84 Honda Spree rings (where can I buy)?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

griggsb
Noob
Noob

84 Honda Spree rings (where can I buy)?

Post by griggsb »

Where can I buy rings for 84 Spree? Almost 5000 miles. Cold motor tested at 75psi. Only goes about 20mph. Looks to have been never changed. Might it be possible to replace with std rings? I know i'll have to measure cylinder first, but is it possible to replace std rings on 1st rebuild (after cross hatc hone)? Thanks for any help.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 84 Honda Spree rings (where can I buy)?

Post by fightingplankton »

griggsb wrote: Might it be possible to replace with std rings?
note: if you put STD's on your bike...keep it away from mine... or at least bring rubber.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
griggsb
Noob
Noob

Post by griggsb »

Yeah, I hear ya.
boojadean
BMX
BMX

Post by boojadean »

griggsb wrote:Where can I buy rings for 84 Spree? Almost 5000 miles. Cold motor tested at 75psi. Only goes about 20mph. Looks to have been never changed. Might it be possible to replace with std rings? I know i'll have to measure cylinder first, but is it possible to replace std rings on 1st rebuild (after cross hatc hone)? Thanks for any help.
www.dgy.com shows that they have standard, .025 & .050 over rings. If the cylinder mics out okay I don't know any reason why standard rings won't work.
'85 Honda Aero
'01 Honda Reflex
'84 Honda Magna
griggsb
Noob
Noob

Post by griggsb »

Thanks for info. Is it "possible" to change rings a few times before having to bore?
boojadean
BMX
BMX

Post by boojadean »

griggsb wrote:Thanks for info. Is it "possible" to change rings a few times before having to bore?
I would say as long as the bore keeps measuring out within spec you can change rings as many times as you want, though I doubt you would ever get more than 2-3 sets in before the bore was out of spec. I would check every measurement possible each time you re-ring, including cylinder taper, ring end gap, and both the head and cylinder for warping. :imo:
'85 Honda Aero
'01 Honda Reflex
'84 Honda Magna
griggsb
Noob
Noob

Post by griggsb »

I'm going to pull head, and check. Runs for about 3 minutes before dying. You have to baby the throttle though. Just found online manual, and it said 114psi minimum. I checked mine cold though. I'm sure with almost 5K on odometer, it's past time to ring. Local shop said $60 to bore (trying to pay for $2500 tool he said LOL).