1982 honda express sr two speed scooter

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

clint699
Noob
Noob

1982 honda express sr two speed scooter

Post by clint699 »

hello,

is anyone familiar with these scoots? i have been to several websites that claim that the sr has a two speed transmission? i just got mine and have ridden it about 5 times now. i have yet to get it into second gear? it tops out about 25mph. i have had the side cover off and the back tire is off now, but i cannot see where this two speed trans is? is this claim true? am i just looking in the wrong place?

i am certain that the rpms need to be up before it will shift, but where is it??

THANKS ALOT FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1982 honda express sr two speed scooter

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
Congrats on your Express SR, I like their looks - but have yet to own one.

Wiki says the Express SR has a CVT rather than 2 speed trans. Check out the Urban Express (CVT too) and compare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Express

There is a link to manuals for the Express/ExpressII and Urban Express from here:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =11&t=1158
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Re: 1982 honda express sr two speed scooter

Post by az_slynch »

It has a CVT. You will not feel the shift, between the low power of the motor and the heavy roller weights (weighed my stock ones at 13g each!). Not sure about the rear fender clearance, as mine didn't have the rear fender, but I was able to fit 3.00-10 tires on it. My stock airbox was gone too, so I would up fitting an AutoZone cone filter (meant to be a crankcase breather) on the intake neck. Stock jetting is #78. I bought multiple jets to tune it for the cone filter, wound up downjetting to a #75 to keep it from four-stroking (it would four-stroke on an open carb with the #78). With those changes, I could get the bike to 32mph consistently on a level. Blew by a police officer doing 34 once! And yeah, I kinda exceeded the bike's load capacity by nearly 90 pounds.

I can't recall if the rollers were the same size as used in later Hondas. Acceleration was abysmal, but I never got into tuning it further. Sold it to a fellow scooter club member so I could buy my '64 Vespa.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)