Welcome to the board!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the board!

Post by noiseguy »

All,

Welcome to the new home of the Honda Spree board. The board is dedicated to the Honda Spree. I had no idea how much interest there was in this old scoot. The current site, even though it isn't that great, received over 500 posts in 1 month, and over 1000 over the last 9. We'll see how it goes.

One difference here is that you must register b/f posting. This allows the creation of user profiles, so that you can private message each other, keep track of what messages you've already read, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

new forum

Post by Jim »

i think this is a cool idea, but lose the security login :wink:
Spangoo
Noob
Noob

Post by Spangoo »

The '86 is running like a swiss watch due to the advice from the old board (and Jerry's CD) - thanks for setting up this new board - now I'll have to try to figure out how it works.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new forum

Post by noiseguy »

Jim wrote:i think this is a cool idea, but lose the security login :wink:
No, I like the security login, which you only have to key in about once a month if you use the same computer. Here's why:

1) It keeps track of what you've read and haven't read. Stuff you haven't read shows up as yellow notes, stuff you've read as white.

2) Allows PMs, Personal Messages. I'll send you one. They're like email. Good for offline stuff.

3) Helps keep out spammers and hasslers. This hasn't been a problem yet, but since I'm paying for the bandwidth, I don't want to worry about them.

I realize that the previous board didn't require it, but then you couldn't keep track of anything or type in single quotes or caps. The user base had grown big enough that I though it was worth setting up something a little better, and more permanent.
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

Maybe they are referring to the security code login which I have never seen on a forum until now! The username and password is to be expected on such a complex board like this, but an ever changing security code is overkill. This is my first visit so I don't know if it caches my login on my next visit or not. If I have to type that in each visit, it might get annoying. P.S. Thanks for setting up this site, many people have interest in this spree but have hard time finding help!
FreddyT
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

New forum looks good, idea is fantastic. Don't want to put off any new members or have a lot of running around when people just type in 'Honda Spree' from a search engine.
Any ideas on how to funnel the interest to this group and to the sites that a couple of guys have now put up and are trying to get running?
Would be great if all search engines pointed to one place as the definitive source of info on these little bikes.
Scoot safely
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

well sign up for all the search engines, thats the only way to get traffic, then just hope and pray
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The nice thing about this site is that, since it's paid for, we have something like 400 megs of storage and gigs of monthly download transfers available. Which means we could put fairly large files here.

As far as funneling interest, what I would like to do is slowly transfer the membership from the moped2.org site (or whatever it was hosted on) to here. That site is listed on Google, so from there ppl should be able to find this site. This could be done by referring questions to answers posted here. Membership builds interest.

I'm going to submit this site to search engines on Monday. Other members may do the same.

As far as the rotating numbers for login go, you should only need to type them when logging in, and only need to log in every month or so as long as you aren't using a different computer every time. My account keeps updated both from home and at work. The rotating numbers are meant to confuse login-bots that spam sites. Computers can't resolve the number JPG like a human can.

Also, keep in mind you should not need to log in to view posts, only to make new ones. I'm not interested in forcing membership to view, only to post. If this is not the case, let me know ASAP and I'll fix the permissions.

Keep the questions coming; this is a good dialog to be having now.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

I think we need to take down the PHP nuke thing and put up a logo one of us makes. also I would like to see the forums somhow on the front page. like: "newest post: From author, subject" I have no idea how you can do that so dont ask lol. but i will submit some designs for the replacment of the banner at the top. these are just sugestions :) friendly little sugestions, you dont have to do it if you dont want to.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
porter92
BMX
BMX

Post by porter92 »

I'd be willing to try to make a logo. I'm not a pro at it, but it would be something to do. I need a pic of a spree to start with (I'd use mine but the covers are off because I'm working on it). If anyone has one, email it to my address in my profile.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Huh. Try changing your "theme" to Sunset. I did up a logo, I guess it's not showing up.

Got a logo? Send it to me; I'm not that happy with mine anyway.

There's a way to get "newest posts" up. There's thousands of options for this board; it's just a matter of finding them all.
Godholio
Noob
Noob

Post by Godholio »

Yeah, Php is pretty versatile. And at the moment, it loads BLAZING fast. I'm on dialup, and I'm a regular at 2 other php forums, and this one is a lot faster. Probably because not many people are here yet, and there arent 4 million different forums.
db50
Noob
Noob

Post by db50 »

Hello Spree folks. I just found this site after looking around for Spree info for a couple of weeks. I had an opportunity to buy an '86 black Spree for about $380 but missed out because I waited too long to buy it. I rode it and immediately wanted to rescue it and restore it to its former glory. I don't like to buy bikes I'm not familliar with so I hunted around the 'net till I found this site. Now the old scoots gone. There's still hope as a neighbor has recently picked up one but its in bad shape. Low compression and other less serious issues. He may or may not sell it...but he's into drag racing nis Monza at a nearby strip. Racing requires money so I'm thinkin' he won't get around to the Spree. Meantime, I'll stay in touch with you guys to learn more about this little machine. db50
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

Hi! Welcome to the board, hope you get that spree. See ya round the board.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
db50
Noob
Noob

Post by db50 »

Thanks, Jim.