New Spree Owner

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

catsailor
Spree
Spree

New Spree Owner

Post by catsailor »

Hi,
I have been lurking on this forum since the beginning of last summer when I got my first Spree. I sail a catamaran where weight on board is an issue. I wanted reliable light in weight, ground transportation, and I came across a white 84 Spree that was in pretty good condition and got it. Little did I know that when I rode the Spree for the first time, I loved it. I found myself looking for excuses to take the Spree anywhere!!! Now that it is winter and there is snow on the ground in Rhode Island, I have her in the basement and am cleaning up, and installing Taz's big bore kit and gears. Im sure I will have many questions during this process.

In the meantime....I have been looking at ebay and craigslist just about every day, and I came across a pick up only for another spree as well as a Geely scooter. Long story short, I won the auction for a insanely low bid, and now have 3 scooters in my basement. Both of the scooters are in rough condition. I would love to build another scooter for my wife to ride, but am not sure if I should bother with these, or part them out and buy another working spree or elite. I have taken a handful of photos to post, but am having a hard time doing so. I would love to hear everyones opinion as to where to go with these. Thanks for the wealth of info so far.
1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Re: New Spree Owner

Post by catsailor »

Here is my running spree that is about to get Taz's go fast parts
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Here are a few of the spree I got on ebay.
As you can see it is in pretty rough condition. Only plastics are front fairing, handle bar, and front fender. It is missing carb, and right now the back wheel wont spin. Have not taken apart motor yet to see if it is worth moving forward with. I am also not sure what type of exhaust this is.

Here are a few of the Geely. Dont know the motor, type etc, and if it is even worth working on. have most of the plastics for it.

And here is a Honda seat/tank that came along with the whole package. Any ideas what it is from, or if anyone here has any use for it?

Thanks for any input you may give me.
jesse8931
Spree
Spree

Post by jesse8931 »

swap the 4 stroke into the spree and ride :peace:
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

is the geely a 4 stroke?
Wheelman-111

Pipes n' Saddles

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Geely may or may not be a 4-stroke. If it's old enough, it may lack an oil tank because Premixed fuel was expected. However most modern 2-smokers had oil pumps and reservoirs for oil.

That's a wild-looking pipe on your Spree block. Definitely see if it can be refurbished and placed into service of the white one.

That saddle looks nothing like any scooter saddle I've seen.

Post pics of tha Catamaran? (Maybe go for General Chit-Chat section...)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Here is a link to me solo sailing the cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHaPBFGWKb0
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

The saddle...... I shot the good side of it!!!!!! The entire left side has been eaten by some rodent, down to the plastic. Do you think I should part these out and buy a running Spree, or should i bite the bullet and build?
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

Here is one more of the catamaran. now back to topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Tgppr0Eew
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

catsailor wrote:And here is a Honda seat/tank that came along with the whole package. Any ideas what it is from, or if anyone here has any use for it?
Looks like a passport c70 seat to me.
For the geely, look through the sparkplug hole in the fan shroud to see if there are any valve covers.
For the spree, pull the spak plug and use a dowel to push down on the piston. It may be that the motor is worth saving and that your brakes are stuck in the rear. Either way, it doesn't cost you anything but a couple minutes.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

I broke down the motor to the Spree last night. Looks like it was stored outside without the sparkplug in. The amount of vegitative crap and rust that I have scraped from the inside of this thing is staggering. That being said, everything seems to be turning, alothough some a little rougher than others. Here are some pics of what I have come up with so far.

So what are your thoughts? It it worth resurection, or should i save what I can for parts and pitch the rest?
Wheelman-111

Spreesurrection

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A rescuscitative challenge, to be sure.

Complete pull-apart and thorough cleaning (and media-blasting?) seems indicated, followed by careful inspection for corrosion so far advanced as to make sealing surfaces leaky. Lapping the cylinder can clean up the case-contact area. A cylinder hone at the very least. Those piston rings can become so stuck-on as to be impossible to remove without breaking them. Maybe a Tazland 44mm cylinder kit?

I'll check if I have a front pulley if yours won't clean up enough to be operable. Still, elbow grease, abrasives and persistence can produce remarkable results.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

think maybe id put that elite motor on the spree and get a clutch and rear cover for it and call it good.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite