Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

allisswell
Spree
Spree

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by allisswell »

dont have enough extra cash.. thought i would post this for someone... http://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/2550754175.html
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

dont have enough extra cash.. thought i would post this for someone... http://rmn.craigslist.org/mcy/2550754175.html
Gone already!

I've seen some nice Gyro's in MN C/L, way to far for me to pick up, but I've seen enough to know there's a following out there :thumbsup:
motormike

Post by motormike »

......hey mouse3wheeels....ever since you started this thread, the only pix of your trikes that I remember seeing are the recent zup-mobile....got any of the TG 50's :?: ....file photos will suffice....just curious to see your rides............ :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Old photo of TG50 near ready to ride. It was a former ocean beach rental. The shop welded kickstands on some of them.
Kickstand_scooter.JPG
Kickstand_scooter.JPG (91.9 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
motormike

Post by motormike »

....the kickstand probably became necessary when cables broke and owner chose the kwik-fix.....I had intentions of putting kickstand on my Cushman, but gave it to my daughter instead of letting it sit here and kill grass....seems the Nashville police preferred I not drive it around town anymore....no title....the extra motor sitting behind the gyro gives an interesting illusion.....rock-on..... :urban:
Attachments
cushman 005.jpg
cushman 005.jpg (203.12 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
RideRed
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

well i got my engine unsiezed and while putting it back together i broke one on the cylinder bolts off at the threads. now im stuck on how to get it out. any suggestions?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Nice Cushman!
iwhile putting it back together i broke one on the cylinder bolts off at the threads. now im stuck on how to get it out. any suggestions?
Torque spec: 6 - 9 fl/lbs. Here's a thread with extraction ideas:
Broken bolt extraction
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

well. i wrecked a gyro. i laid it down right down the road of my house. the luggage box lid is shattered and the rear fender is cracked. the left turn signal lens is shattered and the bracket is bent. and the muffler has got a dent in it. BUT IT STILL RUNS. i drove the thing home. along with my friend! she was on a gyro and rear ended me and i got all scraped up. man these things are like tanks!
motormike

Post by motormike »

I can't imagine HOW you could upset a gyro.....circumstances must have been severe!!!............................................................................. :coolcruise: :bump: :coolcruise:
RideRed
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Sorry about that and getting rear ended right after. :shock:
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

at the moment i cant even walk. but what happened is my uncle barely rides his gyros. so what happened was the front brake was all rusted up and when i tapped the front brake it locked up.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

you know how they say one thing leads to another? well my gyro wasnt starting cause it was low on oil. so what happened was my crank case dried up. eventually locking up. and the piston rings were shot. so i had no compression. so now my piston head is now scored. so we took it to a friend and he said he could get us new seals. he also said that he could bore the cylinder out to 60cc and that it would probably be best for my gyro. so we said yes. dont know how long it will be but i hope it turns out good
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

does anyone know if there are any scooters that use the same crank shaft or piston as the gyro?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The crank is unique to the Gyro. The output side is very short and hollow, to allow the right rear axle tip to slide within to stabilize the axle. The axle tip has a needle roller bearing like the connecting rod.
Gyro_Crankshaft.jpg
Gyro_Crankshaft.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Piston/Rings are easy. These will have a domed vs dished piston top, giving a bit more compression - Elite SA50 88-93, Aero 85-87, Elite SB50, Spree 86/87.
gyromaniac
Spree
Spree

Post by gyromaniac »

would there be any reason why a gyro would stuggle going up a hill. my gyro can barely go 10 up a hill but the gyro that i ride at my uncles can do almost 30. its like its on steroids or something. im thinking that the clutch plates are bad. anny ideas?