Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dante
Noob
Noob

Re: Official NS50F thread

Post by Dante »

motormike wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am
Dante wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:25 pm
motormike wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 pmAnswer is simply, "No", parts are scarce and expensive for NS50F in United States.
Bike was imported for only one year, and production number remains a mystery, but is very limited.
What a shame... would you recommend me an NS50F as a first bike? I will buy an restored one back to new, so it shouldn't have problems. :nervous:
The NS50F is very nimble, easy to ride, but does require the rider/owner to have good understanding of two-stroke engines and the nature of their operation. While the bike will make 60 miles per hour with a load of 200 pounds, it does require working through the gears efficiently to obtain optimum performance. NOT designed to accept passengers...rider only. I say yes, buy it and enjoy much fun.
Thanks for your help. I will keep in touch with this forum, maybe I have to ask more questions. :naughty:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I've spent the better part of a year trying to find a set of used original NS50F turn signals with no luck so last week, I gave up and ordered a set of reproduction 83-84 Honda XL200R turns signals from this vendor in Taiwan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rear-Turn-S ... 2749.l2649

The rear turn signals for the XL200R are very similar to the rear turn signals for the NS50F, except that the base of the rubber XL200R stalk is round instead of square. The front turn signals on the XL200R are not mounted on stalks, rather just the light unit is used. see:

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... urn-signal

When I look at the parts diagram for the NS50F, it looks to me that the front NS50F signals should have slightly longer stalks again with square bases than the rear signals. See:

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... urn-signal

In any event, I ordered two sets of rear XL200R reproduction turn signals, and mounted them front and rear on my NS50F. They almost look factory stock, and that is about the best I can do, given that the real things are unobtainium.

They arrived yesterday so I installed them today. Here is how they look mounted on my NS50F:

If you skip back to page 54 in this topic, you can see what my NS50F looked like before today. If anyone wants the old signals, they are still in good working condition. PM me with your snail mail address and I'll mail them to you for free with free shipping:

This is the current status of my Honda motorcycle fleet:

motormike

Post by motormike »

I like those Vaughn...may I have them ?...pm sent.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mm.. yes.. in the mail to you tomorrow..
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mm just sent you a PM with the tracking number..mailed today
BLSully
Noob
Noob

Post by BLSully »

Hi all,

New NS50 owner. I obtained it from a riding buddy who's trying to downsize his collection a bit due to age. It hasn't been ridden regularly in about 5 years, but fired up immediately with new gas when I brought it home. SUCH a fun little machine. Only ridden it about 3 miles but I can tell it's going to be an absolute hoot to run around on. Seems like it'll easily do 60, so will even make a good commuter for me (country roads with 55mph speed limits). It has about 200 miles on a completely OE top end so hopefully that'll last a good long time... it seems like the OE parts have basically dried up for this model which is unfortunate.

This joins my 1973 Kawasaki G3SS (850 miles, purchased from original owner's estate) and 1973 MZ TS250 (1038 miles, purchased from same estate). The G3 is basically showroom, with just the typical japanese frame paint issues. The MZ is a bit rougher, but won't take much to get running. I've had it about 2 years but only recently started working on it.

Glad to be here, and happy to listen to any tips you all have about this particular model.

Last edited by BLSully on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

That is a nice one, better than mine. It looks very clean and seems to have the correct mirrors and turn signals, all very rare. If the rubber part of the right rear signal is broken as it appears, a close-up photo would be helpful. If it is broken, you may be able to repair it.. don't give up as those signals are tough to find. You might be able to hide a washer on either side of the break and connect the washers with two hidden sheet metal screws. It is hard to explain, but if you study it, you might see what I mean. If it is not broken, please ignore my comments.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello and welcome BLSully... :hi:
I can't see the image...??
I am open to buying another NS50, should one be presented.
Sold my last one when it started hurting my back and rump to ride it.
I have decided that is not enough to prevent me from having another.
You are right...fun factor is through the roof.
Glad to have you join us here with your new-found excitement.
Your other bikes sound cool as well, but let's be honest, MZ has never won awards for beauty...lol.
Let us know where you are located sir....mm... :urban:
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The image disappeared.. I saw it there yesterday.. It is a very clean looking NS50F, with, I think, a factory lower shroud, but not a windshield, or tachometer. The paint and decals looked perfect, and I couldn't see any scratches or dents anywhere on it. Looked like it just came out of the showroom, except I think the right rear signal stem was broken.
BLSully
Noob
Noob

Post by BLSully »

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I edited the image links (and added a couple more). Busy weekend being Labor Day, and busy first day back in the office, so I gotta get back to it, but I'll respond in more detail later :) Thanks!
BLSully
Noob
Noob

Post by BLSully »

OK, I've got a few minutes between things...

1) Yes both rear turn signals are broken at the stalk. I've not inspected them in detail, but I assumed some kind of polyurethane glue would likely bring them back into service and be stronger than the surrounding rubberized plastic. I'll think on the washer/self-tapper idea too.

2) This one will be part of the 'permanent collection' :) There are a couple bikes I would sell for the right money, but this one's a long term bike.

3) I'm in Southern WI, bike has lived in the Chicagoland area the past 20 years, not sure where before that. It has a replacement speedo with "231 miles" shown, but it's a replacement. The old speedo is in a box and I haven't looked at the mileage shown, but the bike presents very well... I can't imagine it has much more than a couple thousand miles on it.

