Kicker cover cut in half to cool clutch?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Kicker cover cut in half to cool clutch?

Post by Lunytune »

burnt_toast wrote:Yes this would be a great idea. even AF05 uses double bearing setup and no need for having rear half on there, it'll def help with heat soak
Toast, what are you referring to "double bearing"? Non serviceable Sealed bearing?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Hawaii actually rains a lot. It may not rain for extended periods but the humidity we have does some really evil things to your carb's jetting.

The cover can be cut, we use bandsaws to make a clean cut which exposes the rear half of the trans/clutch bell. This is important for us since heatsoak is critical especially when you increase power through upgrades. For the Vento/Jog/Jog-copy engines, you cannot cut off the rear half and must resort to drilling out holes or something like Toast did for his bike.

Rain/water isn't as bad on the trans as you might think, engine heat soaks into the trans and usually burns off water very quickly even in the rain from all the friction. The biggest problem is mud/sludge/oil that might spash up and contaminate the areas where the pads meet the bell housing.

Rain is mostly very bad for your carb and fuel system (water contamination) or for your pipe (if you run a stroker pipe hot, the water will fatigue the metal especially near the J-area or near any weld that isn't protected by paint or clearcoating.)
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

i did this by drilling a hole through the cover and ran a bandsaw blade through the hole and cut it out
dont have it installed yet cause im still tweaking stuff...but when im done im sure it will look killer

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Lunytune wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:Yes this would be a great idea. even AF05 uses double bearing setup and no need for having rear half on there, it'll def help with heat soak
Toast, what are you referring to "double bearing"? Non serviceable Sealed bearing?
a microfiche might show it best.. but essentially there are two bearings in the trans cover to support the clutch axle shaft. why this is better: a jog has single bearing in trans then another on the opposite side of clutch shaft located in case cover. SO you cant just hack off the rear half without causing extra shaft play and adding vibrations plus more wear

bearing1, on trans cover #17

bearing2, inside case #34
projects galore :nerd:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

looks nice and stylish SpyderMike, should show off that RPM bell even more :P
projects galore :nerd:
akskoot
Spree
Spree

Post by akskoot »

SpyderMike wrote:i did this by drilling a hole through the cover and ran a bandsaw blade through the hole and cut it out
dont have it installed yet cause im still tweaking stuff...but when im done im sure it will look killer

that looks really good! Nice flowing lines and smooth edges. I bet you could make some money on the side if you could produce those on a made to order basis.
1985 Aero 50--'87 AF05 motor, ported and polished, Ruckus Vari, 1.5K torque spring, 1K clutch springs, drilled exhaust/airbox,#85 jet, Pirelli 3.0-10s= 45mph flat
http://www.myspace.com/the1120s Image
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

burnt_toast wrote:
Lunytune wrote:Toast, what are you referring to "double bearing"? Non serviceable Sealed bearing?
a microfiche might show it best.. but essentially there are two bearings in the trans cover to support the clutch axle shaft.
Okay, I understand, and its strength over the other bike. You wouldn't be able to totally eliminate the cover on the jog and restricted on the holes/cuts you would make. And too, I notice the outer bearing on the AF05E is sealed, so protected from dirt, dust, grime.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

I will post pics of mines, too... but it was sold quite a while ago.... :D -it may give you some ideas though...

later, jc
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

SpyderMike wrote:dont have it installed yet cause im still tweaking stuff...but when im done im sure it will look killer
Already looks killer, good work, love the custom extras people make.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

SpyderMike wrote:i did this by drilling a hole through the cover and ran a bandsaw blade through the hole and cut it out

Really nice SpiderMike, edges look nice almost OEM. :D

We have a few Yoshi rear trans covers but it doesn't sell too well because when you mod past 72cc here, the heat generated and retained by the trans parts really beat up on the belt. My old '89 Elite was 72cc with some really crazy porting that we dyno'd showing 16HP before we blew up a brand new belt with a vented rear trans cover during our 5th run. We changed the belt only to blow it up on the 4th run. We took off the rear cover and the belt held for another 12 runs. For bikes like that the difference between having a cover (vented) and not is about 60F.

A long time ago, a person showed me a prototype vented (front) kicker cover for DIOs that had an additional air scoop that redirected flow to the clutch/bell housing area. Like anything that appears to be a gimmick I was skeptical (I'm a very skeptical kind of person, I doubt anything will work until it proves otherwise.) We took temp readings of my shop bike after a ride around the block. We swapped over his kicker cover and did the same thing without letting the engine cool down much. I was shocked to see my infrared thermometer read a 55F temp reduction over a setup that already didn't have the rear trans cover. I really want to know what happened to that guy.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.