First Spree - looks like an 86

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

First Spree - looks like an 86

Post by breaze »

Hi all, I am new to this forum and to Sprees. Got the bug last year by picking up an '81 Honda NX50 SR. Enjoyed the process but found it difficult to complete due to certain parts being difficult to find. Since then, an '82 FA50, an '80 NA50 II Express, and an '81 Passport 70 - all complete and running well except the SR is a little hard to start.

Anyway, got a chance at what seems to be a 1986 Spree - black with lavender trim - guessing 86 based on logo. It is disassembled, rusty, maybe some plastic damage, and missing at least a carburetor (per seller), but only asking $50.00. Seems to be similar in nature to the old SR. but I'm hoping the auto-bystarter has been improved - looks different conceptually from what I can tell from the little research I've done.

Planning to pick it up today and get started - wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom - anything to look for once I get to see it, how difficult and pricey a carb will be - what about the petcock cover I hear is missing on some of them.

I'm not looking to make it anything more than it was originally - I get these for the project value and then for my kids to ride on camping trips, etc. I'm 53 and 225 lbs. so I'm not expecting a large scoot that will get me around at 45 mph, my understanding is to expect a tiny scoot that will top out just under 30 and the perfect size for my 12 yr. old.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: First Spree - looks like an 86

Post by odinxxix »

hello and welcome to the forum/club.
petcock covers are like gold hard to find and pricey. the carb should be easy dont buy one unless you absolutly have to. clean,clean,clean,and clean again!! toy can find the year on the id tag on the front down tube. being black its probably 86/87. 84/84 only have electric start unless modified. a member here by the name TAZLAND001 sells a 44mm big bore kit which is a 3mm jump over stock. and gives good torque and a bit of upper end. there is plenty of help here for the spree. all you need to do is ask. also get yourself the manual from the manuals section its full of tests the you will need to perform. havs fun and post a pic of your new scoot!!! we love pics.!
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
mookie
Elite
Elite

Re: First Spree - looks like an 86

Post by mookie »

+1
i have many Spree parts as do other members here and we are all more that happy to assist you in your scooterlife....
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember