Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wentwest
Spree
Spree

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by wentwest »

I don't know whether the airbox will work, but you need to have one. These 2 cycle engines really need one. As far as whether you should buy the Gyro, I say YES! but then I'm another owner. It's just the silliest ride you can find. Slow and low and probably dangerous as * in traffic, because no one can see you, but what a grin. If you weigh more than 170 or so it's going to have issues with big hills.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Hello everybody on the gyro thread
I just found this thread and enjoyed reading it from start to finish. Found the hondaspree.net a few weeks back. Glad to see fellow gyro owners out there. Have a 86 gyro and cant wait till spring to fix her up and start riding.
its already in the 40's in buffalo. Too cold for painting. Was hoping to find some hop ups for the gyro, but there doesnt
seem thats there much in that department. Fun rides and greatt pictures on here.
jim
jcivince
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by jcivince »

Posting to this older thread - put it first in the Part Gyro thread but looked at more from Search and thought this one might be good as well.
I recently bought an 84 Gyro. Seller told me it was running fine all last year - had it at a local shop that reworked it all. But when he went to start it this year, wouldn't start. He didn't want to mess with it - put it on CL and I bought it ($450). I have since discovered it doesn't have the correct carb and the one on it doesn't have a choke (can get it to run but takes a while). Also, it sounds like the crank or maybe connecting rod bearing(s) have an issue.
Quick Questions:
1. I want to buy a full carb that will work well (I bought a Parts List from Japan - GJ5 appears to be the Gyro but also appears that it shares a lot of parts with NQ50 which I believe is the Spree of that same vintage). So, what carb should I buy, be it aftermarket or Honda OEM?
2. I would prefer to rebuild both the top and bottom end but here too I need to know what to buy (almost all of the critical parts are No Longer Available when I do look-up).
Thanks in advance!!!
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Gyros don't have a choke. They have a bystarter that opens and closes an enrichening circuit. It looks like a black cylinder about 3/4 inch diameter and 2 inches long, and it sticks out of the top of the carburetor, with 2 wires coming off it.

The 84 Gyro is quite different than the 85-86 Gyro. Do some Googling and you'll see. They share some parts, but not a lot.

Welcome to the world of Gyro. There aren't many of us, but we are smiling.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

jcivince
Dont take the engine apart until you have located gaskets, they are a challenge.
The later Spree piston can be used, but Honda OEM pistons are getting a little hard to find, try CMSNL Netherlands for parts, Metric Motorsports in Muskegon can bore the cylinder to match your new oversize piston.
The Gyro engine isnt perfectly quiet anyway, you may wish to hold off on that teardown.
That Gyro guy BIll Nieman should have a carb, OEM Honda carbs ( even used) are preferred over the china copies.
John
PS Gyro parts are easier to find than Honda MotoCompo parts.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
jcivince
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by jcivince »

Thansk Guys - I'll get in touch with That Gyro Guy on the carb and take your advice on holding off on the re-build for a bit. I'm hoping to get to Japan later this year (work) and try to get some parts. I tried to get original tires from a friend there and was told no one made them anymore (the square type) but was able to get some normal round tires at least.
Thanks Again!
Vince
jcivince
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by jcivince »

John = Did a member search for Bill Nieman but no match (also tried different combinations with That + Gyro + Guy). If you have contact info, please PM to me if you wouldn't mind.
Thanks!
Vince
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

bradthreee wrote:I want to sell my 1984 Gyro NN50. It's clean and located in SoCal. Registered and on planned non op. Send me an email if interested. Bradthreee@gmail.com
I still have this if anyone is intereted. Not in a rush to sell, but I would to the right buyer.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

niemannbill13@yahoo.com he used to advertise on Moped Army website and used to sell on Ebay.
I cannot locate his business card, but I think he is in Missouri . He is a nice guy and very helpful, but before you dispute his prices please remember he is pretty much the only source for parts, so don't make an enemy with him.
He was very helpful on the two Gyros, I did.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Johnniespeed wrote: He is a nice guy.............. before you dispute his prices please remember he is pretty much the only source for parts
My experience with Bill ended with his display of behavior that was very rude and childish. There is obviously a reason that Johnniespeed warns you of challenging his outrageous prices. Buyer beware.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Diplomacy opens doors and allows me to accomplish my goals.
Both Gyros turned out show quality and run great, mission accomplished.
Bill and I got along just fine, he even gave me a free part that I could not locate anywhere at any price.

But yes, I did include that advice for a reason.
The reason is..... that if you choose not to be tactful and polite , you will not achieve your goal.

wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

So johnniespeed wrote: "that if you choose not to be tactful and polite , you will not achieve your goal." Well, ain't that the truth? Works every time, even at the DMV.

And a CH250 is my go to scooter, too. A 1990. The best.
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

part2.JPG
part2.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
Well hello, I am the proud newish owner of a 1984 Gyro NN. I'll save my introduction and further details for another time and place, but right now I have a little mystery that I'm asking for some help in solving.

While doing some tweaking I found a part hung up near the swivel joint, and I couldn't identify it through the service manual, and I couldn't find any place where it looks like it fits. I'm really not sure that it even goes with this vehicle.

For reference the opening is approximately three quarters of an inch.
And its rubber.

I'm not sure how to upload this picture, so bear with me.
(attaching a different angle pic)
Attachments
p3.JPG
p3.JPG (48.79 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
part2.JPG
part2.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
I reserve the right to be completely wrong.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I have seen a similar snorkel inside the airbox on my '85 TG50m Gyro S.
It connects to the carb throat and protrudes inside the airbox, turning down and directing the intake air.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Gyroman
BMX
BMX

Post by Gyroman »

Thanks, I'll look.
Wish me luck.
I reserve the right to be completely wrong.