California registration process

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Re: California registration process

Post by sipaboy »

sipaboy wrote:
capturedbyrobots wrote:
sipaboy wrote:When the mopedheads send their reg230 forms . They sure have a whole bunch of different brands of mopeds. They come from countries like India, Austria,Italy,Japan. Slovenia and others. Not sure if all those are USA sold or distributed mopeds but they still get the plates. I even got one before for an electric scooter.Took 2 months. Well I keep a copy of what I sent and even the copy of the check. Wish me luck.
But they are "mopeds", yours is not.
It's like registering an 18 wheeler as a car.
Apples and oranges.
I have thought of a way around this for awhile,
and the only way I figured out how to add "operative pedals"
was very time consuming, and very destructive
to the original look.
I'm in El Cerrito, where in the Bay area are you?
Union City here. Hoping it goes well and at least have plates in a few. Doesn't go fast enough over 27mph.
If I went to the CHP route would the CHP be the one to decide it's uregisterable? I have the app for title form. the other side is where the CHP fills up the info.So is the CHP verifying the the VIN or DMV makin the decision not to register it?
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

DaRobot Mon sez:

I'm in El Cerrito

The El Cerrito DMV earned my "Worst DMV Office Award Of 2009". When we relocated back from Worshdun Snake, the quislings in that * hole put me through a painful, expensive process fraught with inaccuracies and extra fees. Among their f**kups: ASSuming my olde MG was a snowmobile. :surprise:

Generally speaking, I have better luck at the Corte Madera office, though, my luck improves noticeably the farther I stay away from ANY DMV office. :geekdance:

Capt Dan>
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

CaptDan wrote:DaRobot Mon sez:

I'm in El Cerrito

The El Cerrito DMV earned my "Worst DMV Office Award Of 2009". When we relocated back from Worshdun Snake, the quislings in that * hole put me through a painful, expensive process fraught with inaccuracies and extra fees. Among their f**kups: ASSuming my olde MG was a snowmobile. :surprise:

Generally speaking, I have better luck at the Corte Madera office, though, my luck improves noticeably the farther I stay away from ANY DMV office. :geekdance:
Are you talking about inspection or registration with a Japanese import scooter? Or you just compalining about the DMV?
Capt Dan>
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

Post by capturedbyrobots »

CaptDan wrote:DaRobot Mon sez:

I'm in El Cerrito

Capt Dan>
Yep, pretty bad here. I'm a transplant from SF, living here about 2 years.
I liked the Oakland Claremont DMV (as much as you can "like" a DMV, they were great for my M1 test.
Last time I went to the El Cerrito DMV,
this girl at the counter kept flirting with me, she looked like a gang banger....
she had a neck tattoo and those really long fingernails...like too long...
It did make the time pass pretty quickly though. :naughty:

I just gave up dealing with the CA DMV if at all possible.
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

SB,
I just found someone selling a US model locally for cheap (East bay)
Never been in the CA DMV system.
Maybe you can swap the parts off the Japanese frame to the american frame,
and have parts for spares....
PM me for info.....
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

He said it came from the east coast,no title,not compatible with the canopy. Moped plates for now. I do have th CHP appt sept 2nd. Like my previous question was who will decide it's unregisterable. The CHP inspection or the DMV clerk doing the paperwork?
vette66_00
Spree
Spree

Post by vette66_00 »

Im pretty sure the CHP only looks at the vin and verifies what you have put down on the paper work, they also do the safety inspection ie horn, lights, blinkers...ect. The DMV is the one the determines if its legal or not.
89 Honda Elite E 48cc bbk and gears all broken in... I get to 35 mph (gps) full out and Im 240 lbs. Need more speed

My toy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgZXLUy25U
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

you think its worth a try.?
vette66_00
Spree
Spree

Post by vette66_00 »

If you have the time go try it. Worst they can say is no. Then you will have to find a US frame.
There are ways to use the vin and not change the frame out...It is totally not legal and its only a hypothetical scenario. I will not discuss that here but if you want more info you can PM me.
89 Honda Elite E 48cc bbk and gears all broken in... I get to 35 mph (gps) full out and Im 240 lbs. Need more speed

My toy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgZXLUy25U
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

this girl at the counter kept flirting with me, she looked like a gang banger....

Funny you should mention that. There was a coven of nasty witches on duty when I was being processed. As I waited my turn to be drubbed and scrubbed, it felt as though I was in somebody's idea of a bad dream. :lol: Can't say any of those women flirted with me, though - I'm a bit over the hill for their tastes, I'm sure. :nerd:

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread from the dude looking for some serious DMV help with his offshore vehicle. :naughty:

Capt Dan>
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

you just compalining about the DMV?

Just complaining about a particular DMV office.

Here's the deal:

If you go in with your paperwork in order, your back straight, checkbook filled, courtesy skills honed, story together, and confidence high, there's a good chance things will go well for you. However, there's always the possibility - they won't.

When it comes to the DMV - yez buys yer tickets - yez takes yer chances.
:jack:

YMMV.

CaptDan>
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

CaptDan wrote:you just compalining about the DMV?

Just complaining about a particular DMV office.

Here's the deal:

If you go in with your paperwork in order, your back straight, checkbook filled, courtesy skills honed, story together, and confidence high, there's a good chance things will go well for you. However, there's always the possibility - they won't.

When it comes to the DMV - yez buys yer tickets - yez takes yer chances.
:jack:

YMMV.

Promise to be polite. YES SIR and YES MA'M just for a title for my Canopy. Can I email someone the pic and post it here.

CaptDan>
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Can I email someone the pic and post it here.

Why not just post it as an attachment?

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen - 'Filename' {browse} - etc.

CaptDan>
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

Called Progressive and told them I sent an app for moped plates and title and wanted to get insurance while I was waitting for the title.,they still insured it for $70 a year liability only. They ask me what model moped and acted dumb like I am not sure. She started telling me different names that falls under moped/scooter and she mentioned Gyro and I said thats the one. Printed a temporary proof of ins. and the copy of reg dmv form 230 with the photo of the check sent too. Hoping thats enough paperwork to carry around till I get everything straightened out.This thing is good on gas but can use more top speed.[27mph]
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

sipaboy wrote:Called Progressive and told them I sent an app for moped plates and title and wanted to get insurance while I was waitting for the title.,they still insured it for $70 a year liability only. They ask me what model moped and acted dumb like I am not sure. She started telling me different names that falls under moped/scooter and she mentioned Gyro and I said thats the one. Printed a temporary proof of ins. and the copy of reg dmv form 230 with the photo of the check sent too. Hoping thats enough paperwork to carry around till I get everything straightened out.This thing is good on gas but can use more top speed.[27mph]
Well, if you can make it work, you're gonna be golden.
But jeez...27mph? My goped goes faster than that...

I would first off drop the cylinder's squish and use sealant for gaskets (more compression)
a larger carb, and a tuned pipe. Porting can only help too.
Larger tires should help too.
With that stuff and proper jetting, you could easily squeeze 5-7mph more out of it, if not more.

Does it have a CVT or the 2 speed clutching like Gyros?
If it has a CVT, there's a lot of tricks to do there for more speed.