Honda Gyro

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

my63squire
Noob
Noob

Honda Gyro

Post by my63squire »

I have a low-mile (311.2 original miles) 1984 Honda Gyro NN50 (red). It is in very good original condition, but I'm sure it would not be show quality. No rips in the seat. No major damage. Maybe a few light abrasions from normal wear.

It ran good when it ran, but the carb varnished up a couple of winters ago while in storage and it needs to be replaced. It was rebuilt once already, and from what I can tell someone is offering one for the NN50 on eBay for $60 right now.

Two questions.
First, should I swap the carb out and get it running before attempting to sell it, or sell it as it sits? Obviously, running is better for a potential buyer, but I am far from a Honda mechanic.

Second Q ties in with the first - that of price. It's not currently running, but it only has the 311 miles on it. Can I expect to get $1200-$1500 for it without fooling with it? Any help is appreciated.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Gyro

Post by fightingplankton »

i have no valuable input
Last edited by fightingplankton on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

$1200-1500 for a local sale? Highly doubtful. $800? Probably. $1200-1500 on E-bay? Maybe.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
tucker
BMX
BMX

Post by tucker »

Sold mine last August for $850. It was totally rebuilt, in great shape, new tires and running at its prime. Local is probably your best bet as shipping costs really bump the price. I used CL as any enthusiast will doing a Google anyway. A non enthusiast may be very skeptical if they do not have the skills, time , knowledge to ressurect a non running machine. Most people want to buy and ride pronto. It is a unique piece and there are buyers out there, just not many.
Attachments
gryo for sale small.jpg
gryo for sale small.jpg (213.46 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

Someone claimed that the 84-85 S model is classified and titled as a motorcycle and not a moped. I'm guessing the other models are still classified as mopeds.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I think your expectations are too high.

I recently saw one on Ebay that had like 3 original miles (yes 3)and that one went somewhere in that price range if I remember correctly. But indeed it did look like it just rolled off of the showroom floor.

Location is also key and remember that the economy is rough right now too. I'm guessing it'll fetch somewhere in the $800 range for a nice running specimen.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I'd love to have one, but you can't find them in TX in great shape (at least I haven't).
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Saved wrote:Someone claimed that the 84-85 S model is classified and titled as a motorcycle and not a moped. I'm guessing the other models are still classified as mopeds.
The Gyro (nn50) is 84. The Gyro S (tg50) is 85 & 86. it varies by state but they can all generally be titled as a moped (depending on how the registration lady is feeling that day). My Gyro S was titled as a motorcycle because when it was made, Iowa's law was moped=25mph or less. Now it is moped=30mph or less so I just signed some paperwork saying it only went 29mph and got it titled as a moped. I would title it as a moped if you can, I know the only reason I was able to buy mine is because the buy who was there with the money ahead of me didn't have a motorcycle endorsement on his license so he decided not to buy the Gyro S.
:b2t: Get it running! I can't say I know every market but from my own experience: a Gyro is just a toy to the mechanically inclined two-wheel rider but it is transportation and freedom to those who are afraid of two wheels and those same people tend to be afraid of buying non-running units. So, a running Gyro opens up a much larger market for your sale. go ahead and start out at $1200, with good marketing, who knows...If you don't have to sell right now, You can gradually decrease the asking price or give your self a larger bartering cusion.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

my63squire wrote:It ran good when it ran, but the carb varnished up a couple of winters ago while in storage and it needs to be replaced. It was rebuilt once already, and from what I can tell someone is offering one for the NN50 on eBay for $60 right now.
A varnished carb need not be replaced. In the hands of a good carb mechanic, it can be put back in service.

Where are you? Location does matter, and I am in search of one... but location does matter.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

I'd definitely get it running before selling it - otherwise a deep discount is typical.

Its so sad that they put those ugly flasher brackets on the US models. Image
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Lunytune wrote:Where are you? Location does matter, and I am in search of one... but location does matter.
Agreed. If you are near one of us, i'm sure we would love to help you get it running...and then buy it.

What is your location?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
my63squire
Noob
Noob

Post by my63squire »

We are in Hazel, KY 42049
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

my63squire wrote:We are in Hazel, KY 42049
Bummer, I'm out. That is 496.92 miles from me.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

my63squire wrote:We are in Hazel, KY 42049
It's within range for me. Little doubt I'm closer than anybody else in the forum, probably the only one close enough for consideration. I got your pictures and second email headed your way.

But Clivester is right, if it ain't running, expect to make a deep discount. There are too many uncertainties and potential surprises. Carburetor is least of my worries. Compression and powerplant integrity are the more important issues. And I've yet to buy a scooter that didn't need tires and battery.

But I am interested if we can negotiate.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes