I thought I would share my recent CL finds.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dogmir
Goped
Goped

I thought I would share my recent CL finds.

Post by dogmir »

So the legacy starts two weeks ago. I found an 85 Aero on craigslist for $50 with title. They called it a mechanics special, but stated it ran. I went a picked it up and got this long story about how her son bought it and tore up the neighbors yard so she is selling it. Then here other son even pointed out it has a new exhaust. I giggled but didn't really respond as it had no exhaust but for $50 I wasn't complaining. Plastics were in great shape but it was missing a few things. Rear signals were busted up and in many pieces, no exhaust, the airbox cover was gone, the lens on the speedo was trashed. All in all I was very pleased. The one thing that did bum me out was no kickstart. So I set forth cleaning it up and trying to get it running solid. The carb was toast completely stripped in many places and held on by one screw. So it is now re-tapped with some beefy 8mm hex head machine screws. It makes it look pretty mean lol. Everything was coming along nicely but I was waiting for a few parts to come in. Then I struck paydirt again. A 86 Aero on craigslist with no title for $75 that was supposed to be a good runner. So last night I went pick that up. After a 250 mile round trip I still found time to drop the old engine last night at 9:00 and bolt up the new one. I am excited as I now have the kickstart I pined for and I have the 4 bolt manifold version that everyone prefers. The added bonus is I get a few little odds and ends that would nickle and dime me for cheap. All in all a good couple weeks. So now the fun begins the wife is busy all day so I get unadulterated garage time with out the guilt trip, so I am off to offer up alot of tlc to make this chimera a beast. I will post some pics as the day goes on.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: I thought I would share my recent CL finds.

Post by toboggan »

Nice find!
What all do you want to do to it?

BBK?
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Sounds like a good score,well two actually.Once you get the nice one sorted out you can fix up the other so the two of you can ride.Good luck.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
dogmir
Goped
Goped

Post by dogmir »

Well update....Swap finished all hooked up etc. Now I get spark, I have about 90 to 92 psi compression. Will fire for a second if I spray carb cleaner before I put the plug in it will give a good roar for about 3 seconds and quit. Won't start again. I pulled the carb off made sure that it was good and clean. No luck. I seem to be getting plenty of fuel from the petcock. I have the airbox on. The coil test fine for resistance, so does the by-starter. I am scratching my head. It has the correct plug with the correct gap but still will not fire up. Does anyone have any thoughts...I have checked everything I can thing to check. I have the stock jets in it also. I guess I will work on the body being prepped for paint till somebody has any suggestions. Thanks a million in advance!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

dogmir wrote:Well update....Swap finished all hooked up etc. Now I get spark, I have about 90 to 92 psi compression. Will fire for a second if I spray carb cleaner before I put the plug in it will give a good roar for about 3 seconds and quit. Won't start again. I pulled the carb off made sure that it was good and clean. No luck. I seem to be getting plenty of fuel from the petcock. I have the airbox on. The coil test fine for resistance, so does the by-starter. I am scratching my head. It has the correct plug with the correct gap but still will not fire up. Does anyone have any thoughts...I have checked everything I can thing to check. I have the stock jets in it also. I guess I will work on the body being prepped for paint till somebody has any suggestions. Thanks a million in advance!
Well you have at least 1 if not 3 issues.

First, your compression is too low. Spec is 171 to 114 PSI.

Second, using carb cleaner as a startering fluid is washing the cylinder walls clean of oil which gives you metal on metal, AKA a bad thing. Only use a mix of gas and oil (32 to 1) for priming.

Clean the carb, again. Just because fuel is in the fuel line to the carb, does not mean there is fuel in the carb or getting thru the carb into the engine. Which it obviously is not.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
dogmir
Goped
Goped

Post by dogmir »

Thanks for the info Bear. I tried yet another carb cleaning I am on number four. Still not firing. It is getting gas into the cylinder cause the plug will come out wet after I try to start it. The head scratching continues...
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

dogmir wrote:Thanks for the info Bear. I tried yet another carb cleaning I am on number four. Still not firing. It is getting gas into the cylinder cause the plug will come out wet after I try to start it. The head scratching continues...
With your compression low it may be very difficult to get it to start. I recommend a NEW spark plug as your best hope. However it may take a top end rebuild to make it run. What is the compression on the other motor?

Another thought just struck me. Are you sure you have the throttle valve in correctly. If it is not clear down in the carb, the motor may not start. These things start, when cold, with no throttle applied what so ever.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
dogmir
Goped
Goped

Post by dogmir »

It is 90 as well. I do want to add a 65cc bbk so I guess that is coming quicker than I thought.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

put a dab of oil in the spark plug hole then then take a compression reading. if it is higher then you need new rings and a hone on the bore. 114 is the minimum
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
dogmir
Goped
Goped

Post by dogmir »

The wet test revealed quite a bit.....it was a hair over 130. It looks as though the bbk cometh!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You've received good advice. Polini Contesta will give a nice upgrade over stock power. Plan on running at least a #88 during break-in, better a 90.
Prodigious Polini Power is best utilized with a Ruckus variator, the biggest rear tire you can fit back there (a 3.50 from some brands...) and great throttle discretion above 48 MPH.

If you plan to go faster for long, consider sourcing Malossi 67-6458 gears (a too-tall 7.83:1 ratio) or the 10:1s from a 1987 SE50 Elite S model. The latter are still a tad short, but with the larger vario and Big Rear Tar, you might get away with holding WOT.

Strongly recommend both a Tach and a CHT gauge, conveniently packaged together in the TrailTech Vapor.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH