How to quiet a 1986 Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

duckcove
BMX
BMX

How to quiet a 1986 Spree

Post by duckcove »

I do a lot of photography work with wildlife and game cameras during the summer and use the Spree to "quietly" sneak around the woods (well almost). Is there any way to reduce the noise level on the little guy to make it less noisy?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: How to quiet a 1986 Spree

Post by Lunytune »

duckcove wrote:I do a lot of photography work with wildlife and game cameras during the summer and use the Spree to "quietly" sneak around the woods (well almost). Is there any way to reduce the noise level on the little guy to make it less noisy?
Now that's quite a challenge. As a hunter who has discovered the value of scooters in the woods, I too would like to quieten my Elite/bbk, which is even more noisy than the Spree. I'm not sure if there is a solution. It is hard to sneak up on critters, even walking. So I join you in your endeavor.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Wheelman-111

Spreeal Quiet! (We're Hunting Wabbits)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

"Be vewy vewy quiet!". Sprees are about as quiet as it gets, but it's possible that some countries' noise standards were more severe than ours. Presuming you could identify which countries had such Draconian standards, getting a usable muffler for a 24 year-old scooter a very long shot.

Be sure that the exhaust you have hasn't had its baffles drilled by some ne'er-do-well previous owner. The stock airbox also makes much less noise than a clamp-on filter.

Presuming you have such a stock setup, may I suggest you try wrapping the headpipe with muffler cloth? This is normally done for performance reasons, but I suspect it might attenuate some of the pop at the loudest point on the exhaust. You might also consider cementing sound-deadening foam inside your panels. (if not already so equipped...)

Be advised that the road-going Spree has no US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor, required for off-road operation in Federal Parks and elsewhere. Only a problem if a Game Warden decides it is.

Happy sneaking!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

duckcove wrote:I do a lot of photography work with wildlife and game cameras during the summer and use the Spree to "quietly" sneak around the woods (well almost). Is there any way to reduce the noise level on the little guy to make it less noisy?
The only after market for 'silent pipes' that I have seen are based on four stroke motors. the two strokes just have too much power loss when smothering the engine.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I suspect too that more noise comes directly from the motor than from the exhaust. Insulating the panels may be as much help as muffler. My noisy one is ratted out without panels.
duckcove
BMX
BMX

Post by duckcove »

I believe you are right on the engine noise. My stock spree has, what appears, to be closed celled foam inside the panels. I'll keep my eyes out for some. My 64 year old bones find it's more difficult to hike hills these days. Since I only bowhunt exclusively, I'll try the Spree this year to get me where I want to go. Hopefully, the foam will help. Gettin old ain't no fun but I can still climb trees OK. Duck
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

duckcove, if you can still pull a bow, you're doing fine. I turn 65 this year. Doctor signed off on crossbow waiver several years ago. Didn't help. Can't shoot what you can't see. I'm either too noisy, too visible or too stinky... or all of the above. :sad:

Your "closed celled foam" lining sounds interesting. That could well be a solution. I'm near positive it wasn't original, and previous owner apparently "sprayed?" something on the panels. I'm intrigued and curious.
duckcove
BMX
BMX

Post by duckcove »

The closed cell foam appears to be about 5/8" thick and is black. It could have been a different color when new. I know that computer stores sometimes put this stuff in the garbage after unwrapping their components. I'm going to check on this and line the rear panels thoroughly with it. Oh yes, I had shoulder reconstruction last year and went to the crossbow...not the same! If you spend some time in the woods in Jan. and Feb. and see the REAL deer sign, it will give you your best chance at seeing one next fall. As I had mentioned, I run my trail cams 10 months out of the year and found out that deer will be and STAY in the most unlikely spots! Very gratifying hobby. Best wishes. Duck
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

i have what appers to be like black fiberglas material before the goo stuff goes on,know what i mean.? it on the inside of my panels.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

The more times the exhaust flow changes direction (180 degrees) the more likely the sound waves will cancel each other out. That is how the baffelling inside the stock exhaust works.

What about the silencers that are on the end of the big expantion pipes? If you fit one of those on the end of you stock spree pipe, it would be pretty quiet.

Use the stock air box too, without it sprees can be very loud on the intake side.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
duckcove
BMX
BMX

Post by duckcove »

I think the noise "IS WHAT IT IS" and would be very difficult to mask to a level of a four stroke. There would have to be "trade offs" with possible engine performance. The little stock '86 has barely enough power to climb the hills and steep trails of Tennessee without coughing up sputum. That being said, where there is a will, there is a way!