Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Does anyone else own a Honda NS 50?

Post by Meatball »

Is this how much these things typically go for? Looks fun. I may go take a closer look at it this weekend...hmmm
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/6035300568.html
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Meatball wrote:Is this how much these things typically go for? Looks fun. I may go take a closer look at it this weekend...hmmm
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/6035300568.html
According to my experience in the last 5 years of watching, pricing, buying, riding, and selling NS50F's, That price is out of reason. Bikes with 1k-2k miles, fairings, documents, toolkits,, in pristine condition, ...those bikes bring 1500-1900. Average bikes, more miles, no Tach, no fairings, running, $1,000 is reasonable.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
tomjontomtom
BMX
BMX

Post by tomjontomtom »

if you were buying from a shop, that'd be a good price. assuming everything is inspected, adjusted and new/good as new.

private seller? I'd probably ask for 2500 and settle for $1800 if I were selling.

so question: Anyone put an HPI on the ns50f? hpi doesn't provide a listing for the AC08. Would an nsr50 hpi fit?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Strong possibility of another NS50F coming home with me.
:thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink: :thumbwink:
Attachments
Honda NS50F.jpg
Honda NS50F.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 15195 times
RideRed
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

Very cool!
tomjontomtom
BMX
BMX

Post by tomjontomtom »

http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4093919

Someone is selling a minty looking ns50f with full fairings, rare tach and 700 miles. $2300

check it out
motormike

Post by motormike »

...I'm back... :urban:
Attachments
Georgia 2017 007.JPG
Georgia 2017 007.JPG (172.3 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
Georgia 2017 006.JPG
Georgia 2017 006.JPG (171.95 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
Georgia 2017 005.JPG
Georgia 2017 005.JPG (171.18 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
Georgia 2017 004.JPG
Georgia 2017 004.JPG (171.19 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
Georgia 2017 001.JPG
Georgia 2017 001.JPG (172.43 KiB) Viewed 15130 times
RideRed
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

Ok, a quiz for the NS50F experts here!

Even though I love my NS sometimes my back tells me a slightly less aggressive handlebar position would be more comfortable. I just ran across this short video showing a highly modded NS with a swapped out triple clamp setup that mounts a standard bar. I sent a note to the author of the video but no word back yet. Though the bike appears to have the Japan spec cast wheels any Japan spec bikes I've seen have the clip on type bar mounts similar to the USA bikes. Any ideas where the triple clamp on the bike in this video may have came from? It surely gives one more bar options.

Thanks! Video here> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mOeULqmiI
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

I'm thinking maybe that NS50F has MB5 forks and triple clamp (soda/bead blasted bare) mated to a Japan spec wheel and perhaps an aftermarket disc setup? I'll take some measurements and ask some MB5 guys in regards to the top clamp geometry. It would be easy to figure out if I still had my MB5, but it moved south to a new owner a few years back. That said a standard bar clamp opens up lots of bar and rider position possibilities. I'm not looking for a fully vertical riding position on my NS, but something a little less hunched over would be nice.

Here the other video of the same "cafe racer" modded NS50F with the drag bar setup. Looks like an old Elsinore or perhaps XR75 gas tank was adapted which actually looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNJn34DEeY&t=18s
GKinTN
Goped
Goped

Post by GKinTN »

I guess I have a current monopoly on the thread! Not to distract from my original question here is an interesting read. As I ponder how even 100 miles on my NS isn't the most comfortable here is a crazy Canadian that did over 1600 miles in under 33 hours on an NS50F, back when he was a youngster of 60.

http://bobmunden.blogspot.com/2008/07/1 ... cubic.html

Just now also learned that his NS50F is now at the Barbers motorcycle museum.
motormike

Post by motormike »

GKinTN wrote:I guess I have a current monopoly on the thread!

...almost...but I'm still here... :urban:
RideRed
tomjontomtom
BMX
BMX

Re: Official NS50F thread

Post by tomjontomtom »

I'd put my money on those being MB5 forks. The stem tube of the ns50 will accept many dirt bike forks, includiing the cr80, ysr and kx. I personally don't think the MB5 forks are an upgrade at all... and theyre difficult to find for a good price.

