Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by z50r-ghost »

Yes sir... STEALTH! Honda always seemed to get it right with their pipes; waaay back in probably 1993 I had a CR80 and I saved up all my moneys cutting grass to get a "PSI" brand race pipe and pro circuit silencer for it. After me and my Dad got it tuned out; I liked the powerband better with the stocker!

-j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Bike was delivered at 5 pm today. Started right up on the first kick. Thing desperately needs a tach though. Jon, can you point me to a good tach for it? I know this thing can rev, but don't want to overdo it, especially with only 235 miles on the odometer.

FYI, the tank has a dent in it at the top rear. Doesn't bother me for now, but it will eventually be replaced.
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

YAAAAY-YEAYA!!

That's awesome dude, I'm thrilled for you-!

First off, the "NS" engines are MADE to rev! (once broken in, as you noted)
So don't worry about overrevs; you will see what I mean when you take the first "real" broken-in ride! You will be going to the top if the rpm range each time you shift.
** That's the way the NS is supposed to be ridden **

Your bike comes with a "poor mans tach."
-look at your speedometer. It has gear change points that corresponds to the NS's speed-

When you ride, if you follow the speedos shift points, you will see that you will be shifting at high RPM's!

Still though, I can help you find a tach-
I bought a new NSR50 (2004) tach.

-the problem I had was getting the tach drive cable. Honda USA discontinued them. I ended up ordering and oem cable from Germany; I actually ordered 2 new cables, do if you need a cable, I got you covered there. It's the correct NS50R cable.

The second problem I was dealing with was the inner tach cable drive gear inside the trans cover case. I had to have that ordered from Germany too...

BUT- the cool part is when I went to install my cable and tach, I pulled out the cable plug in the trans cover, and the NS already has the drive gear installed, stock!

So all you need is the tach and cable, and a method to mount the tach.

I chose the stock HRC tach because I love the way it looks, and the fact it's a Honda part. Takegawa, kitaco, Daytona, etc make cable driven tachometers that look awesome, too.

When I get the extra moneys I'm going to order the Takegawa speedo that has the black face, with the neon green needle and numbers. :D

Anyways, I'll find some tachometers that look cool and I'll post them up! If you have no luck with finding a new tank down the road, I have my spare tank that had the dents professionally fixed and it's perfect...

I'm happy for ya, bro! Lets see some close up pics when you have time!
:2thumbs:

-j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
motormike

Post by motormike »

:coolcruise: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :urban: :bump:
.....................juz' passin' thru>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lookin' fur picherz>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :coolcruise:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

>>>>>> :peace: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>~~~

Hey, motormike! :hi: I'm just passing thru as well to see if Sanjuro posted up some pics yet as well-

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :peace:

Hope all is good w' ya bro- j :smile:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Dam it....

Sanjuro, I just thought of something. ALL of the mechanically (cable) driven tachometer kits that kitaco, takegawa, Daytona, etc. makes are driven off the CAM GEAR on Honda Monkey bikes. Since our bikes use the transmission to drive the tachometer, I am thinking that the drive ratio will be all wrong if you would buy one of those tachometer kits.
Unfortunately, I have never seen an aftermarket-kit NSR / NS50 tachometer.

Now there WAS a factory optional tach and cable that Honda offered when the NS50F was sold at the dealer; (along with the optional windshield fairing, radiator cover, and lower shroud).

I have only seen one of these elusive tachs; and it's on my buddy who brought his NS to ms to fix back in April. He "loaned" me his NS all summer to ride since he only rides it once a year for the True Grits ride at the end of October, so if you want me to take pics of the genuine Honda NS tach I can go into my basement and take a pic so you can see what it looks like. It's actually a really cool tach...
- ive just never seen one on eBay or on a forum, though.

You may have to get yourself an HRC NSR tach like I did, or search Yahoo Japan for a used NS50F / R tach. You could probably scoop one up really cheap!

If you need a way to search Yahoo Japan auctions, let me know and I will PM you how...

I'm researching if an aftermarket tachometer would work accurately right now, and just emailed my NSR buddy about it...

I'll post up what i find out-

Later, jon

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I had a really busy evening so haven't had time to write anything. Headed out again shortly.

The bike was a little dusty from transport, but I have to say I was AMAZED at how little dirty or dust was underneath the panels. I don't think this bike ever spent a night outside or even touched rain.

Gave it a wash anyways, and it looks all sparkly now. Couldn't start it for awhile afterwards and I'm guessing the filter got a little wet. Gonna let it air out.

...and, I'm shocked this bike weighs so little.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Jon, is the nsr50r tach the same as the nsr50 tach? Did you have to get a sub /wiring harness for that? Also, I'm thinking about ditching the airbox for a pod filter. Any recommendations on jet settings with your new PE carb?

Last of all, what type of coolant are you using?
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Good questions, Sanj...

The NSR50 (JDM street legal) tach is actually NOT the same as the NSR50R (2004 HRC racing - only version).
The difference is the HRC version that I have did not include light plugs for the neutral, turnsignals and oil warning lights. The holes are there for the lights on the HRC tach.
I'll take pics if mine to show you what I mean.

The later years of the NSR50 uses the same tach though; white bezel / orange needle.

I opted for the HRC tach because I'm not going to run the turnsignal lights, oil warning light (I'm premix only / I removed the oil pump and reservoir.)

As for the airbox, I kept mine and cut a hole in the side so my UNI pod filter actually goes into the airbox, to cut down on noise a bit. I also wanted to keep the airbox because the coolant tank mounts to the back of the airbox.

I am running MOTUL 50/50 motocross coolant (antifreeze). You can get it at any Honda dealer... I've heard it's really good stuff.

As well, I am using a KOYO Japan racing radiator cap, which increases the cooling system pressure for better cooling. The radiator I have is a new NSR50 (HRC) aluminum radiator.

Talk soon bro- hope this helps! Jon

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Thanks for the quick reply:-) I do want to run all of those lights on the tach. Any sources to order from?
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

No prob dude-

I was thinking you would probably want to run the lights...

Your best bet is to get a used (but great shape) tach from the Japanese street legal NSR50.
-There is always alot of them on yahoo japan.

Do you know how to use yahoo japan and bid on items? If not, I'll PM you how to do it... It's my "secret weapon" for the hard-to-find parts. :2thumbs:

Talk soons, jon. :smile:

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I have a source for yahoo japan auctions.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Just ordered the HRC tach. Probably 2-3 weeks out until it gets here.
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Man, that's great, Sanjuro! Which HRC tach did you buy; the one that I have (2004 NSR50R racing version) or... The JDM version for the street legal NSR50? -I'm guessing since you said "HRC" you bought the same one I have.

-I have a new spare NS50F tach cable if you need it; American Honda does not stock them anymore.

I cant wait to see some pics! :smile:

Later bro, j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

Wiring the lights would be really, really easy- since the NS has all those lights on it's gauge cluster already!

-j

...my life story

1990HONDANS50F