Do you wear gear?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Do you wear gear?

Post by eliteguy50 »

Do you wear protective gear other than a helmet? Something like a leather jacket or one of those new fangled mesh jackets with built in kevlar pads, maybe even a Tech Vest.

Edit: I mean while you are riding a motorized scooter.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Do you wear gear?

Post by bakaracer »

i wear some teknic shorty street gloves that has the plastic knuckle savers.

http://www.teknicgear.com/smt-glove/
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i wear full leathers including assless chapps

i dont' wear any protective gear other than a helmet, but i probably should. Going down on the scooter wouldn't feel very good without any leather
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

PimpinSpree wrote:I don't wear any protective gear other than a helmet, but i probably should. Going down on the scooter wouldn't feel very good without any leather
I agree, but I've been road rashed before and it has always healed.

But the true biker's motto is:

"Pain is temporary (Well, not really),

Bones heal,

Chicks dig scars,

Glory is forever!"
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Not really.

Unless I am at the dragstrip. They require gloves and jacket.

Oh and a helmet too.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Dude383
BMX
BMX

Post by Dude383 »

I've ridden motorcycles in city trafic before with no helmet (no helmet laws in MN) and felt fine. After the first day of riding around town on a Spree with no helmet, and being the target of EVERYTHING else on the road (even pedestrians)... I alway wear a helmet... but no other protecive gear.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

True biker's motto? Sounds like a harley saying, road rash and scars are no fun :P

Like most (it seems) I should wear more, but don't. Full face helmet, gloves (usually just mx style gloves, but sometimes my kevlar'd upper grade ones), and shoes. I admittedly ride in shorts most of the time, went down about a month ago and my knees regretted those shorts :P
When I get my leather suit for my streetbike I plan on riding around on my moped suited up, just for fun.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

thats what me and a couple of guys use to do back when everyone use to cruise waikiki back in the early 90's.then go up to tantalus and drag knee around those turns up there.that avatar is me at hawaii raceways park in 93 during a race break wheelie exhibition.this was when I raced big bikes.I brought out the ped while some of the other guys wheelied there big bikes.was just for laughs.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I wear a helmet (even though it isn't required in NH) and pants, usually long sleaves but no jacket. Road rash hurts, and flesh wounds do heal, but brain injuries last forever. My brother in law has a brain injury from a bike (with pedals) accident, and he even had a bike helmet on so I wear my DOT brain bucket and hope it is enough.
Ralph
Noob
Noob

Post by Ralph »

I don't know much about the Spree, but it seems like it pretty much goes at bicycle speeds or marginally higher, right? 30 mph or less? I probably wouldn't wear gear other than a helmet on it--I don't wear gear on my bicycle, either.

On my motorcycle I do think I will start wearing protective gear. I haven't in the 3 years I've owned it but it seems like a smart failsafe. I always wear a motorcycle helmet though (except when I'm moving my bike a few feet here and there--for actual riding though, always the helmet at least). I often wear over-the-ankle boots, and I definitely plan on getting armored gloves and a textile jacket with something for spine and joint protection.

I'm sorry you're BOL got a brain injury, Fishman. Bicycle helmets are really not lifesaving devices--it's surprising how many people think the flimsy 2-ounce styrofoam can save your life, when really they're meant to protect against *minor* injuries (there is pretty much no hard evidence that helmeted bicyclists are safer or any better off than bareheaded). If one holds a bicycle helmet in their hand, they can plainly tell that it's not a magic shield some cyclists and non-cyclists seem to think it is. It's just a lightweight piece of styrofoam under a 1mm plastic shell, and most of them these days are *full* of holes for ventilation.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I am an idiot. Most of the time, I cruise around town in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. Don't be like me.
Bandit240
Spree
Spree

Post by Bandit240 »

Riding the Spree around, most of the time i just wear whatever ive got on and my helmet, maybe. On the Elite 150, well thats always a helmet, boots, jeans and my good old bomber jacket. That jacket has saved my skin a few times.

Buddy of mine just wrecked his Aero 125 this week with no helmet or gear at all. Had on nice slacks and a dress shirt(works at a bank). Lucky dumbass didnt get any head injuries, but did break his elbow and ankle.
1986 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
1991 Yamaha XT600
1993 Honda Elite 80
2001 Honda Elite 50
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

just a denim jacket, some fancy-shmancy kevlar reinforced gloves, and always a helmet.
ItchyKneeSon
BMX
BMX

Post by ItchyKneeSon »

Here in the mountains of rural Japan, the main road, the 151, has a speed limit of 50kph. So, people go 55-65kph on a regular basis. Bikes that are 50cc and lower are limited to 30kph by law. On the narrow (semai/ÒüøÒü¥Òüä) roads, it's pretty scary. I wear a full-face helmet (from Korea :/) and street clothes. Not to sound haughty, but I'm much more careful and observant than your average driver and hope that I won't have to experience a spill. BUT accidents happen to the best of us.

If you're questioning the safety of your observance of traffic and other elements on the road, have a look at the 5 Seeing Habits (A.G.K.L.M) video here> http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Video/ci.F ... bits.Video and the 10-Point Commentary (below). As a UPS Saturday Air driver for about 4 years, I've avoided plenty of potential accident situations by exercising these habits daily. Another favorite UPS supervisor quote is, "Prepare for the unexpected."

Ex) Worker: Boss, that box had a dog in it and the box jumped from the wall, hit me on the head, and now I need stitches. I'm going to file a lawsuit.
Supervisor: Nope, sorry. You didn't prepare for the unexpected. You're at fault.
:P

10-pt comm:
1. Stopped in Traffic - leave 1 car length in front of vehicle, apply parking brake
2. Start up at intersections - Look L,R,L & check mirrors
3. Count "1,2,3" (after car ahead begins to move. then begin accel.)- creates space cushion, check mirrors
4. Pulling from curb - left blinker, check mirror, look left, watch tail swing (n/a)
5. Following distance - 4-6sec under 30 mph, 6-8sec over 30 mph
6. Eye lead time - 8-12 seconds (Look at traffic ahead of you 8-12sec in advance)
7. Scan steering wheels (of parked cars for drivers that may not see you) - look for occupied vehicles, use horn
8. Make eye contact (with other drivers in your path) - use horn, lights, signals (to get their attention)
9. Use mirrors - Check side mirrors every 5-8 seconds, rear-view every 8-10
10. Stale green lights - Pick a decision point to safely stop or proceed (if the light turns green) ***Check pedestrian 'walk/don't walk' signs. If they are flashing 'don't walk', the light is about to change from green to yellow.

:werd:
Chad
Saved
Spree
Spree

Post by Saved »

I always wear a leather jacket and goggles. Depending on where I'm going, I'll wear my helmet.
In the barn::
2001 Honda Elite
2002 Yamaha Vino
2007 Roketa Sicily
2006 Ninja 250

Special thanks to:
Workdog & Iggysepia for parts & quick shipping.
Evilone for buying my SA50P.