Definitely slap some cone bearings in there with whatever you go for.
EeroW
Noob
Noob

Post by EeroW »

I'm finally getting back into my ns50. My goal is to make it to the True Grits run this year, and hopefully Barber Vintage Rally with some bikes I need to sell. I'm expecting a kid in November so I know I need to get my fun stuff out of the way!

I have been looking for some items to spruce up this bike. It needs new coolant lines, and I can only seem to find 5/8" hose. What is out there that looks good and fits without bulging hoses from too big of a diameter? Spiro had some good looking stuff, but I don't want to copy his style (couldn't if I tried).....

My Charmo kit produced some crazy detonation issues that most likely was the source of most of my woes. Be careful running larger diameter bores on stock heads! The image shows the damage done by the detonation. This link is a great article and describes the condition i was experiencing called detonation failure. http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/ ... asics.html

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B65qz ... dEMXNVODRn

I've got an amazing resource nearby that will help me get the squish reset and potentially enlightening me on porting for this bike. He set a land speed record with this engine back in the 90s. Pretty pumped to meet the guy. I'll share what I find out and maybe try to get some blueprints for those who like to dig in deep.

Hope everyone is well. Ride safe, but have fun!
steezin_and_wheezin
Noob
Noob

Post by steezin_and_wheezin »

Rad, definitely keep us posted on all that! d*** that head got some serious pinging!! You going to keep working with the Charmo cyl and rework the stock 50 head to match compression chamber?

I finally got these Pilot sporty's massaged enough to be rideable. Never had a set of tires give me so much fight to seat/bead evenly. I knew I was putting a bit too much on the stock spokers. Didn't think once they were on the hoop that they would be such a chore to even out. First test ride after the shop put them was miserable. Front wheel was lumping over so bad I felt like I was on a pogo stick! Rear wasn't much better and the combo of the pair was so off my revs would surge from the unevenness. First thing I did was pull them back off the bike and re-balanced them. After that didn't help I deflate/debead them and tried to persuade them to bead more evenly with my rubber mallet. That helped a bit, but still was far from rideable. After I was looking closer I could see I had a pinch(for lack of better work) spot that was causing the bead to seat deeper and creating a high spot on the tire's contact belt.

Felt like giving up every time I tried to get them even. Each time I seemed to make some progress though. Started looking at picking up another set of less aggressive tires. Hated that idea after seeing the new tar as well as feeling how it rides with the bigger tires on. Rolls out much better and strains less with up 55+. Riding at those speeds with wonky tires wasn't the best choice, but mopedz. Then I started to look into getting the ns-1 front/rear setups like I have dreamed of. Parts price were crazy low, but shipping from Japanland was outrageous. I even dropped by a local suzuki shop and asked the guy his personal opinion. He said he thought it was just too much and aggressive of a tire for the old stock spoke hoop.

Redetermined to get this thing somewhat rideable I scoured the net for tips and tricks. Ran across some guys running a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. Torquing the strap and inflating the tire. Most used this method to get a tubeless tire to start beading, but thought I could maybe use that technique a bit. After deflating/debeading again I removed the valve stem securing nuts and pushed the valve steams back into the tires to insure the tube wasn't being pinched in the tire's bead. Rear pushed it no probs, but the front was definitely pinched in the bead. Had to really force it down into the tire and of course I pushed it all the way through the hoop! Not to future self keep the nut on the top of stem to keep entire stem from disappearing into the wheel! After getting a friend to help push weigh on the front end I was able to recover the stem. After running the strap around the tire's circumference I started noticing a small bulge in the front and rear tires. So I tossed another strap around the rim and those areas to help keep them in line.

First I would torque the circumference strap then massage the tire beads in deeper(with mallet and hands) then torque the second strap squeezing the bulges in. Pressurize the tube to 60psi, rest up(manual bike pump haha), remove straps, repressurize to 60, let sit for a moment then reduce pressure to desired level. Ride to warm the tire up then rise/repeat until they were close enough. I'll pull the front again sometime to check that it's still in balance, but for now she's rolling much much better!

Rear

Front

Out enjoying the hard work!

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

steezin_and_wheezin.. I sent you a PM about a month ago, but it it doesn't look like you read it yet. I'm hoping that you just didn't know you had a PM. I'm posting a reply here, because if you are following this post, you might get an email notice... apologies to everyone else following this thread.