Cryogenics?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Cryogenics?

Post by Lunytune »

A guy was telling me about NASCAR doing cryogenics, very successfully. Key issue was possible increase in performance, but more important was to destress molecules in components so it would have better chance of finishing 2-3 hour race.

Ever heard of it being done in small engines?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Re: Cryogenics?

Post by Fishman43 »

Isn't cryogenics freezing living tissue cells for later use. I'm looking forward to that news article...

HEADLINE NEWS. Scientists Bring 1984 NASCAR Winning Car Back To Life After Being Cryogenically Preserved For 40 Years
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Fishman43 wrote:HEADLINE NEWS. Scientists Bring 1984 NASCAR Winning Car Back To Life After Being Cryogenically Preserved For 40 Years
:D :D BTW - While back, Car & Driver printed pics of a 50's car put into a concrete time vault and recently opened, water leaked in, it was sad...

Cyrogenics (wiki)
The branches of physics and engineering that involve the study of very low temperatures, how to produce them, and how materials behave at those temperatures
Lunytune wrote:A guy was telling me about NASCAR doing cryogenics, very successfully. Key issue was possible increase in performance, but more important was to destress molecules in components so it would have better chance of finishing 2-3 hour race
Interesting topic for research

I've seen shops advertising cyrogenic treatment of parts such as cyls and pistons when looking for machine shops that would bore small cyls. Don't know much about it and benefits for a close to stock street scooter. But the technical side would be interesting in itself.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Almost cryo-treated my zip90 top end back in the day when I had it for an experiment, but chose to forego it..

Had found a place up in New Mexico or thereabouts that did it for $80 for up to 8lbs with a weeks turnaround time

Would be interesting to try again, supposed to have great benefits. Like a 5% gain on 100cc go cart engine they did
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The way I understand it, its effects are similar to why camshaft shops let their bar stock sit outside for years to "age" it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

When I used to work as car mechanic and machinist way back when I was in my 20's, we used cyrogenic treatment on transmission components, mostly differential cases, ring and pinion gears. When you build cars that puts out 800-1200 horsepower with 1000-1500 foot pounds of torque in a split second, a lot of things tend to break.

I personally don't know anyone who cryo treated moped components though.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

How is the process done?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

bradthreee wrote:How is the process done?
Molecular stress sets up in casting of metal, and believe even in machining. The task is to "relax" the molecules, removing the stress. Best for temp, fatigue, wear, I don't now all benefits, I'm riding the learning surf.

Process as I understand is to freeze the item/s down to 300 below zero for 24 hours, let recover and then bake up to 300 degrees for a period of time. I'm still researching to learn more on this.

I have a connection of a guy with experience in it, and open to doing scooters if there can be a profit. I wonder how many in this forum would be interested in doing it.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

I have no idea how it's done since we send all of our stuff to the mainland for this kind of stuff.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Lunytune is right about the basics of the procedure.The out come is to relive internal stresses ,it creates a finer grain crystal,that intern reduces the internal stress and I believe a "harder/tougher"steel. I know a couple common applications are expensive ($150) barber scissors and expensive rifle barrels($300-$500).Because of the finer grain the parts become "harder/tougher" thus less prone to wear.....Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Carp, one bit of history I read was Swiss watchmakers discovered hundred years or more the benefits of low grade cryo. They would pack watch parts in snow and let them set over the winter, and pack parts in caves through the winter. And we wonder why Timex could not compete with a true Swiss jeweled watch.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

my friend's uncle is a doctor and he cryo treated some things, says he hasn't bought a new shaving razor in 7 years (it never gets dull because it is so hard). He also treated the heads of his golf clubs, It makes a big difference (I think he was claiming an additional 35 yards on his drive).
Lunytune wrote:I have a connection of a guy with experience in it, and open to doing scooters if there can be a profit.
I don't know how much profit there is because cryo treatment has been around long enough, I think someone would have caught on by now...ceramic does the same thing for our purposes and is cheaper, it just takes more math because you are adding rather than treating the parts.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Lunytune wrote:
bradthreee wrote:How is the process done?
Molecular stress sets up in casting of metal, and believe even in machining. The task is to "relax" the molecules, removing the stress. Best for temp, fatigue, wear, I don't now all benefits, I'm riding the learning surf.

Process as I understand is to freeze the item/s down to 300 below zero for 24 hours, let recover and then bake up to 300 degrees for a period of time. I'm still researching to learn more on this.

I have a connection of a guy with experience in it, and open to doing scooters if there can be a profit. I wonder how many in this forum would be interested in doing it.
Try it first, research gains. Then shoot out some prices for us ;)
projects galore :nerd:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I would like to know in detail if possible the procedure of doing this. I work in a lab and have access to liquid nitrogen and autoclaves. It may be a possibility for me to try things :wink:
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

bradthreee wrote:I work in a lab and have access to liquid nitrogen
I know this is what the doctor used but I don't know the details...he did say he used gloves but I am sure you know that if you have ever dealt with liquid nitrogen(can be very fun stuff :twisted: ).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.