand... :)
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Man what a rip.. was wishin you could join the dio ranks with that bad boy :oops: lol

have fun with it either way, still a rare find 8)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

So that front kicker actually turns motor over? If so i wonder what's different, the kicker parts or pulley :? . Just wondering since the dio kicker fits on the af05 but pulleys are different and doesn't turn over motor.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Kickin' da Pulley

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I will pay close attention to the parts when I pull that cover off and report back. Honda-san can bend metal to his will. I suspect it's a simple enough matter for him to make things like kickers and pulleys match up. Us, not so much.
Wheelman-111
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Looks like a sister to my bike. Same everything/close everything BUT the headset. Neat nonetheless.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Wheelman-111

2-Piece Belt Cover on AF05

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, the kicker works. At 2500 miles the AF05E appears to have good compression.

Aside from a lot of surface scratches, the plastics are in remarkably good shape. Almost all the mounting tabs are present.

Pics manana.

It's too late to tear into it tonight, but I'll start dismantling next week. But for a buggered ignition switch, I should be able to start it.

Sure is small... Hmmm I wonder how fast Flash's Arreche-fed Polini could push it.
Wheelman-111
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES ! ! ! ! !! :shock: :D :shock: :D
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Wheelman-111

Plastic Surgery

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Here's what I have so far. The way-cool headset integrated lamps and signals:

The bottom tabs are present & accounted for. Both top screw-threaded tabs are MIA. Easy to reproduce, though.

The backside of said headset, speedo reads 2500 and change:

I wish Flash had a "Speed Warning". It would burn out quickly. :) It's set to 40 KPH.

The body plastics are also remarkably well-preserved, although about 20% of the tabs/threaded sleeves are gone. Most of them are on opposite sides, so it's easy to see how to build new ones. Just create a mirror image of the good one on the other side. A little clear tape and use of the existing mount tabs allowed me to mock it up:

Lots of chips, nicks and scratches, but totally restorable. All it takes is time and a trip to the body shop supply store. Even the chrome rack is unbent. Just one more pic and I'm done for the weekend:

The floor plastics and everything gray looks great when wet. I've tried two different detergents in the Boudoir bathtub. I have been unable to scrub that whitish residue that reappears as soon as the plastic dries. Short of paint - which probably wouldn't stick too well anyway - does anyone know how to eliminate that? Solvent rubdown?

For the more mechanically minded, I'll chronicle the frame and chassis teardown next week.
Wheelman-111
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

sweet, thanks for pics! looks like a winner hah DIO SWAP! :lol:
Wheelman-111

Dio Swap

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There y'all go again with the Dio Swap Suggestion! :roll:
Thanks for the undeserved pic compliment. :)
What about the residue thing? Thing's washed 3 times and still looks dusty when it dries! :evil: Can't paint in Casa Wheelman without producing a black carpet! :)
Wheelman-111
DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

Wheelman-111, there is black bumper dressing available at auto parts stores. It's normally used to restore the faded black trim on plastic bumpers. Not the cheapest on the block, but worth it to get things looking the way they should. Should be available at your auto body supply shop, too.

Nice looking ride you have. Makes me wish for warmer weather. A small favor. Would you PM me with a list of suppliers and parts you used on "Flash". I have an '87 Elite that I am going to re-build, and I need sources for parts. I am pretty sure it is an AF05, but as soon as I can un-bury the scoot and tear it down, I'll verify this. Thanks in advance.
Wheelman-111

Bumper Dressing

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for the bumper dressing suggestion. I have some - actually 3 different brands - and can't believe I didn't think of it. Senility creeps up on little cat feet. If there's a suggestion about a product to clean it first, lemme have it.

I can virtually guarantee there's an AF 05 E stamped on your transmission case cover behind the clutch. Unless some Dude! Swapped in a Dio!

Suppliers, hmm. Let's see. A thing like that should have some value. :twisted: Oh never mind!

Pipes are getting rare. The Scooter-Center GMBh somewhere in Germany still showed stock for a LeoVinci 4447 last time I looked. I got my Arreche carb from there too - the best price by far, including Euro/$ conversion and shipping, it was US83. Nobody comes close. Use the hyphen when you Google. If you talk to Klaus or Gunter, tell 'em Guy sez "Hey!".

DayWOT Stores' Keli variator ($40) and the $75 blue rear shock were the best values by far. He originally sold me the Polini 47mm bore, too. Patrick is knowledgable and will say "I don't know for sure..." if he doesn't. Then he finds out for sure. Good guy to know.

Provo Scooters has Arreche carbs, clutches and limited Honda stuff. Garrett was extremely helpful. So was a guy named Steve at the Scooter Hospital in Key West.

Most of the rest came from searching eBay and this Forum. The Phorum is full of helpful and kind people, Phatman. You just have to contribute back when you can, like you just did. Thanks!
Wheelman-111