Uncle! I may have had enough!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Accolay
Goped
Goped

Uncle! I may have had enough!

Post by Accolay »

So, I haven't been here for a while. I put my motorcycle back together and got it running. Starting the Civic timing belt replacement learning curve and am still mulling about other projects. Then there's the scooter project.

I've been trying to downsize and get rid of all my junk in the last few months: home junk, extra parts, girl friend etc. And it just so happens that these scoots are just sitting there. They are a constant reminder of how much time I don't have.

What kind of advice can you guys give me? Should I keep them as a winter project or should I just get rid of them? When do you call it quits? Never surrender?!? Of course, maybe not get the dumpiest scooter project in the first place would be a hind-sight moment...

Here are the pictures of the rats. I have new tires on the first, new wheel bearings, and lots of other misc stuff I put on there. I'll have to swap the second engine to the first since the first's crank is crap.
carp
Spree
Spree

Re: Uncle! I may have had enough!

Post by carp »

Are those studs on the rear of the first one?Maybe you could start a scooter ice racing league.I quess then the saying would be "keep the stud side down".Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Accolay
Goped
Goped

Post by Accolay »

Those tires were pretty cool, however they were the first to go since the screws also caused flats in both the front and rear tubes.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I would just sell them. Possibly even part them out. Then with the money you get from that get a project scooter that is a better candidate for restoration.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Swapping those cranks is a bad idea. You will not have a vari if you put that sb50p crank into the variated elite.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

those are way beyond projects= dump them!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi Accolay :hi:
Check out Accolay's build thread, he fixed rather than bought his way out of many a problem. http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 16&t=10827 Only guy I know who tore apart and rebuilt his ign switch - (will get that moved to the Wiki)...., I think if you can steal a even a weekend to execute what you planned for looks, you will have a better answer to the "uncle" question and more $$ in your pocket if you sell. thumbwink: Good luck with your other projects too!
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Go ahead build those elite e's up. Wait to you see my honda pal rebuild. It looked worse than those two scooters. I almost done. And I got pics of my restore.

Taz
Accolay
Goped
Goped

Post by Accolay »

Thanks for the response gents. I'm leaning towards finding a new engine and swapping.

The second scoot, as eliteguy50 mentioned, is not the same- so that scoot is basically the new (in 1988) Spree with Spree engine yes? (from http://www.motorscooterguide.net/page1/page1.html)

But, I can use an SA50 engine too yes? They're the same right? AF05E?

Thanks
Accolay
Goped
Goped

Post by Accolay »

AF05E engine should be the same from all of these years and models:

1987 SE50P (Elite)
1988-1993 SA50 (Elite SR/LX)
1985-1987 NB50 (Aero 50)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I guess I can still buy that side of the crank from Honda for about 75$...
Thanks