1987 honda spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

clint699
Noob
Noob

1987 honda spree

Post by clint699 »

hello all,

i just picked up a 87 honda spree. the problem is. i cant get gas to the bowl of the carb? when i suck the vacum line gas does comeout. but it feels like there is air coming out of the nipple. not sucking... am i missing something? if it is supposed to suck the vacum line it definetly IS NOT?

so confused???
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1987 honda spree

Post by Lunytune »

clint699 wrote:when i suck the vacum line gas does comeout. but it feels like there is air coming out of the nipple. not sucking... am i missing something? if it is supposed to suck the vacum line it definetly IS NOT?
so confused???
Let's see if I understand you. You suck on the vacuum line and gas comes out as long as you are sucking, but when you stop sucking, it stops. In truth, you should be able to suck a vacuum, and put your tongue over the end of the vacuum hose and it should hold. If it doesn't, you've got a vacuum leak somewhere or a bad petcock.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
clint699
Noob
Noob

Post by clint699 »

how do you mean if i put my tongue over it it should hold? gas should continue? or it should stop? my deal is. if i suck on the vacum line then gas flows. but there is a nipple were the gas/oil mixture thingy is...next to the carb. there is air coming thru the nipple. so if it is supposed to be sucking?? but there is air coming OUT. it is not sucking??

oh boy i think i just confused myself???lollol
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

clint699 wrote:how do you mean if i put my tongue over it it should hold? gas should continue? or it should stop? my deal is. if i suck on the vacum line then gas flows. but there is a nipple were the gas/oil mixture thingy is...next to the carb. there is air coming thru the nipple. so if it is supposed to be sucking?? but there is air coming OUT. it is not sucking??

oh boy i think i just confused myself???lollol
You confused me too. :? The point is, the petcock is a vacuum controlled valve. It does not require "continual" vacuum. That's what I mean by putting your tongue over the end of the tube. Now let's see if I understand "there is air coming thru the nipple". Are you saying there is air coming out the gas line? Doesn't make sense, but if it is, that is not a problem as air would vent off in the carburetor bowl.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

OK you have 3 hoses coming off the carb one is the fuel line(its usualy larger) the other is on the manifold its the vac line and one is the oil line (usualy clear) take off the vac line off the manifold (the pipe that the carb is connected to the engine) and suck on that line. remove the fuel line and if fuel comes out then the petcock works, if you hold the vacuum in the line closed (using your tounge) the fuel will continue. Now if you have air coming out of any other hoses you have problems if you fuel stops wile there is still vac pressure in the line then you have a vac leak.
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
clint699
Noob
Noob

Post by clint699 »

horray.

wheelman got it.... yes i mean the 1/8 metal hose barb at the manifold is expelling air instead of sucking....

thanks wheelman. i will try these things

Greetings:

A pull on the petcock line should draw the diaphragm down to open the valve. Capping the line (or plugging it with your tongue - eek!) while under vacuum should keep that flow going indefinitely. If that's where your "air is coming out", then there's a pinhole in your diaphragm. Relace if so.

If you mean the 1/8" metal hose barb at the manifold is expelling air instead of sucking, there is an in/out rhythm to it, but the net result should be vacuum. If not your reedvalve isn't sealing or there's a gasket gap somewhere.

+Sparse remains of Flash I&II, Deej, and Flush I on eBay or PM for your needs.
Founder: Wheelman's Home for Abandoned 'Cycles
clint699
Noob
Noob

Post by clint699 »

wheelman,

could you tell me the other gaskets to check if it is not the reedvalve? im sure that the side cover gasket needs replacing?

thanks soooo much for figuring that one out..

i no my discription wasnt much to go off of
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Working from the carb on forward:

The brown "heat insulator" can be installed 4 ways. Only one is correct.

Then the reedblock to manifold (top), and the reedblock to engine case (bottom). The belt cover gasket serves no real sealing purpose but is mandatory to provide the correct spacing between the block and cover to avoid pinching the starter motor shaft. You cannot substitute sealant.

Other than the crank end seals, which only go bad infrequently unless someone has manhandled the crank with an air impact tool, that's it!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

clint699 wrote:i no my discription wasnt much to go off of
Yes, it was a challenge. :? A definite language and spelling barrier.
Capping the line (or plugging it with your tongue - eek!)
Wheelman is a weenie. :mrgreen: But he'll point you in the right direction, as long as he understands your problem. He's tops on reed valve.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

[quote="Lunytune]Wheelman is a weenie. :mrgreen: ...................................[/quote]

Wheelman is from Texazz, of course he is a weenie. They are all so whimpie. I think it is the size of the state that intimidates them. Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Longhorn Weenie

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Weenie? WEENIE?!

Didn't I go out and test ride during that Tornado Warning because of your razzing, Mr. Bear?

Yes, I can suck gasoline with the best of 'em, but I don't condone it for you kids during your Childbearing Years. Use a Mit-Y-Vac and avoid those congenital malformations. (you might end up like The Bear... :) )

Anyhow I'm a Montrealer. I just got to Tejas as quick as I could. Canada has lousy Bar-B-Que. :)
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Bear45-70 wrote:Wheelman is from Texazz, of course he is a weenie. They are all so whimpie. I think it is the size of the state that intimidates them.
Easy there, I'm from Texas. :evil: In Wheelman's case, it's that trace of Canuck blood still in him. :P But he's coming around... in direct proportion to the BBQ he eats.

Yeah Guy, I didn't think about these youngsters not knowing how to syphon gas properly. Sure wouldn't want their kids looking like you know who. :mrgreen:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I come here for a little respect and that's exactly what I get "very little respect." Image Just remember you weenie Texicans, there has already been one Alamo. Image

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
clint699
Noob
Noob

Post by clint699 »

thanks for all the help

you say the "heat insulator" can be installed 4 ways. could you describe to me the "correct" way please?

thanks again
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

"Ears up" = Wrong. '0'

"Ears down", both o-rings touching = Wrong.

Ears down, o-ring against manifold = Right. .0.
Wheelman-111