Scooter *

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Scooter *

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Never change old habits!

This morning I thought I'd take advantage of the capacious underseat SA50 storage bin by stuffing my Armored Mesh Jacket in there rather than lugging it from the parking garage to the office.

Come quittin' time, I arrive at the scooter, reach in my pocket, and - you guessed it - No Key! 80% sure it's in the jacket. Try to pick the lock myself without success. Call the Pop-A-Lock equivalent, he arrives a half-hour later and after 20 minutes up pops the seat. That'll be $50, my good man... Glad to pay it.

Reach into jacket pocket and... Remember that 20%? No Key! Fortunately Pop-A-Lock guy's still there and tries to pick the ignition switch so at least I can ride home. Turns out his pick can't turn anything unless the switch plunger is depressed, and his picks aren't long enough. He gives up, takes my $50 anyway and drives off. At least I had the good sense to flip the hasp so the seat wouldn't re-lock.

Scour the office, hallways, break areas; No Key!

Call to Deepinnaharta Honda (they're open until 7:00) and instructed to remove the ignition switch and give them the code behind the bracket. It's 6:45. I break out the rock-and-stick toolkit and successfully remove the front cover, switch and bracket. Call back to DH with 3 minutes to spare. Code received, overnight delivery of 2 keys assured. But they can't order until tomorrow.

Call taxi, ride home...

I just wanted to scoot! :(
Next keychain will be made of titanium.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Scooter Key *

Post by mr pibbs »

That is a bum deal. Sorry to hear.

When i purchased my scoot i was surprised that the previous owner had made around 5 copies of the key. They are not all perfect double cuts, but nice to hide them throughout my life just in case.

The key blank ref is Ilco DC1 i believe.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Scooter *

Post by burnt_toast »

wow so that really blows, what da * happened to your key??
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Computerized Honda Homing Key

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sinister Honda-san Ninja Minions evidently equipped the key with a micro-processor and self-propulsion system. After 9 years, it escapes the bonds of key chain and hightails it back to Japan. :)

Beats the flack outta me ... I searched, retraced looked under everything everywhere I'd been. Probably got picked up off the floor and put in the trash by someone thoughtless.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Wheelman,
That is a tough day, d* keys are too small, and always separate so the key ring doesn't trash your plastic.

One thing I note, is your unflappable nature and preparedness.
I break out the rock-and-stick toolkit and successfully remove the front cover, switch and bracket.
Wheelman-111

Inflappability

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for the support, Bra! A $10 cabride later and I'm home, scooter chained to a railing in a monitored garage. Think I'll walk to work manana.
Wheelman-111
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Ahhh Wheelman, the guy that thinks of everything down to the last little detail but forgets to prepare for certain situations like this. Make a copy of your new key, shucks just buy 2 from Honda San and place one in your wallet. Unless you are the type to put it in your jacket pocket and place your jacket in your storage compartment. Wait! What am I saying? Of course you are the type to do that! Buy some new bling and put the key around your neck!

Later Holmes :mrgreen:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I learned a long time ago to always carry a spare key. I have a second key ring, with a spare key for each vehicle and the house. However I still have AAA Plus for when I screw up and forget key ring #2 and the neighbor has a spare house key.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

I would've removed the front fairing and hotwired the thing but that requires tools so...

oh well. I leave a spare keyset at home, work and my in-law's home.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
oliveskate
Spree
Spree

Post by oliveskate »

Dang, that sucks.
Good thing I got a spare :)

I was trying to put my new tires on my rims today, and I ripped the tube i think :S and i feel like i got shot in the *, cause i hate when i f s*** up lol. So I'm going to get it repared tommorow, and put on by the pros :P

But sorry to hear ur bad news, maybe u should put a finger print starter on ur scooter :P LOL
JLLY.
89 SE50 A.K.A THE BEAST
Need a website made? PM me!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I went back and double checked I have all my keys.. after reading this thread :lol:
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

My mom has my spare key, and she won't tell me where it is :?: :idea: :shock: :lol: :x
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

Arnadanoob wrote:I would've removed the front fairing and hotwired the thing but that requires tools so...

oh well. I leave a spare keyset at home, work and my in-law's home.
which gets me thinking-
there must be somewhere on a scooter that one can
stash a spare key,i won't say where but i can think of a place or two... zip tie.check from time to time to verify that it is still there.something you don't need til you need it...
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

mookie wrote:there must be somewhere on a scooter that one can
stash a spare key,i won't say where but i can think of a place or two... zip tie.check from time to time to verify that it is still there.something you don't need til you need it...
I found one taped to the inside of the airbox once on a motorcycle I bought. very clever because it was a wingnut cover and then a foam filter and then a black piece of tape covering the key...I only pulled it off because I didn't see the point to having extra tape in the airbox and whala, there was a spare key :shock:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

eliteguy50 wrote:
mookie wrote:there must be somewhere on a scooter that one can
I found one taped to the inside of the airbox once on a motorcycle I bought. very clever because it was a wingnut cover and then a foam filter and then a black piece of tape covering the key...I only pulled it off because I didn't see the point to having extra tape in the airbox and whala, there was a spare key :shock:
thats actually a really nice idea. would be very easy to do on elite/spree box!