Official NS50F thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Official NS50F thread

Post by vintagegarage »

I don't plan to sell the NS50 for a while and Adam has first dibs on it if I do. I have seen a number of scooters at the Grits, including Metropolitans, and with the 125 Grom class added, I think there will be some 125 scooters mixed in there too. noiseguy should definitely go, and bring one of his scooters..
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I worked some more on the NS50 this week. I tried out the stock exhaust system, and like it much better than the Tecno Performance Exhaust. First of all, it is much quieter. Secondly, instead of having the narrow power band of the Tecno. it has a very broad power band. I can come off the line now at 3,000 RPM, and pull smoothly all the way to the red line. In higher gears, I can smoothly accelerate from about 4,000 RPM. The Techno had nothing below about 7,000 RPM, and when you hit 7,000, acceleration was so massive that it would almost wheelstand in third and fourth gears. It was very thrilling to ride, but not much fun coming off the line in first gear at 7,000 RPM, making a hellava racket, and was fairly easy to stall as well. With the stock exhaust, starting from a dead stop is easy and predicable, and while there is no big rush at 7,000 like before, the top speed seems about the same.. hard to be sure as the speedometer runs off the end of the dial with either exhaust. The bike came with a selection of sprockets, and I am running a 17T front sprocket and a 43T rear sprocket and that seems about right. It accelerates smoothly in 6th gear from 4,500 RPM on up.

I also tossed out the handlebar end mirrors, and installed a nice set of SA50 mirrors I had on the shelf. They look pretty much as close as I could get to the original mirrors, which I haven't been able to find. I am using a pair of these adapters to convert from 10mm to 8mm mirrors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Universal ... SwRTVaYfVL

I also installed new grips, still available from Honda, and a new clutch handle lever to replace the wrong one that I assume was installed after the bike was laid down at speed on the left side.

Lastly, I installed new front brake shoes, and adjusted the brakes front and rear. The machine is now a real pleasure to ride. When I get tired of the riding position, I can sit upright and ride no handed down hills.. it tracks perfectly straight. Here is the current photo:

motormike

Post by motormike »

Great call on the pipe Vaughn.
I can probably sell the Tecno for you with one call.
When that AC08 engine is right, it starts first kick with no effort.
Well done, once again...mm... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mm.. PM me your snail mail address and I'll mail the Tecno pipe and muffler to you.. you can have them for free. If it doesn't sell, it might be a good item for a silent auction at Grits for their charity?

The pipe has one small problem. There is a rubber joint piece that doesn't show in the web page at:

https://www.mopeddivision.com/honda-nsr ... -exahaust/

The rubber piece looks like a piece of radiator hose and it connects the muffler to the pipe with two single-wire clamps, one at the pipe end and one at the muffler end, and looks to be a Tecno factory part. It is about an inch and a half long. Maybe it is made of silicone rubber or something more resistant to heat than a plain rubber hose. In any event, it was either slightly torn or I accidentally tore it when I removed the pipe and muffler from the bike. The tear is where the rear wire clamp is.. about 1/8 inch in from the muffler end right under the rear clamp. The part might be usable as is by moving the pipe clamp forward past the tear, or perhaps it can be replaced with an inch or two long piece of silicone hose. It could also be used with a wider clamp than the single wire clamp. A double wire clamp would work and look right. Here is a photo of the part, and also a photo of the other end of the pipe. I think the engine end of the pipe is in good shape.

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I came across this in Shimizu, Japan, today. Lots of mods on this one.. seat, rear deck, exhaust, front disk brake, wheels, headlight, dash, and more. Even though the rider's English language skills were equal to my Japanese language skills (both about zero), we had a good time discussing the mods and talking about riding one fast.. very enjoyable..

That is his girlfriend sitting on the bench in the background playing with her cellphone. This is her ride. Can anyone identify it?
motormike

Post by motormike »

I see a Honda wing. :shock:
RideRed
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda VTR 250 with an aftermarket cowl.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

:thumbwink:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am Greetings:

Honda VTR 250 with an aftermarket cowl.
I never would have guessed because I had the '89 example.
Attachments
vtr250.jpg
vtr250.jpg (181.21 KiB) Viewed 23103 times
RideRed
Ronnie G
Noob
Noob

Post by Ronnie G »

Greetings,

Short notice, but were planning on heading to the True Grits tomorrow.

Currently pouring down rain in Atlanta but supposed to clear up by Saturday.
My daughter will be riding a Kawasaki 90 and her friend will be on the MB5.
Ill be on an Aprilia RS50 so if anyone reads this stop by and say hey.
We were at last years True Grits but didn't ride due to daughter not feeling
comfortable in the sleet, rain and wet leaves.
See you there.
:peace:

Ronnie G
motormike

Post by motormike »

I was there Ronnie...riding XL75 with a buddy on his CB125.
The weather wasn't much better than last year, but I was determined to ride regardless.
I've been to 5 now. Wish it was held a month earlier, honestly.
This year, the cabin I've always rented has been taken out of service and I was forced
to stay 2 hours away to avoid extremely high rates. Had a last second scramble to find lodging.
RideRed
Dante
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante »

Hi from Argentina guys. I've been looking for an NS50F in good shape for the past months, here in Argentina isn't common to find an NS50F that hasn't been modified yet.
The ones that came here I think are the US Spec ones —white with pink and green decals— so I was wondering if it was going to be easy to me to find genuine parts if something is missing.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Dante wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:35 am Hi from Argentina guys. I've been looking for an NS50F in good shape for the past months, here in Argentina isn't common to find an NS50F that hasn't been modified yet.
The ones that came here I think are the US Spec ones —white with pink and green decals— so I was wondering if it was going to be easy to me to find genuine parts if something is missing.
Answer is simply, "No", parts are scarce and expensive for NS50F in United States.
Bike was imported for only one year, and production number remains a mystery, but is very limited.
RideRed
Dante
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante »

motormike wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 pmAnswer is simply, "No", parts are scarce and expensive for NS50F in United States.
Bike was imported for only one year, and production number remains a mystery, but is very limited.
What a shame... would you recommend me an NS50F as a first bike? I will buy an restored one back to new, so it shouldn't have problems. :nervous:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Dante wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:25 pm
motormike wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 pmAnswer is simply, "No", parts are scarce and expensive for NS50F in United States.
What a shame... would you recommend me an NS50F as a first bike? I will buy an restored one back to new, so it shouldn't have problems. :nervous:
The NS50F is very nimble, easy to ride, but does require the rider/owner to have good understanding of two-stroke engines and the nature of their operation. While the bike will make 60 miles per hour with a load of 200 pounds, it does require working through the gears efficiently to obtain optimum performance. NOT designed to accept passengers...rider only. I say yes, buy it and enjoy much fun.
RideRed