Spree Tires

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

lilbandit
Noob
Noob

Spree Tires

Post by lilbandit »

Hi I just recently aquired a 1986 Spree (freakin love it) and am looking to purchase a set of upgraded tires. Any feedback on what has been liked or disliked would be great
Keep them out of the crusher, hold a wrench and keep mechanical history/art on the road.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree Tires

Post by fightingplankton »

dislikes: overpriced p.o.s'.

i have cheng shin highways on mine. my girlfriend has kenda's.
if you've got the money get dunlops or a better known brand name...but i'm fine w/ what ive got.
no problems yet and ive been riding every day for almost a year across very craggy roads(we need to get them repaved)
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i don't think your going to notice any difference in tires, so i always get whats cheap

better tires on your car:
better traction (not going to make a difference on spree)
quieter (its too loud when riding a spree to notice)
better ride quality (not going to make a difference on a spree thats so bumpy)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I have a set of 2.75 X10 tires and tubes setting ext to my desk ready to go on to the Spree next week. The oversized tires will increase your top speed slightly. Brand wise, buy cheap as you just ain't going that fast.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

I used Kenda on my Trek for the longest time. I'd be happy if I could buy them for my scoot.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Any tire I've tried works well for the spree. The only time I've found it makes a difference is if you ride in the rain or install knobbies.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
lilbandit
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbandit »

I appreciate all the feedback. I am currently running a Dunlop K398 2.5x10 in the front and a Kenda K313 in the rear both are dry cracked and need replacing.
I recently put a set of Kenda K313's on a spree I restored for a friend and they are decent. Can I run a 3x10 tire on these rims or a 3.50?
I understand everyone's take on the cheaper the better however I do strongly believe that some benefits to other treads exist.
I am thinking maybe the Kenda K324's or K329's all the way around or the 413 in the rear and the 329 in the front.
And don't worry I understand that I may be way over thinking this as I have recently just become absolutely addicted to sprees and just want to do any mod/upgrade possible. Like really addicted. Might have a problem.

http://www.kendausa.com/motorcycle/scooter.html
Keep them out of the crusher, hold a wrench and keep mechanical history/art on the road.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I might interject some comments on tires, not looking to start a fight.

Buying as cheap as you can does not take into consideration safety, handling and ride comfort. Even on a bicycle, tires can make a terrific difference on whether you slide in a turn or are keeping the rubber side down.

Weather checked, Yeah they have to go.

When you get them make sure of the date code on the tire. Reject it if it is more than two years old.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
lilbandit
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbandit »

Ok after doing some research I am thinking a 2.75x10 is my max in the front and 3.00x10 is the rear max with some slight modifications. I am thinking 2.75 front and rear is my best bet. Can anyone verify this?
If so I will go with the Kenda K329's

Thanks again for all your help!
makadangdang
Noob
Noob

Post by makadangdang »

the only thing that might limit your front tire size is either the fork or the fender. if the tire is too big it might rub the fender when you use your front brakes or if you hit a huge bump. i think 2.75 in the front and 3.0 in the back is good, thats whats on my aero and i havnt had any problems. i heard that the biggest tore you can use on the front for a spree is 80/90 but i could be wrong.

also budgeting when buying tires might not be the best idea depending on how you ride. i personally like to bang turns as hard a possible so i like to use eithe michellin S1 or pirelli's. but if you just cruise around and go easy when cornering the kenda's will be fine
lilbandit
Noob
Noob

Post by lilbandit »

Yeah I am willing to spend some extra coin as I want to be able to lean into those corners a little bit. I am noticing there a many tubeless option out there which seems like the best bet. Can I got tubeless on a stock 2.5-10 rim? If not what rim do I need and where can I find it?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

elitedio wrote:I might interject some comments on tires, not looking to start a fight.

Buying as cheap as you can does not take into consideration safety, handling and ride comfort. Even on a bicycle, tires can make a terrific difference on whether you slide in a turn or are keeping the rubber side down.

Weather checked, Yeah they have to go.

When you get them make sure of the date code on the tire. Reject it if it is more than two years old.
My Spree maxes out at 27 mph. I rode bicycles faster than that in my youth. These thing are not a 140 mph cruiser like my Police Interceptor is and premium high speed rated tires aren't gonna do anything for you except dent your wallet more. These things are not crotch rockets by anybodies standards.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

lilbandit wrote:Yeah I am willing to spend some extra coin as I want to be able to lean into those corners a little bit.
That is what I do too...lean until she kisses. The only time it has slid out on my $18 tire is when I transferred too hard and had all the weight on the belt cover, lifting the tire off the ground.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

when i had my spree, i leaned it over in a corner and there was a small bump, nothing even big, and it scraped.
long story short, sprees really arent for leaning over in turns unless you are going to do alot to stiffen up the suspenstion and remove centerstand.

and about kenda tires on bicycles, dont do it. soma everwears are the only tires that will ever adorn my bicycles.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

i putta tubless 80/90-10 on my spree. i'm gettin a good 5 mph added speed outta mine. got my tire from drag specialties via a local shop for 25 bucks. great tire so far.

as far as front tire..im not 100 percent positive, BUT, chaning its size will throw your speedo off. Stick with exact size for front tire IF you want speedo to work properly, if not..* with it then.

tubeless IS possible, BUT, there are some safety precautions, seeing as the spree rims are not designed to hold the tire bead with just air pressure. thats where the tube comes into play and holds tire against rim rather than just air pressure itself..
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)