4) I have the white radiator guard that goes between the lower chin spoiler and the tank, but it's not currently mounted. I would love to find a bikini fairing for around the headlight, but I'm guessing those are rarer than hens teeth (along with everything else for this bike :( )

I'll be fiddling with it here and there this fall. Probably commute on it occasionally. It needs a battery, new choke knob, and the rear turn signals fixed to be "100%". Plan is to just ride it and buzz around with the other small-cc bikes. Since it appears it's difficult to get engine internals, I want to ride it enough to keep the seals from hardening and needing a rebuild from disuse, but not so much as to wear it out. Makes me wonder the feasibility of a CR85 swap (or similar) for the future... I'll need some plan of action eventually.
motormike

Post by motormike »

BLSully wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 pm OK, I've got a few minutes between things...

1) Yes both rear turn signals are broken at the stalk. I've not inspected them in detail, but I assumed some kind of polyurethane glue would likely bring them back into service and be stronger than the surrounding rubberized plastic. I'll think on the washer/self-tapper idea too.Every broken stem I've ever seen that had been glued was ugly and usually broken again. I am not familiar with "poly"glue, so you may have a better success.

2) This one will be part of the 'permanent collection' :) There are a couple bikes I would sell for the right money, but this one's a long term bike.

3) I'm in Southern WI, bike has lived in the Chicagoland area the past 20 years, not sure where before that. It has a replacement speedo with "231 miles" shown, but it's a replacement. The old speedo is in a box and I haven't looked at the mileage shown, but the bike presents very well... I can't imagine it has much more than a couple thousand miles on it.

4) I have the white radiator guard that goes between the lower chin spoiler and the tank, but it's not currently mounted. I would love to find a bikini fairing for around the headlight, but I'm guessing those are rarer than hens teeth (along with everything else for this bike :( ) On Facebook page "Shifty 50", there is a large following of the NS50 and it's related motos. If you have fb account, check it out if you haven't already. One friend in specific, John Kaufman IV in KY has been accumulating spares for NS50.

I'll be fiddling with it here and there this fall. Probably commute on it occasionally. It needs a battery, new choke knob, and the rear turn signals fixed to be "100%". Plan is to just ride it and buzz around with the other small-cc bikes. Since it appears it's difficult to get engine internals, I want to ride it enough to keep the seals from hardening and needing a rebuild from disuse, but not so much as to wear it out. Makes me wonder the feasibility of a CR85 swap (or similar) for the future... I'll need some plan of action eventually.
Glad you've joined us here and given this thread a fine example of the OEM NS50F...mm... :urban:
RideRed
BLSully
Noob
Noob

Post by BLSully »

Thanks Mike,

I just applied to that group on FB.

Last night I went through the parts I got with the bike...

Original speedo says 3358 miles
Radiator Guard is actually NOS. Had all the hardware to mount it and the instruction sheet for putting it on

Also found one NOS turn signal in the box!

Sadly I sorta need 2, but hey, one's better than none.

Rode it to work this morning (about 18 miles on back roads) With the extra weight of my tank bag and typical riding gear, it struggled to maintain much over 55, but managed the hills OK. With some quick downshifting I was able to keep it over 45 on all but one really long and fairly steep hill. I'd like to know how well this motor responds to tuning... That carb is TINY, even for a 50... wonder if a slightly larger carb and a tuned pipe would wake up another pony or two. Anyone have any experience with performance tuning? I understand it's still "just a 50", but knowing what the Derbi/Honda/etc race bikes are capable of, I know there's wiggle room in there to get a solid 60-65mph out of it with the proper tuning. It seems like MopedDivision.com has a couple carburetors, a 70cc big bore kit, and a tuned exhaust. Curious if anyone has experience with the longevity/effectiveness of any of those combinations. I guess I'd suspect a CDI box with a modified timing map and a larger carb would likely do the trick without going to a big bore/loud exhaust, but I'm really not sure.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I am envious.. you really did well. Mine has 70cc kit on it, and came with a performance pipe that had a narrow power band, and was too loud for my taste. I went back to the stock pipe, and it didn't seem to affect the top end.. the stock pipe has a wider power band. In my mind, the biggest downside to the 70cc kit installed by a previous owner was that the oil pump was removed and blocked off, and now I have to premix oil and gasoline in the tank. I am not sure if that was necessary or if the stock pump can provide enough oil for the 70cc cylinder and piston. I'd have preferred if he had left it in, and if extra oil is necessary, a small amount could be added to the gasoline when filling up.

Is that non-factory black thing on the right side of yours near the bottom of the side body work a 12V charging port, or something else. If the P.O. drilled a hole in the side body for that that is a shame..
BLSully
Noob
Noob

Post by BLSully »

vintagegarage wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:13 am I am envious.. you really did well. Mine has 70cc kit on it, and came with a performance pipe that had a narrow power band, and was too loud for my taste. I went back to the stock pipe, and it didn't seem to affect the top end.. the stock pipe has a wider power band. In my mind, the biggest downside to the 70cc kit installed by a previous owner was that the oil pump was removed and blocked off, and now I have to premix oil and gasoline in the tank. I am not sure if that was necessary or if the stock pump can provide enough oil for the 70cc cylinder and piston. I'd have preferred if he had left it in, and if extra oil is necessary, a small amount could be added to the gasoline when filling up.

Is that non-factory black thing on the right side of yours near the bottom of the side body work a 12V charging port, or something else. If the P.O. drilled a hole in the side body for that that is a shame..
I can't imagine blocking off the oil pump was a necessity of a 70cc kit. The oil requirement should not be any different. I do know people for some reason don't trust the oil injectors.... it's common on the Kawasaki 2 strokes to block off the pumps and run premix. Frankly I've not had an issue with mine.

Yes, there's a charge port on the right side. You would probably not believe me, but my friend I got the bike from had intended to use it for an Iron Butt Rally. It ended up not being able to last long enough between rebuilds, but that was the goal. That charge port is really the only major "flaw" in the plastics, though. They'll polish up nicely.