84 spree help

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

john
Goped
Goped

84 spree help

Post by john »

been giving me problems(spark issues) when cruising at full throttle it will suddenly act as if it has lost spark and gas and then * forward...it is not a carb
problem, I have thoroughly cleaned it myself.

any suggestions would help
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Re: 84 spree help

Post by Videonut »

check
1. petcock
2. airfilter
3. spark plug sould be chocolate brown on tip
4. check wireing to coil and from coil to plug
5. belt
6. clutch rollers could be binding
7. bad gas
8 any more guys?? im sure there are lots more.....
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
john
Goped
Goped

Post by john »

yea after i cleaned the carb that what i was guessing well at least spark, so either the spark coil cord. are the after market wire for spark any good ? they claim to run hotter spark .
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

If you really think weak spark is the issue, try runing an extra ground wire from the frame of the scooter to the engine case.

do you have a battery? I assume you do becase it is an '84
Check your plug gap too.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree check plug gap, a while back everyone was talking about the plug gap for spree an I tried the recomended 0.25 gap instead of the 0.28 in the manual and happy bike! I also popped in the BPR8HS instead of the BPR6HS and also much happier scooter. My spree is bone stock 84. I just thought of somthing else to check, make shure you have enough oil in the oil tank. And use good quality oil, I changed to ipone injector oil and it was a whole different machine at full throttle.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

yah sounds like spark issue from what your saying (SUdden * and away you go again) Ignition Misses are typically very violent (* N such)

as far as the aftermarket coil, dotn waste your time. Just find a stock replacement, lots of the guys on here have one they'd sell i'm sure. Check with martynkim, or Traffic Jamz or SKEETER2. he's parting a scooter now as well.

Try a new plug if nuttin else. and as far as your coil, does it do it consistently at all?! like as in, only after bike is warm, or When its damp out? Coil could be cracked internally, or externally (doesnt mean youll see the crack). Heat would make it expand, and loose contact briefly? Moisture could make it do the same..although you said its while riding..so assumingly, by that time moisture should be gone?....

Something else to maybe look at would be your pickup sensor down on the alternator (generator?) See if its loose maybe? or check all the wiring. Maybe a wire is rubbing through somehwere? anythings possible really. (once had a chainsaw givin to me that had the kill switch wire rubbing through and grounding out..thus, not letting coil do its job..

Lots of thigns to look at john, start with easiest, swap a plug in er, and see what happens. Then start checkin stufffffff!!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Sounds more like a soft seize to me and one of these times I won't be so soft.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
john
Goped
Goped

Post by john »

what exactly is a soft sieze ? the motor was just rebuilt with replacement stock piston and has less than 5 miles on it
john
Goped
Goped

Post by john »

Everything is stock, I replaced the old rear brake line, anmd the automatic choke with a NOS one, I replaced piston & rings, and rebored the cylinder(it has about 2 miles on new cylinder). over all the thing is great starts everytime no problem....it just chokes out on me when im crusing full throttle...as if it is fludding itself....i personally believe it spark.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

you did do the break in right? i mean you didnt just hone and replace piston and rings then hit the road wot did you? if so this might be something to do with it.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

You need proper break in. You're gonna kill your new piston with WOT so soon.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Take it easy you are soft seizing :sad: You will destroy that motor in nothing flat. follow break-in procedures :wink:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

john wrote:what exactly is a soft sieze ? the motor was just rebuilt with replacement stock piston and has less than 5 miles on it
A soft seize is when the piston starts to or actually does stick in the cylinder, but does nor melt the piston. I once knew a guy who modded his 175 hp outboard to over 200 hp. The first time out the engine quit twice at WOT, but after a minute or two fired back up and ran OK. Next time out it did it 3 times and he just couldn't figure out what was wrong. If he had pulled a plug after the engine quit he, would have seen it was very lean. Just to prove the old saying " you can fix stupid" he took it out again with no changes and on the third seize, it wasn't a soft seize. He took out 2 cylinders and the plugs in the other 4 cylinders showed just how lean the motor was.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree