Schwinn Moped, and Wireharness Layout

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Tuxedo
BMX
BMX

Schwinn Moped, and Wireharness Layout

Post by Tuxedo »

Hey guys, happy friday, hope all is well.

I was in my Physical Chemistry II class today and the guy that sits next to me said he had a schwinn scooter that he would consider selling. So, ive just got home and was pokin around on the internet and didnt really find to many great sites for their scooters. Can anyone tell me anything about them? He said it goes like 2o so im hoping that there should be some cheap modifications I could do to get it up to 27 or so it can compete with my honda spree. Has anyone ridden one of these things or know about mods for them?

Secondly I recently purchased a new wireharness for my spree(86) and when i tried to switch out the old for the new i noticed that some of connectors are not there on the new on that the old one had. There is also the possibility that there may be additional wires. With the gob of wires that connect the main harness to the instruments on the handlebars I noticed a) i would have to cut my old harness and attach the wires to use the connector. b) when diving deeper i noticed that the new harness has 2 light blue wires at that spot while my old one only had 1.... Thoughts on how i should attack this problem and get me riding would be great.... :bowrofl: Does anyone have a picture of the wireharness connections drawn out?

Thanks,
Tux ><
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Schwinn Moped, and Wireharness Layout

Post by fightingplankton »

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf
thats the manual i use.
it does look like the 84 and 85 use the same harness, 86 does have some differences.
from that pdf... you're looking for page 151

as for the schwinn...from what i understand(which isnt a whole lot) they are electric scooters(edit: just looked online, they do have a few gas ones). you may be able to "mod" it to go faster, but im pretty sure that involves buying a different engine. i think you should just put the money into your spree personally.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

if these are the kind of schwinn scooters you're talking about-
http://thekneeslider.com/images/schwinngraduate.jpg

then you should probably know it's just another chinese 50cc GY6. they're mass produced in china and sold here under many different names. the word on them isn't very positive.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

here's the link to the article from drizzles photolink
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/ ... -scooters/
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Tuxedo
BMX
BMX

Post by Tuxedo »

I would like to say for the record i feel like a moped mechanical god. My moped didnt start this fall, replaced the oil pump, got a new bbk, and redid all the electrical and it started on the first time. Im so excited to ride!!!!! :peace: Thanks to everyone for everything this website is awesome and the people make it great. Thanks again.

Talk to you all soon.

-Tux ><
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

It should be going faster than 20mph. But it would be a variated four stroke (yay, valves and oil changes). I do not know anyone that has the 50 but a friend does have a 150 (don't remember the model name but looks like a vespa/vino mix). It seems to be better build quality than most chinese bikes in the fit and finish department. There are less than 1000 miles on it though so I don't know about mechanical quality. She only rides in fair weather with it and it does well sitting in her garage. So for the serious, long term commuter I don't think it would be my choice but to just get around until I fix my spree, Yes I would buy it (assuming a reasonable price is reached).

Beings the Schwinn uses a gy6 style motor, there are many upgrades like variators, clutch, springs, carbs, pipes, BBK, cams. Some of the dio variators even work on the gy6 motor.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

This is simple. Here is how it works with chinese scooters. 95% of the scooter makers in china use the same 4 stoke engine design. Most companies buy engines from a company called Geely(crap). There is one decent engine maker in china called linghai/yamaha but shwinn does not use that engine maker. Remember Shwinn is a chinese scooter and chinese scooters suck. But the here is the rule of thumb for the speed of the scooters in general. If your so called 50cc chinese four stroke is going 20-25mph then it is a true 49cc (40-41mm piston). If your so called 50cc 4 stroke chinese scooter goes 40-45mph then it is a 70cc(47mm-48mm piston). See the 4 stroke chinese 49cc engine is guttless so the USA importers tell the chinese to make them 70cc and they still call it a 50cc to avoid EPA requirments. 49cc scooters are exempt to EPA laws and regulation. Shwinn uses a true 49cc 4 stroke engine. Your rollers might be too light for you to get to 25mph. You can get a BBK and install it on the shwinn and easily go 45mph. But then other problems will arise. Most chinese four strokes have very poor cluthes and variators and will break belts a lot if you have a 70cc BBK. I am a chinese scooter pro. yuck

Taz